Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles» Forums » General

Subject: What We Know... Which WIll Assuredly Not Lead to Rampant Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
- Besides the description above, we know this is a retail release planned to come out around Essen. Isaac would like to have this expansion available online and in FLGS as soon as possible following Essen.

- The expansion is being designed by Marcel Cwertetschka, who not only is an amazing and helpful presence on the Gloomhaven boards as Morthai (which many of you know) but also designed Scenarios 52-58, and 81 in the original Gloomhaven! Marcel also alpha and beta tested the game extensively and developed some of the mechanics, monsters(darn Harrower Infester!), and items we have all come to love. I know very few of you likely need any intro to Marcel, but wanted to post here anyway in case any of you have not come across him just yet!

- This expansion and all of Marcel's work are endorsed 100% by Isaac (who as I understand saw the new scenarios some time ago and really liked them.) Issac himself will be working on a larger expansion to Gloomhaven throughout 2018.

- There will be 21 scenarios which will have story choices, which indicate it is not an entirely linear path, just like the base game. One of the scenarios will (likely) be a solo scenario for the new class, the Aesther Diviner. Accordingly, one of the new 14 items is likely to be her solo scenario reward.

- The scenario book might not include the full contents of each room on a single page, increasing surprise for player groups.

- Spoiler for those who want to know NOTHING about the new class.

Character Mechanics
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Aesther Diviner is a low-HP magic-wielder that focuses on manipulating the enemy decks and/or attack modifier decks in some way.
See Imaria's post below if you want even more detail on the Diviner mechanics as well as to see a sculpt of the figure.

Character Relevance to Plot
The Diviner is integral to the story to the point where her personal quest is tied to the plot of Forgotten Circles.

Please correct the above if I have made any errors!

---------

My own thoughts/hopes:

- Since this occurs after Gloomhaven's story, I can see equal cases for using your existing party versus having to create a new one like for the community campaigns. I lean towards a new party since presumably you'd want to start the Diviner at Level 1 to get a feel for the class!

- Based on the cover, I'm really intrigued to see any other art and design pieces that get produced - this rainbow/spectral motif is a nice and fresh addition to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you 100 % sure this is not an April hoax? I ask because the expansion is nowhere to be found on the Cephalofair homepage. And this sentence:

Quote:
Article translated from Spanish says ...
makes me think twice. Why should the original source be in Spanish?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Complex wrote:
Are you 100 % sure this is not an April hoax? I ask because the expansion is nowhere to be found on the Cephalofair homepage. And this sentence:

Quote:
Article translated from Spanish says ...
makes me think twice. Why should the original source be in Spanish?
100% sure. Confirmed by both Marcel and Isaac. Clarified not to be a hoax numerous times, and there was a week-long community scavenger hunt regarding this expansion to coincide with a March 31st celebration of Gloomhaven reaching #1 on the Board Game Geek rankings. It's a fair enough question, which is why it was addressed very swiftly when it came up on the BGG Gloomhaven forums. As for the article in Spanish, my post tried to collect everything I could find from BGG, Reddit, YouTube, and Facebook - the article is just one of many sources of info, the same has now been said in English in multiple areas including official BGG news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then

PARTY laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Complex wrote:
Well then

PARTY laughlaugh
Haha and sorry for the dense reply - trust me, the timing made everyone pause for a sec! Party, indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Germany
flag msg tools
I am really looking forward for this expansion! It is very nice that this one is developed in parallel to the big expansion Isaac is currently working on. What I am mostly interested to know concerning both expansions is how they will interact with existing campaigns. Will we be able to continue them with all unlocked progress or will we have to start from the beginning like in the community driven events? This would pretty much also determine if I will finish playing all of the base game scenarios right now or if I rather wait until the expansion is there to have some additional things left to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
Yeah - it's always nice when those small games receive some additional content not to make "finished" after a couple of plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all mostly correct. I can't say for sure how the timing of everything will play out, as there are still a lot of unknowns, but my goal is to have the game in stores directly after Essen, not 1-2 months later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnnie mackey
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
laugh

Great to hear! Really excited for this and everything to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
US stores or world wide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaria Prime
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Diviner was demo'd the night it was released on Alucard2004's twitch channel by Marcel Cwertetschka (Morthai) himself. You can see the video here.

