Subject: K-Day: Kaiju War Pacific Rim Variant Playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Christian
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out the A3-sized Pacific Rim map and had a go with it. Playing as Knife-Head, I went straight from the Breach to Hawaii for some sun and sand. Too bad Crimson Typhoon showed up to kick sand in my face. I was able to make him retreat, but soon Striker Eureka took his place. Looking for the KO, I was too aggressive and failed to prevent Eureka from hitting back, resulting in a mutual KO. I was dead by Day 7! ouch.

My 15 yr old son,Jack, took over for the next one. He ran Trespasser and boy, did he ever. He made a beeline for Darwin, Australia and quickly leveled it, swatting aside its paltry military garrison. Cairns, followed by both Sydney and Auckland were just as easily dispatched. Where are the Jaegers?!

Skirting the bottom edge of the map, Trespasser emerged in Santiago, Chile. The rampaging Kaiju made short work of this new target, but had now gained the attention of the PPDC. Crimson Typhoon engaged Trespasser in Uma, Peru. A tough fight made tougher considering Typhoon's battle dice are rolled last, making it hard to know what dice to lock in beforehand. Trespasser's once-a-game Head Butt managed to destroy Typhoon's 3-pilot cockpit, sending the high-tech Jaeger to the scrap heap in brutal fashion.

Trespasser continued to live up to his name and rolled through both Quito and Mexico City, before meeting his next opponent, Gypsy Danger. After a savage, multi-day fight, the USA's pride and joy was driven back, unable to arrest the progress of the relentless invader from another dimension.

Now, with only days to go before the 14 day limit is up, Jack had to make a tough decision. To score enough points to win, he drove past San Francisco and attacked a somewhat easier target in Vancouver instead. After some amazing initial rolls, he managed to flatten the Canucks living there.

On the final turn, humanity's last hope arrived......Striker Eureka! But Trespasser had come too far to be denied his ultimate victory. An amazingly savage series of rolls after another, Eureka goes down. All hope is lost for Earth as Trespasser wins it for the visiting team.

My son had a lot of fun with it. Thanks to Zombie Homer for putting this great game together. We now have plans to possibly either pimp out a bigger, nicer version with some fun components (like our Heroclix Pac Rim figures. etc) OR expand the rules into a two-player version (using Axis & Allies Pacific map and other military units for example).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kowynia
United States
Bedford
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your review Bill. Also, I think the review of your son's game is good as well. I have printed this one out but have not had a chance to play it yet. A little inspiration here. I am betting my son will like this one too.

I too though immediately saw some potential in a little enhancing of components. Had not thought of the Heroclix route but you might have something there.

Anyway, thanks for the review and happy gaming,
Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Nice! I’m really glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the game.

A 2-player variant sounds interesting. Are you thinking cooperative (2 Kaiju) or head-to-head?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Btw, for maximum pimping, you can check out a really amazing customized copy of the original game: JV’s Kaiju War by the queen of customization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.