Hide
7 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Recent 0-4 Loss: Strategy Thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Sayre
msg tools
So, a few nights ago, a friend and I played Smash-Up with the recent expansions I bought (Pretty Pretty, Monster Smash, It's Your Fault) in addition to previously owned sets(BGB, base, SFDF, 9000). This resulted in me being completely wiped out which is unusual as we're usually on equal terms and lately I've been dominating in Smash-Up. We always choose our factions by picking the first one randomly and then strategically selecting the next with neither of us knowing what the other person picked. The line-up was as follows:

GAME 1: ME-Mythic horses(random)+tornadoes VS. Geeks(random)+Mad Scientists

Thought I had a good strategy here with this combo. All my moves seemed to be insanely effective and powerful while ruining his strategy with the tornadoes, but every card he played from the Geeks seemed to be the exact thing he needed to screw me over. Really annoying. Close game.

GAME 2: ME-Superheroes+Killer Plants VS. Pirates+Princesses

Started off real strong here (seemingly), but his pirates pretty much killed every citizen I threw out. I only managed to transform one the entire game. He also seemed to draw all of his princesses really early which was unfortunate for me. Not even close game.

GAME 3: ME-Fairies+mythic greeks VS. Steampunks+Dragons

Although I lost this, I love the Fairies/mythic greeks combo. Everything I did felt so complex and powerful....but everything his combo did ended up being better. My last move ended with me playing an elaborate combo with Titania, Hercules, some Spartans,and an Argonaut, and that put me from 0 to 22 power on one base (within 2 of scoring). Would have won the game the next turn. But then he pulled the classic aggromotive-rotary slug-mechanic combo + some Dragon special cards which decimated me. He then proceeded to show me his hand and the various cards he had which would have completely destroyed any chance I had at winning the next turn. Close game.

GAME 4: ME-Sharks+Kitty Cats VS. Vampires+Aliens

Unlike the first three, I felt that I just played this poorly. I love the Sharks/Cats combo, but with the destruction from his vampires and the aliens' typical annoyingness, my plans were consistently ruined and the game was drawn out long enough to where even though I kept controlling/killing all his minions, he would eventually get a superb hand which would put him way ahead of me (plus those damn invaders, crop circles, terraforming...). Despite consistently having tons of minions on a base, I only ended up breaking 1 the entire game...Close kind of.

So, given these combinations, what would have been decent strategies for each side? Are these unevenly matched (i cringed when I saw he got steampunk dragons and that he was playing pirates against my superheroes)? I guess just thoughts in general. My ego was crushed after this sorry display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To win a well matched 1x1 you really need to know both sides cards and strategies.

Game 1 should been about making him waste minions on 1 vp difference bases with movement. You should have score at least 2 bases alone - adventure power and a few dust devils would easily allow that (on top of future space armor power)

GAME 2 is a bad match up - both plants and heroes struggle against pirates abundant 2p minion destroy and CANNOT deal with first mates. Princesses also help on that (pan and appricot) and boost First mates with mighty heirloons.

Game 3 Steampunks+Dragons are godly in 1x1 - between mechanic x2 and ruins x2 flanking attack and great wyrm - you can lose 6vp. You can use mechanic to play rotary/agromotive and win 2 bases instead of negating 2 VP - so we are talking about pulling a 6-8 VP advantage easily.

Game 4 Cats are not particularly effective against aliens, due longer games meaning more opportunities to farm invader. You need to destroy any invader that 1 turn and spread minions with talents. (play fairy sharks later)

http://smashup.wikia.com/wiki/Strategy
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashup/new/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D N

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 2: I've discovered that while it may seem a good combo, Killer Plants/Superheroes just doesn't mesh as well as you'd like it to. Since both rely heavily on searching for more minions, you can run out of steam really quickly if you don't get the right cards. Combine that with pirates destroying all your MMCs and Sprouts... Just yeah.

Game 3: And as was said, Steampunk/Dragon in 1v1 is just ridiculous. Even with your combo, which can put up quite a fight, it's just too easy to get Murdertrain'd every turn by S/D.

Games 1 and 4 just seemed like bad luck on your part or great luck on his part.

One of the things I love most about this game is the chaos that can ensue. I have a friend I also play 1v1 with on a regular basis. Most of the time, I win more games. But at our last session, I had just got That 70s Expansion, and he took all 3 games we played. New chaos worked in his favor.