Some highlights not mentioned above:
The Diviner has abilities to alter the attack modifier deck, by looking at it and changing the order of the cards, or sticking some on the bottom of the deck.

They also have "rifts", a new class-specific feature. Playing a rift card does two things: it allows the Diviner to place a Rift Token (within X range, determined by the card) on a hex location (not tied to a specific creature or character) AND gives all Rift Tokens an effect for the round.

For example, one card placed a Rift Token and then made it so any ally passing over a Rift that round gained a Bless. If this was the first Rift card played in the scenario, that would mean there was one Rift on the board that people could pass over for blessing. But if later, the Diviner played another Rift card (this one gives the ability that all Rift tokens give Disarm to enemies who pass over them), then they would place a Rift token again, and now there would be TWO Rift locations that Disarm that round. Rift tokens are persistent on a specific hex, up to a maximum of 6 Rifts (the number of tokens).

She also has a new type of Move modifier, Teleport. At this point, it seems a lot like Jump, except that it somehow bypasses EVERYTHING between the start and end points (perhaps there will be non-jumpable obstacles?) as well as the whole Teleport counting as a single step of movement (not sure how that matters yet, either).

I may have missed and/or forgotten stuff from the video, as it was very late at night. If anyone watches it and catches any other details, add them back here!

Edit: OH! There was a preview of the figure sculpt posted as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
This is all mostly correct. I can't say for sure how the timing of everything will play out, as there are still a lot of unknowns, but my goal is to have the game in stores directly after Essen, not 1-2 months later.
Thank you, Isaac! Edited the original post to reflect this, as well as to include some info from Marcel and another tidbit I missed before.

I really appreciate how involved you guys are on these boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
imaria wrote:
The Diviner was demo'd the night it was released on Alucard2004's twitch channel by Marcel Cwertetschka (Morthai) himself. You can see the video here.

Some highlights not mentioned above:
The Diviner has abilities to alter the attack modifier deck, by looking at it and changing the order of the cards, or sticking some on the bottom of the deck.

They also have "rifts", a new class-specific feature. Playing a rift card does two things: it allows the Diviner to place a Rift Token (within X range, determined by the card) on a hex location (not tied to a specific creature or character) AND gives all Rift Tokens an effect for the round.

For example, one card placed a Rift Token and then made it so any ally passing over a Rift that round gained a Bless. If this was the first Rift card played in the scenario, that would mean there was one Rift on the board that people could pass over for blessing. But if later, the Diviner played another Rift card (this one gives the ability that all Rift tokens give Disarm to enemies who pass over them), then they would place a Rift token again, and now there would be TWO Rift locations that Disarm that round. Rift tokens are persistent on a specific hex, up to a maximum of 6 Rifts (the number of tokens).

She also has a new type of Move modifier, Teleport. At this point, it seems a lot like Jump, except that it somehow bypasses EVERYTHING between the start and end points (perhaps there will be non-jumpable obstacles?) as well as the whole Teleport counting as a single step of movement (not sure how that matters yet, either).

I may have missed and/or forgotten stuff from the video, as it was very late at night. If anyone watches it and catches any other details, add them back here!

Edit: OH! There was a preview of the figure sculpt posted as well!

Thanks Imaria! This is awesome to see more about the class. Adding a note in the original post for folks to check your post if they want to see more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Door
msg tools
Will this be a kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brenner
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
RPGFanboy wrote:
Will this be a kickstarter?
As of now, this is plenty to only be a retail release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukePhoenix wrote:

- The expansion is being designed by Marcel Cwertetschka, who not only is an amazing and helpful presence on the Gloomhaven boards as Morthai (which many of you know) but also designed Scenarios 52-58, and 81 in the original Gloomhaven!
scenario #52 is the only one we encountered so far which seemed objectively very badly designed, hope that was the fluke, not the a sign of what's to come in this expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:

scenario #52 is the only one we encountered so far which seemed objectively very badly designed
By what measure? I thought it was...

