9 Posts

Monsterpocalypse» Forums » General

Subject: Best Adhesive for Reattaching Figs to Base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a lot of used figs and a monster and a # of units were detached.
I tried crazy glue gel on a unit I have many of and got nowhere. Likewise with the less viscous regular crazy glue.

Am trying "GOOP" on one and letting it set up over night (It stays pliable after it's set up).

Anyone else have any suggestions in the event the GOOP is garbage?
Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Gorilla Super Glue, I find that works well when I have a difficult piece to bond.

Also 'Loctite' makes a 'plastics bonding system' similar to there super glue, find it in the same spot as the super glue. Only this has an activator which you apply first and let dry then you apply the glue on top and it creates a much stronger bond and it's just for plastics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular old super glue works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it. Where the flexible material of the fig meets the ABS base, it just slides around: No adhesion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Markovich
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you'll have to hold them together for a few minutes without moving the parts until the glue sets up. That's the downside. But once it's dry it should be a solid bond. Super glue basically melts the plastics a little bit and then dries it all together.

You can also take an xacto knife and score the area on both parts where they meet. That gives the glue a bit of an area to get in to.

If it's a fig like Defender X and he's broken at the waist, you'll probably have to pin it together along with the glue. He's just too top heavy and there's too small of an area where the parts join to get a solid bond. But he tends to be the exception rather than the rule for these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Gustavel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
hair10 wrote:
Super glue basically melts the plastics a little bit and then dries it all together.

No, that isn't what super glue does. You're thinking plastic cement, but I don't think plastic cement will work will work on this material.

To the OP, if the superglue isn't bonding fast enough, you might try an accelerant like zipkicker to speed it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"GOOP" worked tits.
Has flex and it's grabby.
Should be everyone's go to for these figs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin duda
United States
fremont
California
flag msg tools
hair10 wrote:
Super glue basically melts the plastics a little bit and then dries it all together.

no, that's plastic weld.

superglue creates a strong but brittle bond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel Control and it worked perfect. Set in seconds, and stays on with no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.