Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Inis» Forums » General

Subject: Four or five games down and we haven't had a game under two and a half hours...Help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myron Speed
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I got curious so thought I'd have a look on the forum to see if anyone else found that the game drags on way too long and it hasn't appeared to be a problem.

Perhaps it's just the group I've played it with and the fact that we are highly familiar with each-other's play styles generally but regardless of what strategy anybody goes all-in on it takes us two and a half hours to playout to a resolution (fortunately we haven't had a kingmaker get to a point where they just force an end to the game by giving someone else the win and we've all played it out fairly). Even our most recent game saw one player accumulate four deeds and they still didn't manage to win.

So, I guess the question is, does anybody else find the game lasting about twice as long as it is fun? Is this normal? Does anybody have any tips for forcing a more aggressive quicker game, because at the moment as I kind of dread getting this out on game night simply because it's going to take all our time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Yup in a group of 5+ plays we landed around the same time point yesterday.

Basically everyone except the brenn hit 6 sanctuaries and I was the first aggressor to try to break the tie by taking the capital. I was stuck as the pretender for two rounds duking it out with the Brenn, exhausting both our action cards, then my other opponent achieved his second victory condition (expanding to 6 lands by druiding the movement card that doesn't initiate a clash).

Another tidbit is that, everyone is smart enough to hold back movement/clash cards, and would even intentionally sacrificing their own clans to forbid chieftain of 6 clans, this really prolongs the games and makes the victory condition more of a "meta enforcement" than an actual victory condition (I guess deeds would help but really that's the least achievable condition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
My group is notoriously slow. Many games we play last literally twice the amount of time printed on the box.
That being said, Inis is not one of them. our games probably average 75 minutes... One did get up to about two and a half hours, but that was the exception.
In that case, it was a roller coaster of emotions... lots of ups and downs. So we still had fun.
I am not one to lend strategy advice, but if I were to guess why the game was taking so long, maybe some people do not understand 100% of the rules?
-One winning condition is to be the chieftain over 6 opposing "clans." Which is six of your opponents figures in any area... added up.
-Another winning condition is to simply be present in territories with 6 or more sanctuaries (you do not need majority).
-The last is just being present in six territories. (again, you do not need to have majority,
And the deeds can be swapped out for one thing at a time. So, if you have one deed and are chieftain over 5 clans, present in six territories, but present in territories with five sanctuaries... You qualify for just two of those win conditions, and would lose to anyone with all three. However, for us I think people usually win one or two. Not even sure if I have seen three... but I was just making an example.
So maybe you can go over that with everyone just in case. So they know what their goals are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 9 times (including a game yesterday evening) and all of the games except one has come in around 75-90 minutes. I have mainly played 3-player and of the two 4-player games one ran to the longer end of the 90 minutes and the other is the one which ran to 3 hours.

There is probably some group think going on which is lengthening your games though, as the long game I played in seemed very atypical - the players were very reluctant to indulge in clashes and so there were no deeds being won. And deeds, are key to the game - as more deeds enter play and more territories are added it is harder an harder to prevent someone hitting one or more victory conditions.

Also, you are remembering , that the Brenn breaks ties, even on victory conditions - so if the Brenn is in the tie he/she wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you remember how many seasons you played?
4/5 is typical. If you play that much seasons in the time you mention, yes you're just slow players! If you play 8/10 seasons regularly, there may be a rules glitch somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that Inis is really needs you to push your advantage and make a break for it. This is not a game where you build momentum until you are certain to win, but one where you take a chance as much as you can.

This is beucase a)you should always have pretty good idea of what your opponents can do to stop you, and act accordingly and b)if you fail to win, you are not set back that much, if at all. There is usually no long-term downside in trying to win and failing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fab C
France
flag msg tools
mb
Jadzi wrote:
Even our most recent game saw one player accumulate four deeds and they still didn't manage to win.

Do your group was the one who was streaming Tabletop Simulator on twitch yesterday? I joined halfway through the game as spectator and this game was crazy but exhausting at the same time, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nork Sharkfin

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One variant you can try that is rumored to be in the rules of the upcoming expansion, is that when two or more pretenders are tied for most victory conditions at the end of a season, all tied players get a deed.

My group is planning to use this variant for our next 4-player game. I am excited to try it because it seems like a natural and elegant solution for groups with long play times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jace Padden
msg tools
My group has played many times. We've had a game or two run that long, but the rest were well under 2 hours. If everyone in your group is very cautious (meaning afraid to take chances and only makes a move when it is clearly in their best interest and theirs alone), then I could see the games stretching out both in terms of the time between player moves and the overall time of the game.

It is hard for me to imagine having 4 deed tokens and not being able to achieve more than one victory condition, especially if those tokens are held for multiple seasons. In our group, having 3 deed tokens is rare and will almost certainly result in the game ending within a season. Maybe there is a misunderstanding of the blending of victory conditions as others have suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myron Speed
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I can categorically say our group does understand the rules; the first couple of games I had to remind people about the sanctuary and territory conditions not requiring you to be chieften; but that's very clearly undrstood now. I think there is a large part of the suggested hesitancy (certainly on my part) that causes the game to prolong itself but when someone does make a move most players are well resourced enough to deal with other players achieving victory conditions.

I'm keen to play my next game and play as aggressively as possible to try and win some deeds and be generally annoying across the board. I'm hoping that if I'm aggressive we can have some interesting clashes that expedites the game. I'll try to remember to report back on our experience!

P.S Nope it wasn't us on Tabletop Simulator we only play INIS on an actual tabletop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle King
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group is in the same situation. We have some AP, but we mostly play pretty quick. The game time wouldn't bother me except I've heard so many podcast and reviews say this game should take 60-90 min and I don't know if I've had a game under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our group is made up of moderate gamers, with average AP and we don't play particularly fast or serious. Games of Inis for us (at 3 and 4 players) have ranged between 1 and 2 hours, which is right on the money.

If folk are picking up deeds and driving for multiple victory conditions, games really shouldn't take that long - especially when some of those Epic Tale cards are like nukes!

That said, if you are all pretty fighty from the start I guess the game could drag. We tend to be rather cooperative - begrudgingly - at the start, in a sort of "well, okay lets share this space for now as it benefits both of us" kinda way. Reminds me of Cosmic Encounter, where people are more open to negotiating and swapping a colony for a colony in the early rounds.

Too much fighting in Inis can mean you have less folk on the board, get to play less cards, and share less prosperity - all of which means none of you are edging closer to victory conditions and can lengthen the game somewhat. Get some more negotiating/cooperation going in the game and you will find things run much quicker, and make the game a lot more fun and backstabby as you all chum along together and then suddenly bust out some killer moves to grab the throne. I think this sits well thematically too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.