Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you have a leader attacking with his units do you add "2 dice" to his presence (keeping in mind the six dice attack limit)?

I only ask because I learned that leaders when stacked with units DO NOT COUNT towards the stack limit when crossing boundaries. So for example, if you have a ford across a +1 border river, it is then possilbe with just ONE move order to cross this ford with TWO infantries and ONE leader and engage in a direct combat assault, thereby giving you SIX dice to attack (provided you survive the initial defense volley).

This could be a powerful manuever if you have multiple MOVE orders and fresh troops to return. Just keep bringing back TWO infantries and ONE leader. Eventually expect to win a few kills using this method in a single turn if you have two or more MOVE orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a rule allowing leaders to be ignored in border crossings. The rules say:

"Move 1, 2, or 3 counters from one area to adjacent area. You may move any combination of infantry units, artillery batteries, and leaders."

"counters" is also used in the border limits.

"No number – You may move 1 or 2 counters
0 – you may not move any counters
1 – you may move only one counter
3 – you may move 1, 2, or 3 counters"

The FAQ that I have from Mayfair's site also says that there's no difference between leaders and any other unit for movement.

I also note that it says:

"Note: You may not move artillery and/or a leader into an area containing one or more enemy counters." I assume this means that artillery and leaders can't be part of an assault, but have to be brought in later.

On combat the rules say: "Roll 2 dice for each infantry unit in the assault (to a maximum of 6 dice)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out the following thread posted by
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

he shared the following information:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/714339/few-questions-counte...

In this thread he said:
========================

I Just heard from Martin Wallace, the game's designer. He has provided the following answers to my questions:

A leader is not a unit so does not count towards the boundary restrictions.

You can move a leader with a normal move action.

Border limits do not affect retreats.

=======================

As for your second observation that leaders cannot enter a occupied territory, that now makes total sense given that only "infantry" are allowed to roll dice during direct combat. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.