Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

Recently Sean "Day[9]" Plott announced his 30-day project challenge. I'm super excited about this, since this provides an extra bit of motivation to tackle a particularly tricky problem. In addition, this is also an incentive to post a bit more regularly by updating this thread.

Thinking about what to do, I considered working on the expansion to my game Albedo. However, since the expansion is already very far along in the development, I feel that this would be against the spirit of the challenge. At least against the spirit of the challenge the way I perceive it.

The next idea was to do a simple re-theme of my game Das Katastrophenspiel set in the e-sports realm with prominent people from the Day[9] community. This would have been too simple and not create much value.

So instead I am aiming to take one of my more complex games that is at the idea stage and design it to the point that I have a very rough prototype ready. Before Das Katastrophenspiel, I designed 5 other board games (A super hero game, a secret agent game, a vampire game, an Age of Torridan game, a simplified 4x game), but they were always ripped to shreds by my play test group. Now that I've actually completed a few projects, I feel it is the right time to dive back into more complex games, since both Das Katastrophenspiel and Albedo are quick filler games, but I would love to add something else to my portfolio.

Here is a rough breakdown of the project:

Description: Designing a medium complexity board game from the idea stage to the first prototype (alpha).
Week1: Learn how to use Tabletop Simulator (TTS)
Week2: Work on the design (cards, mechanics, events, etc.)
Week3: Continue with the design, but also port it over to TTS
Week4: Test & Iteration

Is anyone else joining in, not necessarily as part of the Day[9] community, but on here to do a board game related project?

All the best,

Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Best of luck, Kai.

I'm trying to learn building a prototype in TTS myself in my spare time (what spare time?). I'm struggling to get anywhere so I would love to be able to learn through your progress on this challenge. Besides, summer is coming so maybe I'll get some time... who am I kidding, I'll be playing more board games!

But I'll be following this. Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Nice initiative! I'd love to read how you get on with your game and learning TTS.

I've got a medium-weight game that I'd like to have in a pitchable state by the end of the month. I was going to work on it anyway, so it's maybe not 100% in the spirit of the challenge, but could still post updates about my progress if that's interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfboy wrote:
Best of luck, Kai.

I'm trying to learn building a prototype in TTS myself in my spare time (what spare time?). I'm struggling to get anywhere so I would love to be able to learn through your progress on this challenge. Besides, summer is coming so maybe I'll get some time... who am I kidding, I'll be playing more board games!

But I'll be following this. Looking forward to it.

Oof, the pressure is on
But it's good to know that you are also interested in the TTS aspect - I'll be sure to document things a bit, if I do manage to get everything working

khendrix wrote:
Nice initiative! I'd love to read how you get on with your game and learning TTS.

I've got a medium-weight game that I'd like to have in a pitchable state by the end of the month. I was going to work on it anyway, so it's maybe not 100% in the spirit of the challenge, but could still post updates about my progress if that's interesting?

That's certainly interesting! Please do share your progress, as seeing what issues other people encounter is going to benefit everyone.

I haven't decided whether I should try to do small incremental updates every day or whether I should do a slightly longer "this is what I did this week" post on Sundays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
More and more I read about ppl that needs help with modding for TTS.
I think it's time I pull my lazy ass up and start to make video tutorials.

Thread will be opened on this part of the forum when I finish my first video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the first week has (almost) been a wash. I did not find the time to delve into tabletop simulator, but I wrote down a few notes of what I want the game to be.
In addition, although unrelated to the 30 day project challenge, I made good progress on my other board game projects.
The next few weeks are going to be tough, because I have several deadlines at work and at home, but hopefully the next update is going to feature actual progress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.