Fields of Arle: Tea & Trade» Forums » General

Subject: Solo scores compared to base game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the expansion 7 times solo now and love it. Whereas I enjoy Agicola both with and without FOTM, I can't imagine going back to the Arles base game, even though it always rivalled Agricola as my favourite game.

I have found the solo scores to be higher, which I think is expected, but it would be interesting to hear other players' experiences.

It is difficult to take into account learning curves, but my solo scores seem to be 10-15 points higher with the expansion. My 7 solo scores range from 113.5 to 129.5, averaging 123. I generally get a couple of red buildings, but don't focus on them aggressively, the only aspect I always pursue is vehicles, and now, ships.

I am finding that whilst set up is only slightly longer, and the number of turns is unchanged, the expansion takes longer to play mainly down to more frequent bouts of AP, which are also the reason I haven't played 2p against my wife, whose patience and enthusiasm for long games appears to have plateaued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palmer Eldritch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the same as you - my solo scores are higher than with the base game. So far I've played four solo games, with the highest score being 137. With the base game my highest solo score was 117, although I didn't play it solo very much back then.

The new features explode the decision space and alter things quite dramatically, so I was quite overwhelmed at first, but I've settled into a new routine with the game now. The tea boosting really shifts the balance of things in a new direction, as do the ships - very interesting. The ditches not so much but my new opening sequence of moves does revolve around them.

One of the funny things I've found with the game now is that while I used to be very conscientious about covering the negative points at the top of the board with my dikes I can't seem to get them there any more - there are just so many other options that seem more appealing now! And I haven't figured out a good way to use the Depot yet, as there's so much more to do with flax, linen etc that my markers are all down at the bottom of the goods track.

I'm really liking this expansion a lot, and like you I'll probably never play without it. Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find that I get about 10 points more per game. This expansion is really fantastic, it really breaks open a bunch of new viable strategies and I find that every game I can try something new and different.

Asides from Tea, I don't think the expansion makes the game more difficult to play. But the options with Tea... those can make my head hurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My highest score of the base game in about two dozen plays is 141.5, with most high scores in the 130s.

My highest score using the expansion in four plays is 146.5 (the other scores being 134, 142.5, and 143.5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the benefit of the expansion might vary according to your typical base game score. Perhaps if you are still learning the base game, any benefit could be a bit random, and if you scores are already super high, the benefit might be only slight.

In the rulebook it says 110 is a remarkable base game solo score. There are pages and pages on base game solo scores throughout the forums, but the info is so scattered that I have only skimmed it to get a general feel.
This would be my guess of how the expansion might bolster base game scores, but this is pure conjecture, and only time will tell:

0 - 110 ... Farming apprentice - the added powers of the expansion might add to scores, but this effect could be quite variable.
110 - 135 ... Working farmer - competent as a farmer, but still scope to make more of the land, might benefit by 10 points.
135 - 145 ... Master craftsman - completely at one with the land, might benefit by 5 points.
145 - 150 ... Exceptional scores, already making the most of every square inch of land, new powers might lead to only marginal benefit, if any.
150-155 ... There are recorded scores in this range, but scores like this are sufficiently rare that the benefit would be difficult to measure.
155 ... Has there ever been a solo base game recorded score above 155? (If you want to start a depressing discussion on how to optimise the base game perhaps start a new thread, if you want to consider how to optimise the expansion please seek professional help).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a new high score of 160 today using the expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! 160 - well done. Any particularly interesting combinations or strategies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patrocles wrote:

That really is impressive, my scores have definitely plateaued despite a good number of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Green
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patrocles wrote:

I typically have been following a pretty set opening, with a 4 point (tea fueled) Ditcher action, Sailmaker building fishing cutter, Forester, and Imitate Forester first round. Then Wood Trader and Vehicle to build a large cart and peat boat. From there things start to deviate, but the goal is to have a large trade ship by the fourth round and then focus on getting resources for buildings, using the Ditcher one more time to flip the other bog, and trying to find an efficient way to cut peat.

In my previous games using Tea & Trade I took a pretty well-balanced approach, scoring 7-10 points from animals and around 90 points from buildings, sometimes pumping resources into tools at the end, and with pretty consistent scores in the other categories, a point in goods here balancing out a missed point on travel experience there, etc.

But in this most recent game I ignored trying to score points for animals (0 at the end with only 3 sheep left over), and instead focused on buildings (which was always the strongest base game strategy).

In the end I scored 111 points on the home board, including three 15 point red buildings and five flipped forests (6 each).

I was lucky enough to have the base game all-star Turnery building this game, which just synergizes so well with my preferred wood-gathering method of forests.

For green buildings, I had the Colonist's House (which is one of my favorites since I can hold extra sheep in my spaces with two ditches) and I also ended up getting the Schnapps Distillery to help fund the food for one of the castles.

I got the Peat Barn, which really helped in upgrading timber and brick and synergized well with my ditches.

I also purchased the Vossenhus Inn for the first time (which happened to synergies well with the Peat Barn), and found that the extra peat was very useful late game for getting extra food and peat cutting via my green buildings.

I feel like there were some inefficiencies since I ended up not even using the cloth conversion ability of the Mennonite Church or the the peat cutting ability of the Saddlery.

So I think even more points would have been possible with this particular setup.

I'm out of town this weekend, but I think I'll leave the game out and reset with the same buildings and see if I can improve on 160
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I finally got it on the table again tonight and without overthinking it much got my best score yet at 150,5. Still quite a bit shy of your high though!

I've played 26 games of the original and my highest was 146 but I usually got around 120-130. I've played six games with the expansion and half of them are well above 130 so from my small sample size of data I think yes, I score higher with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.