Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my second game of Micropolis with my wife and two daughters (9 and 12).

Wow! I really dig this game: super quick (30 minutes play time is pretty accurate) and the rules are straight forward! During our first game we had to go back to the rulebook to double check the effects of the special ants but they became really intuitive after that. Like many other games from Bruno Cathala, it’s all about choosing one of the many paths to get VP...decisions, decisions!

Building an ant colony is probably not everyone’s cup of tea but at least it’s an original theme. The art and production are excellent!

I wouldn’t be surprised if this game was in consideration for the Spiel de Jahres next year! Great stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
i was really hyped about this game.

i have never played it, but i feel like its a 'just' a mix of his other games, Kingdomino (tile placeing), Five tribes/Yamatai picking tiles.

im doubt this will bring anything new to my shelf

maybe it's the 30min game time that's the selling point of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DennisDK82 wrote:
i was really hyped about this game.

i have never played it, but i feel like its a 'just' a mix of his other games, Kingdomino (tile placeing), Five tribes/Yamatai picking tiles.

im doubt this will bring anything new to my shelf

maybe it's the 30min game time that's the selling point of this game.

Indeed, IMHO it doesn’t bring anything new to the table but everything about this game is streamlined and polished.

And it’s fast! We played another game this morning: 3 players and we were done in 20 minutes (including setup and packing).

My only gripe is about the expert rules for 2-3 players where you build 2 colonies instead of one! I haven’t tried it yet but I feel like you’re playing 2 games at the same time: I don’t see the point! I wish that they could come up with something like in Kingdominoes where you build a larger field in the expert variant. But the circular nature of the player’s board in Metropolis probably made things really hard for the designers.

Oh well, it’s not like Mr Cathala doesn’t have other awesome two players games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikki pontius
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for commenting Christian. Feedback is always appreciated.

Nikki @Surfin' Meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it seems like this is a light family/gateway type game, correct?

Very intrigued by this one but i dont need another of these types of games so i may have to pass. I definitely want to give it a try at least. It looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Mann
United States
Gladstone
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of building an ant colony in a game. I watched a game play video and am I missing something or on your turn do you simply draw a tile and place it on your colony?
If I am right in that assumption then the whole game is basically 10 turns where you choose 1 tile per turn from the available tiles.
The strategy being trying to get 10 tiles that work together to give you the most points from combos.

Seems a little simplistic but sounds great for younger kids. Maybe I am missing something in the game play?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikki pontius
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joel,

There is also the cost of a tile. You begin the game with only 5 ants. the first tile in the line is free. To buy a tile further up the line you must place an ant on every tile until you reach the tile you want to take. At the end of the round if you have more ants than the other players on your foundation tile you get the start player marker that is 5 points if you still have it at the end of the game. So there is a bit of a balancing act between the tile you want and the amount of ants you want to give up. Also the ants you placed on the tiles you did not want will go to the player that takes a tile with an ant on it, so sometimes you forgo a tile you want because you do not want the next player to get an ant.

Nikki @surfinmeeple_usa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.