Fresco» Forums » General

Subject: Fresco Big Box or Archipelago w/ 2 exp? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinicius Reimann

Alaska
msg tools
mbmb
Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if something is wrong (correct me please) ... I have the opportunity to acquire Fresco Big Box or Archipelago with both expansions, but unfortunately I can only have one ... Which of the two would you choose? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Archipelago, but I do like Fresco.

The one negative about Fresco, for me, is it's really, solidly a 4p game. I would be willing to play it with 3, but would probably prefer to play something else instead. I wouldn't play it with 2.

If your player count isn't exactly 4 often enough, that would be a vote against Fresco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
If you are going to be playing with new gamers I believe Fresco is simpler, so easier to teach and understand. The theme helps understanding the game mechanics. Plus it is visually appealing.

Archipelago has many more rules and the theme does not help me remember them like Fresco does. Archipelago may be more replayable without feeling played out because of the variety of objectives and the brinkmanship aspect (if I remember correctly) of making the leader spend resources to prevent everyone from losing the game. You might prefer this if you looking to challenge experienced gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina Bushey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
I don't know Archipelago, but I do like Fresco.

The one negative about Fresco, for me, is it's really, solidly a 4p game. I would be willing to play it with 3, but would probably prefer to play something else instead. I wouldn't play it with 2.

If your player count isn't exactly 4 often enough, that would be a vote against Fresco.

I have not played Archipelago, so I can’t help the op with a comparison, but I love Fresco at 2 players. It just feels different at 3-4p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
They are wildly different games. If you don't know exactly what you're getting into with Archipelago, then I'd probably go with Fresco which is a much simpler, more traditional euro game. Having said that, I don't think I'd get the big box unless you were getting it for a killer deal. The basic game with the 3 included expansions is really all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.