Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: I changed the name of the thread because it's not really about the Justice League.

It's inevitable that people will start making home brewed heroes for some of DC's fan favorite supers so I thought it would be fun to kick it off now. Obviously we haven't played the game yet so these aren't going to be balanced but I figure when the game does release these could be a good jumping off point for fan designs.

I kind of did this with Evil Superman already. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1949884/evil-superman

I'll guess I'll throw out the first hero.

Quote:
The Flash:
The fastest character in Gotham Chronicles is Catwoman

Seeing as Flash is the fastest man alive he'll have to be faster than that.

My instinct is to basically double all of Catwoman's movement skills (parkour, mobility, elusive, etc.) which would essentially break the movement mechanic for Flash which might make sense because that's what Flash does. Another thought I had was to give Flash crazy amounts of movement BUT factor in momentum some how.

Essentially what this would mean is that you COULD use Flash to basically run across the board but doing so is in-precise and there's a likelihood that you will over run your target.

How to implement Momentum:

Implementation 1: You announce the space you intend to go to and depending on how fast you're moving you roll a different die and the number of successes determines how far you over shoot your target in the direction you were already moving.

EX: 4 movement and under = No die roll. 5-6 movement = roll one yellow die. 6-8 movement = roll one red die.

Implementation 2: Flash has two speeds he can move at. Speed 1 works as normal. You get up to 4 free movements on a turn. Speed 2 gives you, let's say, 8 free movement but you HAVE TO move exactly 8 spaces and you can't back track.

Implementation 3: Flash can move up to 4 spaces for free or for a set cost Flash can move infinite spaces but only in a straight line. This isn't really momentum based but it is a way of giving Flash his speed without breaking the game with it.

Other possible traits:
Sacrifice
Moral Code
Wall Breaker
Tackle: This would be a new move that combines movement with attack and would allow Flash to hit foes as he's running through their space.

Flash can regenerate but it seems to take hours rather than minutes so it probably wouldn't come into play during a single combat scenario.

Alright that's what I got. I'd love to see some of your ideas for Flash or other DC heroes whether they be Justice League or not (Swamp Thing, John Constantine, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Let's spitball some Justice League characters
As I said in a different thread, I think John would work as all stealth and manipulation (and no combat, magic or otherwise). Not that he is tip-toeing around, but he is just not noticed -- just like him breezing through customs in The Books of Magic.

He generally calls on old friends for more esoteric skills like computers or driving, which wouldn't really work. But maybe the cadre of ghosts that follow him around could provide some extra hacking knowledge, or whatever, when needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
As I said in a different thread, I think John would work as all stealth and manipulation (and no combat, magic or otherwise). Not that he is tip-toeing around, but he is just not noticed -- just like him breezing through customs in The Books of Magic.

He generally calls on old friends for more esoteric skills like computers or driving, which wouldn't really work. But maybe the cadre of ghosts that follow him around could provide some extra hacking knowledge, or whatever, when needed.

Interesting. Do you see Constantine having a lot of items since he's so manipulation focused?

I could see John have a handful of support powers like Smoke Bomb though in his case the spoke bomb would be some kind of illusion that puts up a smoke screen for himself and allies.

Luck or Misfortune - Would also be great for John since he always seems to catch the lucky break for himself (though not always for his teammates) and just slip by with his life.

Protected would be funny. Seeing Constantine duck into a group of allies to protect himself due to his lack of physical prowess (as you've said) and his self preservation instinct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see him with a lot of gadgets, although it's true that latter versions of him especially tend to have various artifacts that are a bit more showy.

Something like the smoke bomb as a 'spell' might be a good way to fit him into the B:GCC system.

I know that other Batman mini game has rules for all these characters, but haven't looked into how they do it. (I've only played Conan the once, so aren't exactly an expert in this rule set either.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've only read the prototype rulebook for Gotham Chronicles so that's where I coming from.

Luck = The character gets free rerolls.

Misfortune = "Player A" can force an enemy to reroll a die of "Player A's" choice. So it's kind of a trickster ability to screw over an opponent when they get a really good roll.