Don't worry, the Game Gods will even it all out in the end. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game 1: Geeks are very very strong in 2 player. According to Negalend's statistics, Geeks+Mad Scientists will win almost 80% of the time against Mythic Horses+Tornadoes.

I don't know what you could have done better. You had a good strategy, but he had some good counters: Game Guru is immune to your movement, and therefor a prime target for your opponent's +1power counters. Felicia Day can undo your disruption (movement). Control Minion can counter your burst from mythic horses and Wil Wheaton/force of Wil can counter your strongest horses actions.

Game 2:
While Killer Plants seems a good partner for Superheroes, it actually isn't. They both suffer from the same problems and reinforce those problems. They are both vulnerable to 2 power minion destruction, which your opponent had plenty of.
A much better partner for Superheroes would be a faction with ways to further protect your MMC. Fairies is a much better partner for Superheroes. They have ways to protect MMC, have a strong 5 power minion that allows for a lot of burst and Glymmer can turn themselves into 5 power when you want to play justice friends.
Your opponent on the other hand had chosen an excellent partner for his pirates. If you manage to play 2 or 3 heirlooms on your first mate, you're set for a big win. And dinghy is all the more powerful if it can move 2 princesses.

Game 3:
You had a good combo. He had a very good one. I'm not surprised this turned out to be a tense game with two decks able to do great things.
Not much I can give in terms of feedback.

Game 4:
4 factions that slow the game down, and 1 factions that can truly take advantage of a slow game (Aliens). Against Aliens, you want to race: score bases faster than he can replay Invaders. Only use destruction when it helps you win the base, don't destroy just because you can, or just to get 1 counter on a hammerhead.

So in short:
He got lucky in the random pick in game one. He picked better partners in game 2-3-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Sayre
msg tools
I agree with everything you said. What bugs me the most is that he had no idea his factions were good partners. Since this was the first time playing with these new expansions, neither of us knew much about how the combos would pair. Especially him. When he picked Dragons to go with his random steampunks, he had zero idea what the dragons could do. When he picked the princesses for the pirates, again, no clue.

Also, I think I'm going to change our picking process where we don't know what the other person chose. My selection process would have gone much differently (particularly for games 2 and 4).

Thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burninggiraffe23 wrote:

Also, I think I'm going to change our picking process where we don't know what the other person chose. My selection process would have gone much differently (particularly for games 2 and 4).

For 2 players, I like to put 4 to 8 randomly selected factions in the middle of the table. One player picks one, the other picks his both factions, and the first player then picks his second faction. The remaining factions (if any) are not used.

Afterwards, you make a base deck with the bases that come with the expansions from which players selected factions.

All this makes the faction selection process more fun. You can see all the possible combinations for the game. Which strategies can you pick? Which combinations do you leave for your opponent after your pick? Which counter picks are possible against what you want to pick? Which bases would you add to the mix?

And it's the way the game designer suggests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawaii Jack
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Here are some stats on winning rates for factions from my play group with 2p games: 0.500 would be a 50% winning rate so Geeks win 78.9% of the time without regard to the paired faction or the matchup.

Geeks 0.789
Alisns 0.700

Kitty Cats 0.650
Pirates 0.625
Fairies 0.609

Steampunks 0.583
Mythic Horses 0.571
Tornados 0.563
Sharks 0.556

Dragons 0.467
Superheroes 0.462
Mad Scientists 0.444
Killer Plants 0.417

Mythic Greeks 0.320
Vampires 0.308

Princesses 0.298

So you are not looking good just on an individual faction basis, not that this always determines how faction pairings will play out. But just on numbers you appear as the underdog in the first three games.

Game 1:
Exactly what you expect from Geeks, a really annoying screw over. You were pretty much borscht.

Game 2:
Tough matchup for you.

Game 3:
I think Steampunks + Dragons is one of the toughest combos in multi-player.

Game 4:
This is your only combo that I liked. But you went into one of the best counters to it in Aliens.

Sharks + Kitty Cats vs Pirates + Princesses and Horses + Tornados vs Vampires + Aliens, I would have liked your chances in those matchups. Overall you faced better factions and worse matchups and an 0-4 result is not a shocker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.