The City of Kings» Forums » General

Subject: Scenario: Memory Stone. No time to gather 30 stone. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Johansen
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, explain for me how it is posible to gather 30 stones in 12 turns for 2 players?

You have 2 hopes and its not mathematic possible for the workers to go and gather 30 stones and get them back in time.
You will not roll 3 stones every time. You vill get enemy in the way.
You cant explore anything els, and your heros is usless in this quest(ok fight the mobs that comes up when workers spawn them)

I think that the biggest fail with this game is that there isent any time without cheeting to make you do the scenarios.

Story we have done the first and it went pretty easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is very harsh criticism, and fortunately it's also completely wrong.

When I completed it, two turns early, I had two heroes: one player only upgraded their workers, explored the way to a source of stone and created quests (using interact on a quest location), while the other was a fighting machine that ran around, killing spawned creatures and quest creatures for XP to upgrade workers and attack. He was critically wounded once, but we had morale to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Johansen
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I will try it again and se what we can do diffrent.
But it needs a lot of luck to to get quest in a good position. But then it should be possible to do it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have done it without quests, I'm rather sure, I don't think it's luck. I played my first two-player game completely unoptomal, trying to make both characters be OK at everything - I really think you need to focus so your actions are maximised.

I playtest and help develop a game once in a while, and I'm amazed at how new players think they understand everything. This also happens in my own playgroup, where we have to remind players that it has probably been playetested a vast number of times, by far better players, so their critique after a single game of "luck", randomness and "obvious optimal strategies/broken characters" is always, without a doubt, incorrect. Play five times and then tell me it's broken. It probably still isn't, but now we can discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gulde
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
You also have to look at it from a new players perspective. Did I make this game too challenging from the get go. Are only very experience (game testers) going to pick it up right away.
Playing the same level 5 times (potentially spending 10+ hrs) does not sound appealing. Especially if you are getting pummeled the whole time.

You can get very unlucky with where the tiles are you need, what you roll, and avoiding additional monster spawns.
And players have to accept the roles they are given. Someone must only focus on worker development. "Sorry Joe... I want to be the fighter this game. You need to spend all your turns moving workers around for 2hrs". This is slightly exaggerated but not far off.

IF you are flipping random tiles (that is luck)
IF you are rolling dice with variable values (that is luck)
Flipping Equipment cards that may not be good for many level-ups (that is luck)

Now... I own and do enjoy this game 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I vastly enjoy it solo because of the roles it has not gone over well with my cohorts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Capt D
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
I initially thought the same problem with this scenario (solo with 2 heroes). However I persevered trying different ways to upgrade workers and heroes plus how to use both workers and heroes to the best advantage. Attempt 6 and I succeeded with time to spare. A little good luck helps but as with all games there is a risk of both bad and good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cokayne
United Kingdom
Preston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently trying to figure this scenario out with 4. So you start with only 2 hope and the very first turn you move immediately into evening. This means you only actually have 7 rounds. Realistically your first xp needs to be spent on attack by at least a couple of players. I just don't see how you have enough time to get enough xp killing monsters to get enough xp to upgrade your hero enough to survive enough to get enough do to upgrade your cart sufficiently (move 3 gather minimum of 2) in the limited time you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United Kingdom
Preston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazerus101 wrote:
We are currently trying to figure this scenario out with 4. So you start with only 2 hope and the very first turn you move immediately into evening. This means you only actually have 7 rounds. Realistically your first xp needs to be spent on attack by at least a couple of players. I just don't see how you have enough time to get enough xp killing monsters to get enough xp to upgrade your hero enough to survive enough to get enough do to upgrade your cart sufficiently (move 3 gather minimum of 2) in the limited time you have.

I was also in this game, and struggled to see how it was possible.

