Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I are ready to start November, and we've never searched Buenos Aires. We Reconned South America back in February or March, and that was our last objective of that game so it ended the game before anyone could use an ability to pull from the discard. We suspect there is a lab at Buenos Aires, since there is at all the other coordinates from the hint card long ago. But in all the games since connecting it we've never drawn the scratchable card. We've drawn the non-searchable one about 4 times. We've gotten about 25 player cards in box 6 so our deck is nearly as "thinned out" as it can get. I'd like to get that last lab, but all I can think of doing is using frequency scanning to try and mill the player deck while stalling on the real objectives. I've taken to looking for it in the deck after the game and it must be "heavy" because it tends to end up in the last 10 cards. We certainly don't want to try and endure 6-7 epidemics to get it!

Any ideas or suggestions? I mostly hate feeling like we can't follow up on the "hint" without blind luck. I know this won't make or break our game at this point, it's just my completionist nature here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Williams
msg tools
Afraid there's no tools to reshuffle the player deck. If it's at the bottom, you ain't seeing it - and your best bet is exactly what you suggested....Monitor plenty and stretch the game as long as you can to give it the best opportunity to come out.

If it makes you feel better:
a) If you've made it this far without using its ability (which is a serious, serious help) then you're doing just fine
b) If you've failed to draw it for a minimum of eight months then it's not just normal blind luck - you've been insanely unlucky! Even if you've won every game and only seen a third of the player deck each time, then by my reckoning it's still only about a 4% chance of not seeing a given card.
c) Our team stole all your luck, because I drew the card in my starting hand first game after connecting Buenos Aires (January) - when I was starting in the South Atlantic haven - meaning we searched it on the first turn of February.

Actually, on reflection b) and c) probably aren't going to make you feel better are they......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey C
msg tools
One way is to ensure you have a way to get cards out of the discard pile (i.e. Broker ability), and then use the monitor action to cycle through the deck faster. Depending on the number of player cards in your deck, this may be the only reliable way to ensure you see all the player cards in a single game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you've already exhausted your options

- Thin the player deck
- Use Monitor to go through it faster (try to time it so that it skips epidemics)
- Try to survive longer

Of course, there are a multitude of things you can do to "try to survive longer."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaMothe
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! We did manage to pull it, in our opening hands no less, during our first game in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.