Dixit» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rules You Use! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Bee

Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I'm wondering about the house rules people use for this game. The game itself is very simple, but the scoring is always a bit confusing and it complicates an otherwise very simple party game. I've struggled with trying to simplify it while still keeping the intention behind the scoring system intact (the point structure is to make stories that are vague stories that walk that descriptive tightrope.)

Anything you guys do to make this work?

I've always thought about incorporating Codenames or Machine of Death cards into the mix somehow, as plot hooks or themes that players need to abide by, but I haven't quite got there yet.

Also, I've had some Dixit games naturally turn into a progressive narrative where each storyteller starts their card disruption where the last player left off, making a bizarre wonderland of a story that's super funny and crazy (though obviously it makes no sense!)

What do you guys do?

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/2674/dixit/variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

But don't post a duplicate thread. Just use the red-x to mark the thread "wrong forum" and an admin will move it to the Variants forum.

PS: FWIW we never found the scoring rules confusing or complicated, so we just played with standard scoring as written in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Variants.

I generally try to nail the rules when I explain it. I repeat these over the first couple of rounds and if required provide support to the player that can't come up with a clue.

I also put a strict order on scoring. First the reveal and points for that and then, only then, points for 'false' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with those that say the scoring isn't that difficult. It may help that we have the version of the game with the fold-up scoring track, which includes a run-down of the scoring rules in very simple, easy-to-understand format.

The thing to remember is this:

The active player only scores if some but not all players find their card. They get three points, and anyone who finds the correct card gets three points.

If the active player's clue was too easy or too hard (either all or none find their card), they get nothing, and the other players each get two points.

Anyone who is not the active player gets one point for each vote their card received.

That's it.

As Liam said, reveal the active player's card first, and score based on that. Then score the vote points. Don't clear anything from the table until it's scored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I also put a strict order on scoring. First the reveal and points for that and then, only then, points for 'false' cards.

This is very important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
curtc wrote:

But don't post a duplicate thread.

I didn't mean to suggest that the post there. Rather, I was suggesting can already find existing answers to their question there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
russ wrote:
curtc wrote:

But don't post a duplicate thread.

I didn't mean to suggest that the post there. Rather, I was suggesting can already find existing answers to their question there.

Sorry for confusion; I didn't mean to suggest that you meant to suggest that they repost.

I just meant it as advice to the OP, since very often when someone tells an OP about the correct location for a post, an OP doesn't know about marking "wrong forum" and instead makes a new post. So it seems worth explicitly reminding/informing about red-x "wrong forum".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jose
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use this scoring mechanism: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18046786#18046786

We usually deal one random card from the deck into the submitted cards each round for a scoreless AI player we refer to as Rando.

Occasionally, when we play more than two or three games in a single stretch, we'll call for a theme game where everyone has to give clues that are movie quotes, or titles, or song lyrics.

I think the weirdest, and probably the most difficult theme we've used so far was "D&D Monster Manual".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gus Rocha
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you get points for votes on your card eve if nobody got the correct card right?

I mean, everybody but the storyteller get two points plus however many votes they had in their own card, is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusrocha wrote:
Do you get points for votes on your card eve if nobody got the correct card right?

Yes! That is the 3rd bullet point in the scoring rules:

Dixit rules wrote:
Scoring
- If all players have found the storyteller’s image, or if none have found it, then the storyteller doesn’t score any points and everyone else scores 2 points.
- In any other case, the storyteller scores 3 points and so do the players who found his image.
- Each player, except the storyteller, scores one point for each vote that was placed on their image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.