Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I pulled this game out again after not playing for a few years (Mission 1). I gathered a new squad, re-read the rules, and went in looking for glory that has largely eluded me every time I play a campaign. Once again, I got my butt kicked. I split the squad into two units of four, stuck to the tree line, and tried to keep the men crouched as much as possible. I took out two Krauts but the third ran out of rifle ammo, heaved a grenade and took out my best guy with the BAR, and then ran out of all ammo. I charged him with two guys and he killed both in assault with his bare hands! Both times, a zero on the to hit and a 9 on the damage! I decided to pack up my gear, run screaming for mama from this frenzied Nazi, and train some more.

I love this game but what am I missing? I always seem to lose my entire squad after a few missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is really just bad luck screwing you over then you need to get better at mitigating it.
Catching a grenade is hard to avoid if the German is going after you (i.e. no action to kick the grenade out of the hex) or if your guy has low PC, but when you assault it is often more effective to send only one guy in and have a commander close to give him an order to assault again rather than sending the commander into the melee too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes definitely try to game the AR track to not let the German get two chances to kill you. And roll better!

And you are right on time to join our community campaign! It is time for us to begin mission 2.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1955590/playing-ambush-base...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The secret weapon in Ambush! is using your commanders to grant extra actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:

Wait ?
There’s a secret weapon ???

Release! The secret, weapon !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ola bergh
Sweden
Jordbro / Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
House rules have been discussed here and 1 houserule i found legit is that you play a mission with 2 chances. If you fail 1st attempt you may try another but then you must also accept the 2nd result even if that means the result is worser.

Another "cheat" i have tried (not included in the campaign squad going on here at BGG) is to give squad max squad quality pts at start and then roll 2 d10 for weapon points for every mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! As my first play in many years, I did forget about the CDR ability to give an action. I will have to do that next time, especially if it allows my best shooter (I always give him the BAR) to take that extra shot first. I rolled well for squad pts. but not so much for weapon points.

Was I right to conduct a German assault without ammo? I figured everyone would have a knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricardov41 wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! As my first play in many years, I did forget about the CDR ability to give an action. I will have to do that next time, especially if it allows my best shooter (I always give him the BAR) to take that extra shot first. I rolled well for squad pts. but not so much for weapon points.

Was I right to conduct a German assault without ammo? I figured everyone would have a knife.

The GER do have an automatic Assault to Kill self-preservation action if anyone shows up in the same hex with them. (I had forgotten this my last play.) But killing both guys with his bare hands?! ABSOLUTELY! Ubermensch! That's the kind of fun narrative this game affords.

Please join us for the Ambush Base Campaign together 2018 that Pelle mentioned. (I got wiped out a well, and have to roll up 5 more guys for the next mission!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm. Free assault to kill? When do they get that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, the fanatic Nazi survived a snap fire rush and an assault by my two luckless GI's and proceeded to follow his self preservation command on his card to assault to kill. And I have to be honest, if a GI did that to some German units, I would still be writing up an AAR and giving him a Medal of Honor!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Uhm. Free assault to kill? When do they get that?

Sorry, not an automatic one, but they have a Self-Preservation Action Column of which one action may be Assault to Kill. I kept rolling on the normal Action column when a soldier entered the hex, instead of the 'S' marked column, and screwed this up my game.

Quote:
6/9 Self Preservation. Every German soldier card includes a
self preservation column (marked "S") of Action Paragraph
numbers. This column is used instead of the current condition
column whenever the German is in a hex occupied or adjacent
to an active US soldier. Use of the self preservation
column may begin and stop any number of times for a given
German soldier, depending on his proximity to US soldiers.
The self preservation column takes precedence over the normal
condition column ønd over a Special Reaction column,
unless specifically noted otherwise on the soldier's card or in
a paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin David Bliss
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mixykym wrote:
Marlowespade wrote:

Wait ?
There’s a secret weapon ???

Release! The secret, weapon !!

Funny... not !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian lecuyot
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marlowespade wrote:

I totally agree with that. I always use a lot this ability of the commander which is realy very powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.