Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of adding cards to the crusade, both Robin Hood and Leopold V may play cards, revealed, as an Outcome of the Crusade.

1.Do these cards reduce the number of cards drawn from the Crusade deck or not, i.e. in a three player game are the normal six cards drawn from the Crusade Deck (two per player) regardless of whether Leopold V chooses to play his cards as an Outcome of the Crusade? This would mean that a total of eight cards (six from the deck, two from Leopold) affecting the tracks in the Outcome of the Crusades resolution in this situation.

We played that such cards do nor reduce the number of cards drawn from the Crusade Deck as there is nothing in the rules to suggest this, but one of the players asked this question.

2. When do Robin / Leopold play these cards, i.e. before or after the cards drawn from the Crusade deck are revealed as part of the Outcome of the Crusade?

We assumed that these are reveled before the cards drawn from the Crusade Deck are revealed as Marie of France's player card notes that she adds two additional cards to the Course of the Crusade after the other cards are revealed while Richard and Leopold's make no such reference.

PS this is a very enjoyable game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Gray
msg tools
We had a similar question when we played it.

1) We felt that as an Outcome we also reduced the number of cards drawn from the Crusade deck to take account of it
2) Our interpretation was that the card was played at the Contribution to the Crusade phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phil65gray wrote:
We felt that as an Outcome we also reduced the number of cards drawn from the Crusade deck to take account of it

We played it the other way, firstly because it would be very powerful for Leopold to add two cards to a pool that's only four other cards (and my feeling after two initial plays is that the neutral players are slightly favoured) and secondly because there's nothing in the rules to suggest this.

phil65gray wrote:
Our interpretation was that the card was played at the Contribution to the Crusade phase.

The Leopold / Robin cards say that the cards are played as part of the Outcome of the Crusade rather than the Contribution.

I've sent the queries to the CMON support email address and I'll post any response here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Fernandez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
we also interpreted as if the cards where put in after all cards by all players were put in that don't have this ability, but we were also wondering if Robin Hood needs to wait until the cards are all face up? Meaning, he sees what the cards for the crusade outcome is and then we can pitch in his card to swing the results. This of course, could be a little op

Please let us know if CMON clarifies on this. The rule book has explanations of each of the locations, but it doesn't expand on the usage of the character abilities.

Thanks in advance

Arex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I received the response below from CMON today:

"CSR Kisada, Apr 13, 10:19 EDT

Hello,
We are checking with the dev team to make sure but, I think your answers look good.

Thank you

CMON INC.
1275 Ridgeland Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30004, USA"

If / when I hear more I'll confirm, but for now I'll go with my interpretation as the response above supports it.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's the response from the developers:
"CSR Kisada (CMON)

Apr 16, 10:35 EDT

Hello,
From them,

1 - They add the cards to the Outcome. You can see on all texts the mention that cards are "added" to the Crusade Outcome.

2 - They play it before the cards are revealed.​

Thank you

CMON INC.
1275 Ridgeland Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30004, USA"

The first point doesn't actually answer the question posed, although CSR Kisada's initial post says I've got it right (plus as before, I see nothing in the rules to say that Robin and Leopold's abilities change the number of cards drawn from the crusade deck).

The second point is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
1 - They add the cards to the Outcome. You can see on all texts the mention that cards are "added" to the Crusade Outcome.

2 - They play it before the cards are revealed.​

For point #2, I do not understand how this helps you (and so, what is special about this ability). If you need to play your cards before the crusade deck cards are revealed, you might as well add them to the crusade deck during phase 4, no? How would it help you to wait and reveal them before phase 5? Would seeing the number of cards the other players have added in the deck help you decide what to do?

On the other hand, if the player can see the revealed cards of the crusade deck before revealing his own card(s), then this would feel like a "special ability" (although it would be pretty powerful for Leopold, if he has the right cards in his hand!)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you add cards to the crusade there is no guarantee that they will be drawn during that turn's Outcome - they may stay in the crusade deck while other cards are drawn.

With this ability, your chosen cards will go straight to the Outcome without having to be drawn from the crusade deck. This can be pretty powerful - if (say) you want two red banners in the outcome and you have then in hand, you can ensure they're in the Outcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
When you add cards to the crusade there is no guarantee that they will be drawn during that turn's Outcome - they may stay in the crusade deck while other cards are drawn.

With this ability, your chosen cards will go straight to the Outcome without having to be drawn from the crusade deck. This can be pretty powerful - if (say) you want two red banners in the outcome and you have then in hand, you can ensure they're in the Outcome.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that makes perfect sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.