Hide
9 Posts

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles» Forums » General

Subject: Was this a good decision? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T Tardi
msg tools
Been looking through comments on gameplay videos, forums, grapevine etc. And i have been getting a lot of mixed messages on whether or not this game looks good. Many comments not understanding the large amount of hype. Some saying it looks fantastic. Some saying its a reskin of conan. Some saying its a much better version of conan (which i havent played) just want everyones opinion on whether or not backing this game was a good idea or not because i am getting a lot of mixed messages and i do not know what to think anymore at this point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fantastic looking improved version of Conan. Now, to know if it is worth it for you, I guess you'll need to wait a year before you can play it and then make up your mind. Either way, being batman and kickstarter exclusive the resell value will be high enough to recover any costs made if you end up not liking it. So there is little risk. Either you'll like it, or you'll be able to sell it to someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
It's a fantastic looking improved version of Conan. Now, to know if it is worth it for you, I guess you'll need to wait a year before you can play it and then make up your mind. Either way, being batman and kickstarter exclusive the resell value will be high enough to recover any costs made if you end up not liking it. So there is little risk. Either you'll like it, or you'll be able to sell it to someone.

Given we dont know the future you cannot say will be high enough. It may be. But then again perhaps not. The likelihood of a reprint Kickstarter is incredibly high based on what Monolith have said, so that’ll really hurt your resale.

Not saying you wont be able to flip for a good return, but it’s best to be informed - there’s no guarantee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gillis
msg tools
mbmb
Having played both Conan and a demo from Batman, I can tell you it's an improved version of the gameplay in Conan but in the Batman universe.
It was a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it was a good decision... because Batman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You're asking on the Batman forum. Of course you'll receive an resounding chorus of "yes, it was worth it."

I didn't back Batman. The thought of going all in never crossed my mind. I was on the fence about the base pledge. It's a pretty good deal, but it could probably use at least one more map tile.

I didn't back Batman because of the cost. I personally didn't want to spend $140 plus shipping on the game. I like Batman and I like minis, but the gameplay didn't catch my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never understand the argument of "just a reskin of conan".

It's a completely different theme/IP pick the one you like better.

If you break down games to just there mechanics, a lot of games will feel the same. I never understood the idea of buying a game just because the mechanics of it were "great but maybe that's because I'm newish to board games and I came in at a time when we could pick games that called out to use theme wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's a reskin of Conan. It uses the same system. That's not a secret, and pretty much everyone should say that if asked what the game system is like. Batman is essentially Conan 2nd edition, but with the Batman skin, much as FFG's Star Wars Imperial Assault was essentially Descent 3rd Edition, just with the SW skin. Since Batman is a newer version of the Conan rule set, it is likely to be improved to some degree, especially considering how ranged combat is going to be more prevalent.

I have not played Conan, but I've seen the system in reviews and thought it looked great! I loved the energy crystal idea, deciding whether to go "all-in" with a number of attacks, knowing it may leave you vulnerable later, or be balanced, keeping some crystals in reserve. Also, being able to be so freeflow with the heroes turns, rather than the usual "you've moved and attacked, so your turn is done for the round" is a great concept. Hearing there was going to be a Batman version of this game, an IP which I really like, and moreso than Conan, backing this was a no-brainer for me.

That Monolith has learned from their experience with Conan and is making sure that everything released in the KS has a use within a scenario, ensuring there are no useless minis, is reassuring after hearing about some of the backlash regarding Conan. Hearing from people who still play it that Monolith has done a good job supporting their product with new scenarios which get posted on their website is also reassuring, meaning Batman will likely get the same support. Free scenarios, even if they are released at a later date, is great!

So really, you need to judge for yourself whether or not you made a good decision in backing Batman. Watch some games (or even better, play some games) of Conan and ask yourself if you like the system. Also, do you like the Batman IP? If you said "no" to both of those questions, you've made a horrible mistake. If you said "yes" to both of those questions, you should be golden. If you only said "yes" to one of those questions...well, that's debatable then. Only you can decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some people, this is going to be the game of the year. For others, it will be something they play once and put on a shelf and maybe get it out again later. For yet others it will be something that arrives and they think "I should get to that" in 2021.

I remember when the first Gloomhaven campaign happened and there were people giving lots of reasons why they wouldn't back it. I suspect many of them did back it in the 2nd campaign because of all the reviews. I got the first one, and it's good and we play it about once every 4-6 weeks, but it doesn't make me think it's the #1 game of the year, let alone of all time.

When Conan arrived it sat unopened in it's box for over a year, and I didn't even think about playing it. Then once day a friend was talking about Batman (which I had already put money aside for) and said he wished he could play Conan. So I pulled out the box and surprised him with it. We played it a few times and had a blast. Conan is a game I am really wanting to play more, and it's justified my decision to go all-in on Batman.

However, people who were salivating over Gloomhaven and desperate for it to arrive after scorning it were miserable mine was sitting on the shelf being opened rarely. Everyone is different.

Get it. Play it. See if it's fun for you. If it is, great, you have scored a victory. If it isn't, I am sure there is someone who will take it off your hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.