Short. It took all of three rounds. So yeah, kind of a waste of time to set up. But hardly unique in that regard - many of the scenarios that only require movement can be similarly cheesed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary: Fanboy
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hilarious when people use "objectively" when stating opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
timerron wrote:
I find it hilarious when people use "objectively" when stating opinion.
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bauknecht
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was able to check out the level 1 Diviner cards at Isaac's Gloomhaven Party last weekend, and my friend played her in the first Capital Intrigue scenario. Isaac made it clear that these were a work in progress, so likely will be tweaked a bit.

Spoilers for level 1 cards (that's all that were available)

There is a new mechanic, 'regenerate' that is on a couple cards. This works like a reverse wound, where you get 1 hp back at the beginning of each round, and it stays in play until you take damage.

There are lots of cards that boost Sun and Dark.

There are multiple cards that allow viewing and manipulation of attack decks, either your allies' or the monster deck.

There's a card that protects one ally by, for that round, any time a positive attack modifier or a x2 card is drawn by a monster attacking them, it becomes a +0. Sadly, it's not called, 'Super Iron Helm'.

There are very few direct attack cards. They focus on control of the field, support of allies, and screwing with enemies.

We played with the Diviner, a Brute, and a Mindthief, and were able to pass the scenario with 2-3 rounds left before any of us would exhaust. That was surprising to us, we expected the Diviner to be much more of a support class, but at one point she dropped a 'Disarm everyone who moves through this' rift on a doorway, completely hamstringing the Inox room for a round, then next round forced an enemy to walk through several traps.

Super interesting mechanics and I am very excited to see the rest of what the Diviner can do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's encouraging. I am a bit concerned that the scrying will bog things down some with AP. Was that an issue? Its probably not a fair question because a new class will always bog down a bit.

When you are scrying can you share what you see and are thinking with the other players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðbrandur Magnússon
msg tools
Regeneration sounds, so bloody good! A heal mechanic that scales a bit with level.
I'dd definitely look at a few cards again if they were regenerates (Eye For an Eye for example).
One of the things I find annoying about heals is that they often ruin your tempo and don't actually negate that much damage at higher levels. Heal 4 at level 2 nets you enough HP to take 2 extra hits, at level 6 it's barely worth one. A mechanic like this one can net you as much healing as you need, without increasing your ability to tank at the same time. All of a the tank takes a backseat to heal for a few rounds. Very nice idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bauknecht
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
That's encouraging. I am a bit concerned that the scrying will bog things down some with AP. Was that an issue? Its probably not a fair question because a new class will always bog down a bit.

When you are scrying can you share what you see and are thinking with the other players?
If I recall, the cards all said, 'Reveal the top X cards...' so I don't think it's secret information. None of those cards actually came up during our game, but my group are all fairly AP prone, so I'm sure we would have spent a long time maximizing the use of the new info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Bauknecht
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tsuruki23 wrote:
Regeneration sounds, so bloody good! A heal mechanic that scales a bit with level.
I'dd definitely look at a few cards again if they were regenerates (Eye For an Eye for example).
One of the things I find annoying about heals is that they often ruin your tempo and don't actually negate that much damage at higher levels. Heal 4 at level 2 nets you enough HP to take 2 extra hits, at level 6 it's barely worth one. A mechanic like this one can net you as much healing as you need, without increasing your ability to tank at the same time. All of a the tank takes a backseat to heal for a few rounds. Very nice idea.
Agreed! I was playing the Brute for the first time, and having regenerate made for some really interesting decisions, especially considering all the traps in that scenario. At level 1, one extra hp each round starts to be worth staying out of combat for a couple rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I couldn’t agree more. It’s not like my shelf is already bending under the weight of the original game content!

Can’t wait!!!

Now I’d better go and reinforce those shelves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |