Taj Mahal» Forums » News

Subject: Reprint by Z-Man Games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hyrum Li
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
https://www.zmangames.com/en/news/2018/4/4/announcing-taj-ma...

A reprint of Taj Mahal is coming up by Z-Man Games under their Euro Classics line!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Total graphic redesign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
Obviously you're not a golfer.
badge
Obviously you're not a golfer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The palace minis look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was completely underwhelmed by this game, and I'm a huge Knizia fan.
It felt like 100% luck of the draw by all three people at the table.
I want a reprint of Tower of Babel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

No kidding? I feel that Taj Mahal is twice the game that Tower of Babel is. So much more going on.

Its not best with three though. It needs four or five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hyrum Li
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
As someone who has shelf space constraint (and thus a limit on the number of games in the collection) and who already has several auction/bidding games like Modern Art, Medici, Ra, and Amun-Re (and is also eyeing the Capstone reprint of Neue Heimat), I'm wondering if this is a must-buy for me.

That said, I'm a Knizia fan too and I've been looking out for this game for awhile..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is one of my favorite games of all time. Modern Art is a total hoot. I have not had a chance to play my copies of Medici or AmunRe yet, but I have read through the rules and they sound great.

I put Taj on my trade/sell list after one play. The mechanics sounded interesting, but none of us felt like it had much strategic decision making whatsoever. You either have good cards, or you don't. Sure, you can choose to go out first if the market has cards you want, but that's pretty punishing. Each of us had to do this at least once in the game, and no one liked it.

Furthermore, Taj lacks the mind games, the cleverness, and the interaction present in Knizia's classics. It wasn't compelling for any of us. I'm pretty surprised this one is making it in. I hated it, and I'm a little ashamed at feeling that way, since I'm a fan, but I hated it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to play it with people who are really good at it (I love it, but am not in that category; I rarely win.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj is great for exactly five players. One of my favorite bidding games.

The redesign looks great, but my edition is just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You need to play it with people who are really good at it (I love it, but am not in that category; I rarely win.)

It's possible, I also think it's possible that it would be better with more players. However, better than the games listed above? Nope. I also thought Tower of Babel had a lot of luck of the draw. That being said, it had that interaction, it had the mind games, and it had the laughs and the cleverness. Those totally made up for it. Throwing down offers was absolutely hilarious. You want to do what's best for you, but you have to get into your opponents minds. You want to participate, but not too much. So funny. That's Knizia for me. Everytime people were thinking about their offers, their faces were tense. And when the offers hit the tables, there was always mirth. He does interaction like no other; not mean interaction, but everyone is involved in what's going on, both strategically and casually. Knizia games are like wine, and I don't even like win. I like whiskey. But, when it comes to interaction, the it's better to have something smooth and easy-going then strong and hasty.

I'm just sad that I traded for a copy of Babel with a missing card

Shame.

P.S. - If anyone wants to trade for my copy, I'm willing and able!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

!00% luck of the draw? Ummm. No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Exactly. The only luck in the game is if someone draws a blind card off the deck, plus the initial hands of cards. Everything else is out in the open.

One of the RK's finest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Ok. 75%. You've swayed me.

But there is little control over much in this game. You've got two choices, add to your row or withdrawl.

It's very difficult to add to your row given the restrictions on how you may do so. It's very dependent on having specific cards. The ways to acquire cards in the game are few and far between. Withdrawl early to get more cards, and lose out on getting more VP, or stay in and hope you don't get blown out of the water by people who have just one more card than you, and possibly lose everything by the time it comes back around to you; both your card and your bet. Bleh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

Exactly. The only luck in the game is if someone draws a blind card off the deck, plus the initial hands of cards. Everything else is out in the open.

One of the RK's finest.

Yes, but you have to blow a lot of your turn to ensure you get the cards you need that are out in the open, and those cards are drawn randomly. I experienced plenty of turns in which there were no cards I desired, and at the same time I had a crap hand and couldn't play any significant sequences beyond one to two cards. What choices are there in that situation? Nothing good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

One of the RK's finest.

Yes, but you have to blow a lot of your turn to ensure you get the cards you need that are out in the open, and those cards are drawn randomly. I experienced plenty of turns in which there were no cards I desired, and at the same time I had a crap hand and couldn't play any significant sequences beyond one to two cards. What choices are there in that situation? Nothing good.

The choice is obvious in that situation. Drop without wasting cards.

A key part of playing Taj well is knowing when to bid and when not to bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

One of the RK's finest.

I agree, but full on non-participation is not fun (personal taste). Especially with only 12 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

One of the RK's finest.

I agree, but full on non-participation is not fun (personal taste). Especially with only 12 rounds.

Fair enough. If you're looking for an auction game in which you should always bid all you can every round, Taj is not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

What choices? Perhaps those one or two cards will get you a piece on the board? That often works for me. Turn position is important there. Drop out and get three cards. Possibly building towards your long suit at the end of the game for bonus points.

The game doesn't let you do anything you want for 12 rounds. You need to sculpt a hand of cards, and choose your battles wisely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two cards in a 3P game, unless we were playing wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I can say: Choosing which cards to pick up when you drop is very important, and noticing which cards each opponent takes is very important. Of course, you can't see the blind draw they get when they drop without playing, but you can see most of the cards they pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
3P game

You were, yes.

I like the game a lot, but would only ever play with five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
3P game

You were, yes.

I like the game a lot, but would only ever play with five.

That's good to hear/know. I feel the same way about Modern Art, although I love Ra with 3. I was enamored with the game based on the rules, but I was concerned about the card draw mechanics, which ended up soiling it for me. Since I hardly ever have the chance to play with a group, I'd rather play my prized Knizias. This one, while it had some luster, didn't shine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Only two cards in a 3P game, unless we were playing wrong.

In a 3-player game (and I agree it's best with 4 or 5; some people prefer 4 and some 5, but no one I know prefers 3,) you lay out 5 cards face up from the deck at the start of every visit. The first 2 to drop out get 2 each (their choice from the face up cards) and the person who drops last (e.g., who "wins" the visit) gets the last card (no choice since there's only one left at that point.) Plus you get an extra card drawn blind from the deck if you drop out without ever playing a card on a given visit.

One reason it's better with more is that you really do need to choose a few times to drop out without playing any cards. Taj Mahal has a lot in common with poker. If you bet every hand in poker, you will probably lose a lot of money, and if you try to play every visit in Taj Mahal, you probably will lose most of your games. If you only have 3, and one drops, then you have just 2 left, and that's not quite enough to have an energetic fight over who gets what they want.

I don't know whether you play poker, but if you do, Justin, do you consider it boring if you don't bet every hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm terrible at poker, and I don't particularly find it engaging. Not participating due to a bad hand is part of it. That's a good comparison you have drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint already! I have not opened my original one yet! shake
I think it would be a good timing to do it, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.