Lifeform» Forums » General

Subject: Why so expensive? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why does this game cost so much?
It looks pretty simple yet costs as much as games with multiple miniatures.
Can we expect some serious quality/component upgrades with Stretch Goals?

Don't take me wrong. I like it very much and have backed it and I will probably get it with the Dragon expansions but it's really expensive for just cards and cardboard tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but it's really expensive for just cards and cardboard tokens.

Considering printing costs change depending upon the amount of copies you're having printed, it's not quite that simple. Everyone seems to think printing games is a level playing field, and the cost for producing one copy of game x is the same as for one copy of game y. Economies of scale are a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The physical components are not the only thing you are paying for, initial ideas, development, playtesting, artwork, proof-reading, shipping. These all cost. In the end most games are just cards, tokens and board/s. Just like books are "only" sheets of paper with marks on them, that's not where the value is.

Besides, here the game + solo expansion is £58. If 4 of you play the game only twice for three hours each time, it's less than £2.50/hour/person which is pretty cheap for entertainment, and more plays make it even cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:

Don't take me wrong. I like it very much and have backed it and I will probably get it with the Dragon expansions but it's really expensive for just cards and cardboard tokens.

+1 Unfortunately the cost is keeping me from backing and thinking retail will be cheaper. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

+1 Unfortunately the cost is keeping me from backing and thinking retail will be cheaper. :-/

If you can get it retail, as it has been said that there will be extremely limited copies available, and many will be disappointed if they wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Al

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+2 ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Skrell wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

If you can get it retail, as it has been said that there will be extremely limited copies available, and many will be disappointed if they wait.

As a guide The Game Steward in the States (one of the few/only to have "retail" for previous Hall or Nothing Games) has 1066 for $42.99 (not sure of postage) the KS was $32 excl shipping. Gloom of Kilforth (sold out) but was $84.99 in the KS $75 incl shipping.

I am not sure what retail price for this will be but don't expect any Miniature Market type discounts from a OLGS with buying power.

I am not sure what games with minis you can get for $65 US but for my mind the game is sitting in the right price bracket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im actually really disappointed with the pricing as for the most part it is an enjoyable game and I would have purchased if it was realistic but Im completely bewildered that its so high. I can only speculate that its a quick cash grab riding on peoples hopes and expections..
Im a little disappointed that the end game hasnt been fixed as its extremely clunky and after a hard fought game it just ruined the experience... the main game is fun though..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boutique, high-quality games with great art and tons of components cost more time and money to produce, especially for a smaller publisher like us - it's really that simple. Please only pledge responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunty46 wrote:
Im actually really disappointed with the pricing as for the most part it is an enjoyable game and I would have purchased if it was realistic but Im completely bewildered that its so high. I can only speculate that its a quick cash grab riding on peoples hopes and expections..
Im a little disappointed that the end game hasnt been fixed as its extremely clunky and after a hard fought game it just ruined the experience... the main game is fun though..

Can you please explain more what you mean by "end game"? I'm with you on the cost but if the game is AMAZING then I'd come up with cash. (god I want an Alien-esque game:()

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunty46 wrote:
I can only speculate that its a quick cash grab riding on peoples hopes and expections..

That is unfair and cynical of you. I get that games are expensive and you're disappointed but this isn't the only option you speculate on. It's just the decision you've chosen to believe because it helps you feel better about your disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunty46 wrote:

I gotta say this comment was extremely confusing. Almost as if you might not know what you're even talking about.

"For the most part, it's an enjoyable game"
"Quick cash grab"
"Extremely clunky"
"Game is fun though"

I'm looking into purchasing this game and searching for genuine feedback. Comments like yours are the type people should generally ignore when deciding on games. If someone can make a non-contradictory post expressing their like or dislike, that would be more welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:

I'm genuinely curious what you're comparing this to. The base game plus expansion comes out to $81 USD. Through KS, the basegame for Zombicide went for $89. Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition went for about $65. For a hobby where people are apt to spend hundreds on a new game, I find it strange that ~$16 would warrant such feelings towards its price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
Stunty46 wrote:

I gotta say this comment was extremely confusing. Almost as if you might not know what you're even talking about.

"Quick cash grab"
"Extremely clunky"
"Game is fun though"

I'm looking into purchasing this game and searching for genuine feedback. Comments like yours are the type people should generally ignore when deciding on games. If someone can make a non-contradictory post expressing their like or dislike, that would be more welcome.

apologies my posts are a bit like rambling I wish I was more articulate.
I did say the 'main' part of the game is fun, the 'cat and mouse' section, you feel like your being chased and each step could be your last, which is great. I wouldn't say it feels like alien but its still good. The end part where your in the escape shuttle with the alien just doesn't work well at all and the immersion in the game is lost which is a shame really as it should stay just as exciting throughout..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunty46 wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:
Stunty46 wrote:

"Quick cash grab"
"Extremely clunky"
"Game is fun though"

apologies my posts are a bit like rambling I wish I was more articulate.
I did say the 'main' part of the game is fun, the 'cat and mouse' section, you feel like your being chased and each step could be your last, which is great. I wouldn't say it feels like alien but its still good. The end part where your in the escape shuttle with the alien just doesn't work well at all and the immersion in the game is lost which is a shame really as it should stay just as exciting throughout..

