Hide
7 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Use Red Queen ability after purchasing organs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Olsson
msg tools
I'm having trouble finding this in the rules. Let's say I purchase an organ for a macroorganism that enables the Red Queen ability. Does it come in to effect immediately so that I can steal back a diseased cube the same turn, or does it work the same way as mutations, so I have to wait until next turn to use it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
All purchased abilities come into effect in the next turn, I'm afraid. Otherwise the fission ability would be too stinkin' awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erolss wrote:
I'm having trouble finding this in the rules. Let's say I purchase an organ for a macroorganism that enables the Red Queen ability. Does it come in to effect immediately so that I can steal back a diseased cube the same turn, or does it work the same way as mutations, so I have to wait until next turn to use it?

Per living rules, all effects with the exception of fission take effect immediately. However, stealing an organ with red queen counts as a purchase, so you would have to have multiple bionts (or fission) in the organism (the first bought the red queen organ, another would need to steal it). Red queen attacks are not free, they replace normal purchases.

The immediate effect of not fission abilities is true for both mutations and organs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Olsson
msg tools
dsdhornet wrote:

Per living rules, all effects with the exception of fission take effect immediately. However, stealing an organ with red queen counts as a purchase, so you would have to have multiple bionts (or fission) in the organism (the first bought the red queen organ, another would need to steal it). Red queen attacks are not free, they replace normal purchases.

The immediate effect of not fission abilities is true for both mutations and organs.

Oh wow, that's a change! Guess I should take a good look in the living rules now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Olsson
msg tools
By the way, does this mean I get abilities from both sides of a mutation the turn I promote them? From living rules:

• Abilities. The Abilities of newly purchased/promoted Mutations are in effect immediately, except for fission which is not active until the turn after purchase. (p. 19)

• You lose any Abilities listed on its unpromoted side, starting next turn. (p. 20)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
erolss wrote:
dsdhornet wrote:

Oh wow, that's a change! Guess I should take a good look in the living rules now. Thanks!

This is a significant change, and this is why I hate 'Living Rules', it can make it very difficult to find players that play the same version of the game.

It's hard enough to learn/ teach the game as is, let alone with the 'moving target' of living rules.

YMMV, natch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is a significant change, and this is why I hate 'Living Rules', it can make it very difficult to find players that play the same version of the game.

It's hard enough to learn/ teach the game as is, let alone with the 'moving target' of living rules.

YMMV, natch.

I understand what you mean, but it's no different than games with FAQs and errata. It means that issues can be addressed immediately rather than having to purchase the next edition of the game to get updated/fixed rules. The high complexity of these games means there are potentially a lot of edge cases that aren't caught during play testing.

If you want, you can always just play with the written rules (as if the living rules didn't exist). Alternatively, you can subscribe to the living rules so that you are notified when things change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.