Subject: Game Buying Weaknesses Anonymous (GBWA) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary Spilly
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often find myself searching for similar themes in games, and may be persuaded to buy them based on this aspect. Some times I struggle not to purchase a game because I know it might not play as well as others, but it has that specific theme, and even if I didn't like it, it would be welcome into the collection. Is this part of the addiction to buying games? I've been told that I don't have many good games because of this (Good games meaning games that everyone wants to play because the theme wasn't a factor, and the actual game play its self was considered).

Do we need to group together to support game choices and purchasing control? Or just let others know "It's ok, go buy that game no one wants to play, you are not alone."

What themes/items are your weakness in searching/owning/playing games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather join FNPTGW.

Pete (would find new people to game with)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I believe it is OK to buy new games as long as they are being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that what you are supposed to do with them?

I thought the typical Geek rushes to buy a game in some "Hot Deal", rates it, does a "shelfie", posts about how excited he is to get it to the table, before finally getting rid off it again as NIS copy in an auction, trade, or straight geekmarket sale because some new "Hotness" has popped up. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
It all depends what feels satisfying to you. Some people just like to buy games and own them, they get a thrill out of that. Other people like to actually play the games and don't want to keep anything that is unused. And so on and so on. If you've thought it out it's hard to think any rational person could feel differently than you do, and yet many people do.

Within the confines of the law as long as you're living your own truth does it matter what anyone else thinks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I think everyone who has a large game collection have thought about this.

Having too many games and not the time to play them but buying because one likes the theme. You read the reviews and just like to have that rare limited edition (ie Kickstarters).

I admit I sometimes buy on theme without regard too much for game play and balance.

Most times I do think very carefully about the type of game I am buying, but other times when there is a frantic sale, I buy games that may not be entirely what I like.

Of course, if you have tighter financial constraints then that forces you to be more selective.

In short it can get addictive and have a wish for more discipline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stonebraker

Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You realize that as we band together to give each other advice to help control our game buying, we're going to mention games others weren't aware of, and then we all buy MORE games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy every game you want, if you have the means then why not? It doesn't matter if you even ever play them so long as when you buy them you feel good about the purchase. You, or anyone, doesn't need parameters for buying games unless you yourself set them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Buy every game you want, if you have the means then why not? It doesn't matter if you even ever play them so long as when you buy them you feel good about the purchase. You, or anyone, doesn't need parameters for buying games unless you yourself set them.

Of curse, but unless you are super rich then storage becomes a problem. People will see your large collection as soon as they enter your house, so maybe put them in a more discrete place if possible. Also for security as you don't want people to knew you have a large collection. Do what you want, but there is common sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
crnzqpty wrote:
You realize that as we band together to give each other advice to help control our game buying, we're going to mention games others weren't aware of, and then we all buy MORE games. whistle

This is one of the reasons I decided not to participate in one of the no buy challenges this year. The previous year there was A LOT of talking about this game or that game, which felt very provocative. I started thinking about how games are kind of a commodity and started to referring to them generically. This was a big help to me in curbing my own buying, which was another major reason in not participating in the group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My weakness is having hoarding tendencies where I should have never gotten involved with board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the best control mechanism for new game purchasing is research and cool-off time. It's not just the same amount of research for every game either - it's more based on the price of the game itself.

For games $20 and under, if I'm intrigued enough by the concept I'll usually pick it up if a few quick text reviews make it sound appealing or if the concept is solid enough

Anything beyond that, I need to know that I will be enjoying what I'm getting. My impulsiveness diminishes exponentially, and amount of research increases - as do the odds of me finding legitimate reasons why I should or should not own a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been operating under the assumption that he who dies with the most games wins. You too, right?

My greatest weakness is bargains. It is also my protector. I never pay MSRP just because I want a game. Having a lot of games already makes me not in a hurry to get the latest hot thing. I can wait for a bargain.

Second weakness is limited edition deluxified versions of games (especially if I already know and love the game). Fear of missing out on these trumps my usual thriftiness. I have no regrets paying for the kickstarted deluxe Dungeon Lords, Orleans, Brass, Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
samlamiam wrote:
My greatest weakness is bargains. It is also my protector. I never pay MSRP just because I want a game. Having a lot of games already makes me not in a hurry to get the latest hot thing. I can wait for a bargain.

I find that when I like a game and can get it to the table it feels worth a lot more than MSRP. As such one of my qualifying questions is "would I pay full price for this game, plus shipping?" If the answer is No then it probably isn't worth owning at any price, no matter what a "bargain" it is at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.