Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Hi.
I’m looking for medium weight games which have specific victory conditions instead of point counting during end game.

Player count 2+
Time below 2 hrs will be best. Max 3 hours.
Asymmetric powers is a plus.
Thematic is a plus.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cosmic Encounter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Space Empires: 4X
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few you may wish to check out.
1775: Rebellion
Lewis & Clark
The Oracle of Delphi
The Quest for El Dorado
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Press PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actmoon wrote:
I’m looking for medium weight games which have specific victory conditions instead of point counting during end game. ~ Max 3 hours.
- Asymmetric powers is a plus.
- Thematic is a plus.
I'm going to go out on a limb & push the envelope of complexity . . .

GMT COIN Series -- starting with Cuba Libre.
___Hybrid game design (see the forums ~). It will definitely take (3) hours your first time with four players; but that should lessen. You track victory conditions as you go (and watch thresholds!). It very well fits your asymmetric desire & request for theme/history. Finally, this COIN is the design most recommended for learning the system -- accommodates 2P well. There's a lot of choice here if your group has even the smallest historical interest. ~ Cheers and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the suggestions so far! i'll probably go find some game play videos to help with the selection.

if anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to add on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it myself so don't know what it's like but might fit your requirements - Vast: The Crystal Caverns.

You play as either the knight, the dragon, goblins, thief or the cave itself and all have different actions and victory conditions.

Steampunk Rally is also based on who gets the furthest rather than points with variable player powers.

For two players only, there's Raptorbut maybe not what you're looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Neill
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
The game I am developing is exactly what you're looking for. The only downfall is it's only available on Tabletop Simulator right now. We are seeking playtesters

Will be hitting Kickstarter near the end of the year.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/241432/descendants-realm...

I would also recommend Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humpty Dumpty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Inis meets all your criteria except for not having asymmetric powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Here, Kitty, Kitty!
Sequence
7 Wonders Duel
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Archipelago.

It plays good with 2 or more. The game actually ends once certain conditions have been met. The conditions that end the game are determined by cards that are dealt upon setup. You only know the end condition of your own card, so someone else may end the game. But you still do final scoring based on your own card and everyone else's. There are end condition cards for short, medium, and long games. I think even the long game would fit in under 3 hours with 2.

No asymmetric powers but you can bid on special characters/buildings which give you special abilities and rewards that nobody else has.

And I think the game is very thematic, colonizing the area and using the natural resources, while trying to insure the natives do not revolt.

It might lean a bit toward "medium-heavy" but I didn't think it was all that bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If COIN is allowed then maybe have look at the Pax series of games.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/44079/sierra-madre...

The rules are a bit notorious but once you've got it they're fairly straightforward to play in my experience.

The win conditions are dynamic, and controlled by card play, which activates or switches different win conditions. Points are involved, but there are other factors as well - the type of points, areas controlled on the map (not necessarily by you), tokens out on the map, disruptor cards etc, which mean it's far far removed from "I got 53, how many did you get?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Lam
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oracle of Delphi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.