Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Small Axe
United States
Aurora
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so we finished game 2 last night. I think we are getting the game for the most part, though I will say, it gets complex rather quickly. Still, I am starting to see the direction this is all going. Going to post some things I think I know, along with a question below. Please help if you can.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

I finally figured out almost at the end of game 2 that Personas and Assistants are different things. We keep our personas permanently (although we can play as only 1 per game, unless we unlock another with Glory), but assistants we do not. We just get to permanently name them when they come into play. Right?

The quota track has an option to pay in * cards. These cards can be any sort of * cards. Correct? We lose * cards after game 2, so it makes sense that we would want to ship as many of them home as possible before the game ends? Correct? One more thing I think I know on this subject... Once we build a building and unlock the crate that is on it, that card is out of the game in the archive and cannot be used to pay the price on the quota track. Correct?

Ok next. Given that we are going to be losing all our cards going into the next game, there is no longer any guarantee that buildings/crates and hence personas that are attached to buildings/crates will be unlocked by the charter that they started in. Up to now, ever persona that came out has looked like the character I started playing as. I imagine this won't always be true going forward. Do I still get the persona, even if it does not look like me? It seems like an silly question maybe, but just trying to surmise before I am far enough into the next game.

One last. Now that we have unlocked peril, items, our first minion, guests and assistants, the discard pile is getting pretty thick, especially after we all discard all our cards finishing game 2. What hope is there that the advancement deck will give us enough selection during the game? Last game, we maybe made it through 1/4 of the deck

Thanks for your help all!! I made some mistakes for sure, but it is starting to come together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashley answered this well in the Facebook group, so I'll quote here: "Correct all the way through, you do get to keep upto your capacity don't forget.
You will get to go through more of the deck, trust me. We thought the same at the beginning that the deck was too thick for us to see it all but you will be able to cycle through it quite quick. (not giving any spoilers how of course)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some clarifications:

1. You keep all personas you unlock. Since crate cards (constructed building cards) can be discarded and purchased by different players, this may mean you end up with personas that were originally associated with a different charter. That's fine; they are now your personas.

2. I agree with most of your comments on advancement cards, though it's worth noting that if you build a building that has no crate number on it, that card is also sent to the archive immediately. Also, you don't lose *all* of your advancement cards, only "all in excess of your capacity". So you'll get to keep at least one advancement card, and if you are lucky enough to lose, you might increase your capacity and get to keep more!

3. I guess I already answered this in 1.

4. That depends on play style. In my campaign, we have had to shuffle the deck mid-game on occasion, but not every game.

Edit: I was expecting a ninja, and wasn't disappointed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1 - correct

Q2 - correct. To clarify, when you use the Cloud Port, everything you pay you must have in hand (not in the archive, not in your Charter Chest). Everything paid goes to the discard or general supply.

Q3 -
You get to keep at least one card, since everyone starts with one capacity. But generally, yes, the buildings and other cards not kept will all get shuffled into the general supply, and may get scooped by other players. The persona pictures no longer matter for 'matching' - whoever unlocks them, gets them.

Q4 -
It's going to vary quite a bit by playgroup, as far as I can tell. Based on what you've unlocked (some groups unlock more cards than others), and by group behavior (some groups prioritize getting/holding cards more than others). "Enough" selection is a subjective thing. It's sort of up to players to influence how fast cards cycle by choosing or declining to take or hold cards. It's also up to players to read the relative strength/weakness of holding different cards, or planning on specific types showing up again (e.g. if you don't keep any buildings, how likely are you to be able to pick one up again to get back into the build/unlock track?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
Australia
flag msg tools
Very minor spoiler:
After the initial unlock, "your" buildings follow two tracks. With an advancement card capacity of 2 and some careful play, you can keep an unconstructed building from one track and a crate from the other, thus retaining all "your" cards.

That said, I often grab crates from the advancement mat with the intent of opening them and snarfing the persona and any unlock benefits, and then discarding the building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Small Axe
United States
Aurora
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all. Jamey is correct that I also brought this one over to the Facebook group and got some answers there. I thought we might be playing soon and wanted to hedge my odds of getting answers prior. No need, everyone was quick to help. I am not expecting ninjas personally, but hey, bring em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomau wrote:
Very minor spoiler:
After the initial unlock, "your" buildings follow two tracks. With an advancement card capacity of 2 and some careful play, you can keep an unconstructed building from one track and a crate from the other, thus retaining all "your" cards.

That said, I often grab crates from the advancement mat with the intent of opening them and snarfing the persona and any unlock benefits, and then discarding the building.

Hey Andrew, just to make sure you're playing it right... you are not allowed to open a crate from a card that still has the building sticker attached. It has to be a "constructed building" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
Australia
flag msg tools
kredal wrote:
Hey Andrew, just to make sure you're playing it right... you are not allowed to open a crate from a card that still has the building sticker attached. It has to be a "constructed building" card.
I was using "crate" as shorthand for "constructed building card". So the sequence is:
* acquire constructed building card ("crate")
* open crate (acquire Persona, one or more unconstructed building cards)
* discard said buildings (to pay other costs or end-of-game), keep persona and any other benefits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Ward
United States
Newport News
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly right. (: When you discard the crate card after opening it, it goes to the archive, and you get no further use out of it (i.e. you can't take it to the cloud port or buildings that are looking for specific card types.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
Australia
flag msg tools
kredal wrote:
Mostly right. (: When you discard the crate card after opening it, it goes to the archive, and you get no further use out of it (i.e. you can't take it to the cloud port or buildings that are looking for specific card types.)
Are you going somewhere with this, or just making my example more confusing by clarifying rules that I'm not specifically discussing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomau wrote:
kredal wrote:
Are you going somewhere with this, or just making my example more confusing by clarifying rules that I'm not specifically discussing?

I believe he was just make sure that after opening the crate you put it in the archive immediately instead of holding on to it and using the "opened crate" as a cost at the cloud port, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Josh was misunderstanding Andrew. Andrew wasn't saying that he did anything at all with the now-empty crate (which, as Josh pointed out, is archived). Andrew's point was that he often felt the persona was the real prize, and that he considered the building cards that he got from the crate as expendable -- to be used as currency or lost at the end of the game.

The misunderstanding was that when he referred to "discarding buildings" after unlocks, he was talking about the actual buildings gained from the index, not the expended crate card (which at that point is neither a building nor a crate).

Hope that clarifies rather than confuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W
Australia
flag msg tools
Becq speaks words of wisdom. (But their name plays havoc with my auto-spellcheck ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Danville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone keeps saying to put opened crate cards (or constructed building cards without crate numbers) into the Archive. Are you actually supposed to do this or instead are they just removed from game?
The reason I ask is because we're at Game 8, and our Archive is full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"The archive" = "out of game". In the FAQ, Jamey mentioned that when the archive is full, you can empty it to a convenient alternate location.

Quote:
Archive is full: At a certain point, your Archive tuckbox will likely be full of cards. You can throw away the cards, but just in case you need to backtrack on a potential unlocking mistake, we recommend moving some of these cards to the open space in the Index, separating them from the unlocked cards by a small tuckbox (i, ii, or iii).

In my campaign, we used the method suggested; that is we put the archived cards back into the unused space in the index, along with onbe of the used tuckboxes as a divider. Which also solved the problem of the index being too empty to keep the cards from getting jumbled up during transport of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.