Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to discovering what could go wrong wth the luck of dice rolls, count me in.
We've had three games literally spoiled by a first roll 6 when on the van recently.
Bad? Yeah. And also not very thematic too: rules state that you spawn one monster for each hero when arriving on scene because of the noise.
My two cents is that it's how first player's turn starts, thematically speaking.

So what do you think of skipping first player's roll of the dice?
I mean, let's face it: no other tile exposed, it's just a case of "ok we didn't actually start playing (as in movong, stuffing, spreading to avoid swarming) but we've got a 14% chance of having a really bad game..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When this happened to me, I was actually running a 6 player game teaching the game to 5 other people. I rolled a 6 as the first roll and honestly didn't know what to do. I decided on the fly to just give myself an additional monster and not an additional one for everyone else. So I sort of house ruled that in and it worked out okay. We might have been able to survive all having 2 monsters from the start but I didn't know and had to make a decision on the fly very quickly.

Now, I know, we should have all gotten a second monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We appreciate your ideas, but threads focusing on player-created rules and rules modifications should be posted in the Variants forum.

To address your actual concern, have you seen the new rule book on the Maximum Apocalypse? Mike has made several revisions to the rules there. I haven't checked it out yet myself, but maybe you'll find some of your concerned addressed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Sharkey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say maybe reroll any 6 on the first round to prevent this from happening at the start. With the upcoming expansion you could use the spawn token bag route and leave the #6 token out of the bag for the first round as well, adding it back in when round 2 starts.

OR

You could make the start of the game easier by not attaching monsters to each player’s, instead simply rolling to spawn as usual on your turn. This way the Van has parked safely but you simply risk rolling a 6 to attract a monster to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Brettschneider
Germany
Mainz
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we had a game (first Mutant scenario) that had two 6s during the first two spawn rounds. Tough luck, but we actually won it in the end (with one dead character, but still). I wouldn't call that "a really bad" game. Only "a really challenging one".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine wrote:
Well, we had a game (first Mutant scenario) that had two 6s during the first two spawn rounds. Tough luck, but we actually won it in the end (with one dead character, but still). I wouldn't call that "a really bad" game. Only "a really challenging one".

Yeah I thought I could play ot that way too but we play with the first dead lose rule so as to keep it funnier for every one :) so we wouldn't have won your game in fact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
We appreciate your ideas, but threads focusing on player-created rules and rules modifications should be posted in the Variants forum.

To address your actual concern, have you seen the new rule book on the Maximum Apocalypse? Mike has made several revisions to the rules there. I haven't checked it out yet myself, but maybe you'll find some of your concerned addressed?

haven't seen it yet, Thanks for telling me about it :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:

haven't seen it yet, Thanks for telling me about it :)

errr also where could I fond it? it's not on BGG, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to Variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:

No, it is linked from the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikegnade/maximum-apoca...

Here's a direct link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15LI_MqnFZpxUO6RaEBeGhzCGu1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

No, it is linked from the Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikegnade/maximum-apoca...

Here's a direct link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=15LI_MqnFZpxUO6RaEBeGhzCGu1...

Ok I read the rules for the upcoming expansion but they don't really solve the problem at hand, or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Engemann
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've read the new rules and they do not cover this; I think Dan was only suggesting the new rules just in case something was there (not having read turn himself).
So far we've found the scenarios relatively easy but we've only done the tutorial and the following two missions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krunk377 wrote:
I've read the new rules and they do not cover this; I think Dan was only suggesting the new rules just in case something was there (not having read turn himself).
So far we've found the scenarios relatively easy but we've only done the tutorial and the following two missions:D

Yeah it starts easy indeed. But after that: that bloody 6 as a first roll will really be a pain wherever you think that pain should be believe me. Game's tough as nails when not on easy mode XD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.