Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game of Thrones is a game that has sat on my shelf now for an awful long time. I have both first and second edition, though I prefer the board of first edition. Right ...that`s all that out the way.I am never likely to play the thing face to face..never gonna happen in my world, so over time i`ve tried coming up with ideas to solo the game. There are obvious pitfalls to all this....all that double dealing back stabbing keep your enemy closer than that one over there type stuff that people say is just not possible solo...and of course that is right. But that hasn`t put me off.
After many faltering starts, over many years, I settled on the idea of rolling dice for orders

I`ve given the dice rolling a yahtzee style feel where you roll four dice, lock some, all, or none which forces me to do the best I can with the order tokens. Its` not perfect but then nothing is here. I had an idea of changing the whole concept of the game to an alternate history one as I have used the cards from an old card game called code breaker.
I had Lincoln in mind and randomly drew Genghis Khan, and Joan of Arc.
I gave each player a colour and randomly drew a starting space for the three players.

After that it was a case of setting up the players start pieces, and the neutrals and we are ready.

I have no idea how this will work out, but anyone who read my session for the War of the Worlds board game, this will be in almost the same
vain, as I really just want to role play it for myself and see what happens.
So my next session will probably cover turns 1 to 3 and I hope people will come along and enjoy the journey of House Lincoln, House Arc, and House Khan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting....wouldnt it be easier and make more sense to place your orders, then for each other house come up with 3 different plans and randomize from those plans?

edit: also, pbem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Geoff, that is the type of idea that will help and enhance. I` ve already begun the game so a bit late for this particular one, but defo an idea for future, also play by mail sound idea. Since I have started the lincoln game, I`ve now toyed with the idea of putting the orders onto just 3 dice and trying it that way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been testing ccg decks online solo and been doing something similar, simply asking myself 'would my predator bleed me this turn?' and flipping a coin, heads =yes. "Is it at stealth?" flip another coin. "For how much?" roll a d6 and subtract 2, minimum 1. And so on.

Although that is awfully linear, whereas here rolling a D3 among 3 possible plans and randomizing the odd outlier extra order may work, or D6ing bids, etc.

Tough to write solitaire rules for an openended mp game like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blazing Apostle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Geoff, what I did for bids on iron throne etc was roll 6 sided die with
0 1 2 2 3 4 on each face. As for diplomacy I tried rolling d10 x 4 for a diplomatic percentage that other player has to equal or go higher for diplomacy to work. As you rightly point out all very abstract and long winded but best I could think up at present. Of course in my game I took it that Khan wouldn`t have been one for diplomacy in the first place so that left Lincoln and Joan of Arc.I have finished the present game and took it to nine turns rather than ten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.