Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the Start without Goods variant from the base game (described at the beginning of the Historical information booklet - oddly enough) with the Salsa expansion, would everyone start with one Salt along with the extra money?

As you cannot purchase Salt, starting with no goods would mean no one gets Salt until they build in a Salt city. It seems to me that if everyone gets a Salt to start with Salsa, you would also start with one for this variant as well.

I suppose we could play it both ways and see which we like best, but just wondered if anyone had any experience.

I get the feeling that no one uses this variant anyway - I could not find any questions or comments about it in either game Forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the variant, but I don't include Salt, as your first turn starts with buying the goods that you expect to need. Buying a wild good therefore seems redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gregbigler wrote:
As you cannot purchase Salt, starting with no goods would mean no one gets Salt until they build in a Salt city. It seems to me that if everyone gets a Salt to start with Salsa, you would also start with one for this variant as well.

I get the feeling that no one uses this variant anyway - I could not find any questions or comments about it in either game Forums.

I play with this variant quite often on boiteajeux and it's just as you describe. You can't buy salt. But, as stated by the earlier comment, you don't need to buy salt if you can simply buy the goods you need. It does require some more planning at the beginning (or, rather, a different way of planning), but I think the variant presents an interesting challenge. I would recommend against starting with any salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
(Also, you're right that it's a dumb variant and you can ignore it safely!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
It's not dumb*; it makes the game a lot more interesting and challenging.

Most of the players I know will only play that way, unless there's a new player in the game.

* Now, I'll grant that where the rule is located is *beyond* dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.