Protected = If in the company of a certain number of allies the character can't be targeted for attack so in order to get to John you'd have to take out some of his allies first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All those seem well in character. Shackle, Nerves of Steel, and maybe Support could also work. Imaginary Friend...? (for his ghosts)

For The Flash, btw, I was thinking one way to handle him was to give him a good pool of dice, but cap how many he could commit to one roll. That way he could, for example, do a lot of little attacks, and get lots of re-rolls to do them right. The main problem with that would be it could get tedious to actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea for The Flash could be that he gains 2 movement per cube allocated to movement. So The Flash is good at getting where he's needed quickly. But maybe he's less good at thought or manipulation, so he can't just trigger objectives quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
All those seem well in character. Shackle, Nerves of Steel, and maybe Support could also work. Imaginary Friend...? (for his ghosts)

For The Flash, btw, I was thinking one way to handle him was to give him a good pool of dice, but cap how many he could commit to one roll. That way he could, for example, do a lot of little attacks, and get lots of re-rolls to do them right. The main problem with that would be it could get tedious to actually play.

I wonder what the limit is for traits on a character because I feel like Constantine would perfectly a lot of them haha. For example, the Horror trait would work for John summoning demons/ghosts or conjuring spooky illusions.

I like the idea of quick light attacks for Flash, maybe even combos.

davidryanandersson wrote:
An idea for The Flash could be that he gains 2 movement per cube allocated to movement. So The Flash is good at getting where he's needed quickly. But maybe he's less good at thought or manipulation, so he can't just trigger objectives quickly.

That might work. He definitely needs to be weak at some elements to balance him out with the other heroes.

Another thought I had for Flash was don't go crazy with free movement and traits but just give him a ton of energy cubes (because who has more energy than the Flash?) and have them recover faster than other characters. So maybe you start with 15 energy cubes for Flash and every round you get back five. That way you COULD speed across the board but it's going to cost you a lot of energy but maybe that's ok because you're going to get 5 back next round. So basically you give players a framework that encourages them to play the Flash like the Flash with lots of sprinting, ducking and dodging with out creating any new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my one Conan game I was Savage Belit, who had a base 3 speed, and this skill:

Quote:
Evasive: This character can move as if there were no enemy characters in the character’s area

It really did make me zip around the board more than anyone else, which was good fun. Given the maps aren't that big, a base speed of say 5, Evasive, and some leaping or similar will get him a long way. (Maybe make him take double damage from falling would be good, or at least funny.)

BTW, I found that skill in this document, which contains things that aren't in the Batman rules (that I saw, anyway): Conan Skills Aid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
In my one Conan game I was Savage Belit, who had a base 3 speed, and this skill:

Quote:
Evasive: This character can move as if there were no enemy characters in the character’s area

It really did make me zip around the board more than anyone else, which was good fun. Given the maps aren't that big, a base speed of say 5, Evasive, and some leaping or similar will get him a long way. (Maybe make him take double damage from falling would be good, or at least funny.)

BTW, I found that skill in this document, which contains things that aren't in the Batman rules (that I saw, anyway): Conan Skills Aid

Those stats sound pretty solid. Do you remember if she had any weaknesses?

Yeah I was thinking Flash would likely have all the traits that allow him to ignore hindrances like evasive, mobility and parkour (which allows him to climb up or down with out using extra energy or taking damage) mimicking his ability to run 90 degrees up a wall.

Though it would be funny if Flash tripped over something and tumbled into a wall knocking himself out for a turn haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No particular weaknesses, other than being hit a lot (which might have just been me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a ROUGH Flash I cobbled together from some of the pictures Monolith has released. Hopefully when the game comes out they'll make some of the game elements and icons available to the public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the first draft of Constantine. I gave him some fight but he's still the weakest melee or range hero that we've seen so far. He's even weaker than Harvey Bullock but he's got a fair number of traits to compensate. Basically he's hard to hinder and hard to kill and also pretty good at slowing down the bad guys. Just the fly in the ointment, the monkey in the wrench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies and gentleman, he's big! He's mean! He's here to protect the green! Swamp thiiiiiing!