Thanks for that clarification. I'll keep an eye on the endgame. I've seen the complaint that the "endgame" is anticlimactic for a lot of games I enjoy such as Eldritch Horror. I've been fine with that so far so we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Reid
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Stunty46 wrote:
I can only speculate that its a quick cash grab riding on peoples hopes and expections..

but this isn't the only option you speculate on. It's just the decision you've chosen to believe

Thats pretty much the definition of speculate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunty46 wrote:
venrondua wrote:
Stunty46 wrote:

but this isn't the only option you speculate on. It's just the decision you've chosen to believe

Thats pretty much the definition of speculate

I missed a word that meant my sentence was not as clear as I intended. What I mean is if a person were speculating on the reasons the board game is prices they would come up with a few options to consider.

However you chose a cynical one that relies on the creators as being sneaky and manipulative towards their audience. That they are being malicious with their intentions.

I feel you responding to the price in a jaded manner to help you feel better about your disappointment to the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
I'll keep an eye on the endgame. I've seen the complaint that the "endgame" is anticlimactic for a lot of games I enjoy such as Eldritch Horror. I've been fine with that so far so we'll see.

The shuttle showdown is one of the coolest parts of the game - if you can tackle the Eldritch Horror boss battles you'll have no trouble at all with Lifeform. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saracen Knight wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

I'm genuinely curious what you're comparing this to. The base game plus expansion comes out to $81 USD. Through KS, the basegame for Zombicide went for $89. Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition went for about $65. For a hobby where people are apt to spend hundreds on a new game, I find it strange that ~$16 would warrant such feelings towards its price.

Base + Solo is going to be more like $92 shipped. Perhaps he was comparing to Gloomhaven, which was $64 shipped for 20+ lbs of cardboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:
kurczaczekx wrote:

Base + Solo is going to be more like $92 shipped. Perhaps he was comparing to Gloomhaven, which was $64 shipped for 20+ lbs of cardboard?

I think we can all agree that if we compared every game to Gloomhaven, the vast vast majority would fall far short. So I don't think that's a fair comparison. Gloomhaven is, in my opinion, an outlier. That's why I quoted other well reviewed and popular games. Not only that, the prices I quoted don't include shipping so I believe my point still stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Saracen Knight wrote:
I think we can all agree that if we compared every game to Gloomhaven, the vast vast majority would fall far short. So I don't think that's a fair comparison. Gloomhaven is, in my opinion, an outlier. That's why I quoted other well reviewed and popular games. Not only that, the prices I quoted don't include shipping so I believe my point still stands.

In addition to that, the $64 for Gloomhaven was a one-time offer for a special version without miniatures, current price for cheapest version is $99 shipped (that's how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong, of course!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perf wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

In addition to that, the $64 for Gloomhaven was a one-time offer for a special version without miniatures, current price for cheapest version is $99 shipped (that's how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong, of course!).

If we can shift 40,000+ games I'd be delighted to make price to value comparisons with Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Perf wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

If we can shift 40,000+ games I'd be delighted to make price to value comparisons with Gloomhaven.

To be fair, I used the prices including shipping because the $64 gloomhave quote also included shipping. Note that was for the original campaign, which only had 4900 backers and funded at that price at around 1100 backers. So it is unfair to compare with the 2nd gloomhaven campaingn with 40K units. It'd be more fair to compare at 1K or 5K units.

I'm not complaining about the price (I'm a backer and didnt really blink at the price, except that I'll watch vids, read rules, etc before the campaign is over more than some others, mainly due to a lower expectation on the secondary market if I find I dont care for it), but just responding to the idea that small, independent, boutique game publishers cannot produce good quality games with nice art and lots of content at a more moderate price point. Gloomhaven is an example of exactly that happening, even before Gloomhaven was the hotness it has been recently, when there was no name recognition, top 10 awards, reviews, etc. Xia is another example, pre-painted minis, lots of content, nice art, first game from a new publisher (basically one guy from his garage), $75 shipped.

Of course, there could also be an issue with currency conversion causing the game to seem more expensive comparatively with games sold directly in dollars. And we dont know if these other guys were paying themselves for their own time or if they were selling at a loss / no-cost onn KS and making their earnings in retail, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
Perf wrote:
Saracen Knight wrote:

To be fair, I used the prices including shipping because the $64 gloomhave quote also included shipping. Note that was for the original campaign, which only had 4900 backers and funded at that price at around 1100 backers. So it is unfair to compare with the 2nd gloomhaven campaingn with 40K units. It'd be more fair to compare at 1K or 5K units.

I'm not complaining about the price (I'm a backer and didnt really blink at the price, except that I'll watch vids, read rules, etc before the campaign is over more than some others, mainly due to a lower expectation on the secondary market if I find I dont care for it), but just responding to the idea that small, independent, boutique game publishers cannot produce good quality games with nice art and lots of content at a more moderate price point. Gloomhaven is an example of exactly that happening, even before Gloomhaven was the hotness it has been recently, when there was no name recognition, top 10 awards, reviews, etc. Xia is another example, pre-painted minis, lots of content, nice art, first game from a new publisher (basically one guy from his garage), $75 shipped.

Of course, there could also be an issue with currency conversion causing the game to seem more expensive comparatively with games sold directly in dollars. And we dont know if these other guys were paying themselves for their own time or if they were selling at a loss / no-cost onn KS and making their earnings in retail, etc.

10000 copies of Gloomhaven it still a lot more than this or Tristan's other runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately I suppose it all comes down to an individuals disposable income. To some the price of games can often seem punitive and others a drop in the bucket.

I try to gauge how many games I'll need to play to make it seem a worthwhile purchase .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.