joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its been a long time since i played this. need advice picking 2 mages for solo.

We played once, and found it EXTREMEly fiddly. Thinky. We got walloped and just never opened it again.

Well its solo time. I want to give it another chance.

What 2 mages should i choose? I have first edition kickstart.

Which mage should i choose for 1 mage solo?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest playing just one mage. Any mage.

I have the second edition of the game, i understand one saying this game is fiddly... but i have tasted games like sentinels of the multiverse and gloomhaven, and my dear sir i must say, aeon's end is awfully simple and clear WHEN COMPARED to those hahahah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can coax your second to play again, 2 players is the best count IMO. Engines build up super fast and having a second person handle upkeep while I run my turn is convenient. Makes the game feel pretty smooth until someone has to take a double turn. (Just consider take out Pulverizing Ray from Tier 2.)

As for Mages, I think almost anyone can work. Some form of player healing, like Khadir (Mage) or Essense Theft (Spell) should make for a slightly smoother game when you only have 20 total player health to work off of. It's cool if you decide the game isn't for you or your group. When I play Aeon's End with people who are quick, it's a blast. 30-45 minutes of buildup followed by 15 minutes of feeling like a god, but getting wrecked by an equally powerful nemesis. The larger decision space can lead to some dreadfully slow games with certain people though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
I would suggest playing just one mage. Any mage.

I have the second edition of the game, i understand one saying this game is fiddly... but i have tasted games like sentinels of the multiverse and gloomhaven, and my dear sir i must say, aeon's end is awfully simple and clear WHEN COMPARED to those hahahah

Agreed, I used to love Sentinels of the Multiverse. But once I played Aeon’s End, I was blown away by how smooth and slick it plays. Going back to SotM, I was struck by how slow and tiresome it now seems by comparison. I wanted to stop playing after a few rounds, and play Aeon’s End instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Well its been a long time since i played this. need advice picking 2 mages for solo.

We played once, and found it EXTREMEly fiddly. Thinky. We got walloped and just never opened it again.

I'm surprised. What did you find fiddly?

I would suggest Jian and Kadir.
Blast things we Jian, build up Kadir and support Jian, then when one of the two has plenty of spells in their discard pile, fire off Kadir's ability and profit. If dealing 30 damage doesn't make you happy I don't know what will.

Play Rageborne if you don't mind a little randomness. If you do play Prince of Gluttons. Just don't pay attention to the Devoured pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tracking health/tokens and remembering to start with the Cast Spells phase has been the only thing I've noticed being difficult with my groups.

Spindown dice make things better, but not everyone has em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joel siragher
United States
silver spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im glad you guys talked me in to playin this. the game is BURSTING with flavor.

Not sure why themed it as demons from the outer realms, it could have just as easily been themed as a tower defense with normal d&D type monsters.

Any way. im glad i played again. HEres the scoop.

Well, ive played this all weekend. i played 3 games solo friday and saturday. lost 3 then won 3... then 2 games today, won both

with the 2 character mentioned above jaina and whats his name...played rageborn and horde crone.

Game is too easy now.

One question gets me. What is SWARM? thats not defined any where?

id like to try medium difficulty and then harder.

When i solo 2 chars, should i be removing 4 cards from the aeon monster deck, to star? i read that somewhere. that means that 4 of the tier 1 cards are gone and you zip right into tier 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
runescience wrote:

When i solo 2 chars, should i be removing 4 cards from the aeon monster deck, to star? i read that somewhere. that means that 4 of the tier 1 cards are gone and you zip right into tier 2.

Swarm is defined on the Carapace Queen' s husk mat. Basically, you count the number of husks in play and take the indicated action.

Soloing two characters is the same setup as a standard two player game. You'd add 3-5-7 cards to the Tier 1-2-3 nemesis deck, so you'd wind up with six Tier 1 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
runescience wrote:
Im glad you guys talked me in to playin this. the game is BURSTING with flavor.

Not sure why themed it as demons from the outer realms, it could have just as easily been themed as a tower defense with normal d&D type monsters.

Any way. im glad i played again. HEres the scoop.

Well, ive played this all weekend. i played 3 games solo friday and saturday. lost 3 then won 3... then 2 games today, won both

with the 2 character mentioned above jaina and whats his name...played rageborn and horde crone.

Game is too easy now.

id like to try medium difficulty and then harder.

Like Will mentioned, Swarm is a Carapace Queen-specific keyword, same as Strike is a Rageborne-specific keyword. If you encountered it against another Nemesis then you've done something wrong and shuffled her cards in the basic sets Check this out.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how the Nemesis deck is constructed.

Here's how it goes:

Take the cards that come with your Nemesis. There should be three for each tier, plus any tier 0 card that it might have.

Set the tier 0 cards apart.

From the basic Nemesis cards (and none of the other Nemesis, make sure to remove any there might be), separate each card by tier.

Then refer to the chart in the rulebook to construct the deck, adding basic cards according to the player number, add the specific cards, and shuffle by tier. Put the tier 3 cards at the bottom of the deck, then tier 2 on top of that, then tier 1 on top of that.

With 2 characters, you should have a total of 6 tier 1 cards, 8 tier 2 cards and 10 tier 3 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.