Swamp Thing is the slowest character (that we know of) with a free movement of one. Swamp Thing is able to command the plant unit that Poison Ivy uses. In addition Swamp Thing can use vines to shackle and immobilize enemy figures as well as give him reach on his melee attack. Though slow Swamp Thing is very reflexive so when he's hit from a distance or short range he will retaliate. Finally Swamp Thing has nerves of steel and can regenerate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any other characters you guys would like to see? Just shout 'em out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
"Yeah, yeah...I know...y-you're Bane. But you...I think you...forgot...
badge
...I'm Batman!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Etrigan the Demon would be lit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
inaholeintheground wrote:
Etrigan the Demon would be lit

Etrigan/Jason Blood works similar to hero Bane/venom bane. You'll be able to switch between Blood and Etrigan during the course of a scenario. When in Etrigan form Blood is much more physically powerful. He moves faster and hits harder but he doesn't regenerate energy. So Etrigan is almost like a turbo boost that you can use for a few short bursts and then you'll have to switch back to Blood to start regenerating again.

Blood is not without his strengths though. He's much smarter and better at manipulation than Etrigan. Basically the brains to Etrigan's brawn. Additionally Blood has a level 2 blast ability thanks to his Eldritch Blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another hero you may recognize.

Diana's got great agility, attack and defense. Her bracelets shield her from two successes on long ranged attacks, her armor is only yellow because well... it doesn't cover very much. Her lasso of truth can be used to pull enemies to her as well as tie them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look good, but I have no idea how balanced they might be.

Still, if you take requests, Watchmen would be cool...

Also Captain Boomerang and Rick Flag would pretty much finish off Suicide Squad, at least for the street level powers (not including the extensive comic roster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashamel wrote:
They look good, but I have no idea how balanced they might be.

Still, if you take requests, Watchmen would be cool...

Also Captain Boomerang and Rick Flag would pretty much finish off Suicide Squad, at least for the street level powers (not including the extensive comic roster).

Yeah I won't know for sure how balanced they are until I have the game in front of me and I can playtest but I am making efforts to get them as close as I can by referencing the hero sheets that we've seen and keeping the stats (# of rerolls, # of traits, # of trait points allotted to each hero, Dice #/variety, etc) within the range Monolith has been using so far.

I'll take a crack at some of those characters. Probably not Dr. Manhattan though since he's basically god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"This card says I can teleport the entire map to Mars, oxygen not included. Is that good?"

Now we just have to add Lucifer and the Endless, and we'll see some real action!

(Would all be worth it for the figures. Don't forget Mazikeen and Bubastis.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

A combination of stealthy sleuth and masochistic brawler. The more you hit Rorschach the more he's going to hit you back thanks to his Counter Attack and Berserk ability which gives him two extra white dice to roll on attacks if his health is at half or below.

Though not quite as nimble, Rorschach could give Catwoman a run for her money in the agility/breaking and entering department. If you equip Rorschach with some of Batman's toys (grappling hook, perhaps?) he's even better.

Finally Rorschach has a genius intellect demonstrated by his +1 investigation. His genius however comes with a side of insanity demonstrated by the more swingy black die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As you might expect, Night Owl shares a lot of similarities with Batman. They're both deft brawlers with solid movement. Night Owl can combo and counter attacks and carries quite a few gadgets. However Night Owl isn't quite up to Batman's keen detective intellect and Night Owl slightly outclasses Bruce on the engineering/mainpulation side of things.

Where the Bat and Owl differ most is that Dan Dreiberg has no free rerolls on his sheet, as well as the more random white die, (meaning more swing and misses) which is emblematic of Dan's occasional... performance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized it's too bad Monolith didn't include a miniature for "The Question" during the kickstarter. It could have easily doubled as Rorschach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Carroll
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the Knight Models minis are out-of-print too, at least for Watchmen. John (and Zatanna) are tempting. I should probably wait to see if this game works out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.