This is roughly how the game went

Turn 1
Player 1 -
move worker
explore with worker towards stone reserve - revealing monster
move hero
Attack

Player 2
Move hero
Attack
Attack
Move worker

Player 3
Move hero
Attack
Attack
Move worker

Player four
Move hero
Attack - killing monster, gaining so all players decide to up attack stat
Move worker
Explore (revealing quest spot)

Turn 2
Player 1
Move worker
Move worker to east ore
Gather
Gather

Player 2
Move worker
Move worker to east ore
Gather
gather

Player 3
Move worker
Move hero to quest spot
Interact with quest spot revealing a gather quest
Move worker to north ore

Player 4
Move worker
Move worker to north ore
Gather
Gather

Turn 3
Player 1
Gather
Gather
Move worker
Move worker
(Now 1 space away from The city of kings)

Player 2
Gather
Move worker
Move worker
Move hero (to quest spot)

Player 3
Gather
Move worker
Move worker
Move hero (to quest spot)

Player 4
Gather
Gather
Move worker
Move worker

Both ore locations now have 3 noise tokens. So we decide to move our hero’s to the north should we need to fight a monster there.

Turn 4
Player 1
move worker - depositing 5 ore
Move worker
Move hero to quest spot
Interact revealing a gather quest

Player 2
Move worker depositing 6 ore
Move worker
Interact with quest revealing gather quest
Move hero to north ore spot

Player 3
Move worker depositing 5 ore (total of 16 ore)
Move worker
Interact with quest revealing another gather quest
Move hero to north ore spot

Player 4
Move worker depositing 2 ore (total of 18 ore)
Move worker
Move hero
Pass

Turn 5
Player 1
Move worker
Move worker
Gather revealing monster as a result of noise
Move hero to north

Player 2
Attack
attack
Move worker

At this point we decide to stop. As we don’t see how we can win, we’d need very lucky rolls to ensure we gathered 30 more ore. And also to get out workers back, we’d need:
Kill the monster
To each move our workers twice back to ore spot
gather at least twice this taking the rest of turn 5/6
And then move the workers 3 times to get back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil B.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, i played this scenario yesterday solo with 2 heroes and wanted to share my solution.

I needed three tries to succeed, after a two time loss i also thought this scenario is maybe not possible and googled and found this thread. I didn't want to read any solutions since i like the puzzling but i read one tip which helped me a lot: quests.

I focused all my gathering on the bottom right resource. Leveled one Hero to be an assassin with as much damage as possible and the other did only gathering. After (luckily) finding the quest tile early i got two nice quests which got me, together with killing the monsters which spawned from attention tokens, enough XP to have one hero doing 4 dmg and the other having worker speed 3 and gather 2. This made is possible to go from the City to the resources with 1 move, gather 2 times and than go back to the city with the last move. The other hero did hang around and killed everything that spawned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cokayne
United Kingdom
Preston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phib wrote:
Hi, i played this scenario yesterday solo with 2 heroes and wanted to share my solution.

I needed three tries to succeed, after a two time loss i also thought this scenario is maybe not possible and googled and found this thread. I didn't want to read any solutions since i like the puzzling but i read one tip which helped me a lot: quests.

I focused all my gathering on the bottom right resource. Leveled one Hero to be an assassin with as much damage as possible and the other did only gathering. After (luckily) finding the quest tile early i got two nice quests which got me, together with killing the monsters which spawned from attention tokens, enough XP to have one hero doing 4 dmg and the other having worker speed 3 and gather 2. This made is possible to go from the City to the resources with 1 move, gather 2 times and than go back to the city with the last move. The other hero did hang around and killed everything that spawned.

Unfortunately this basically means you are essentially gambling on getting favourable quests.
In our experience most quests have required us to set up ANOTHER monster which we are ill prepared for, at which point you have to risk another quest to get enough XP to beat the one you just spawned and HOPE that it isn't Yet ANOTHER "set up a monster" quest. But if you do that, you are standing on the quest spot. Where you just spawned the last monster (and potentially yet another one). So are likely dead on the next pass.

Unfortunately we are getting rather tired of setting up, playing through 20-30 mins before realising that we haven't got the lucky optimal quests and therefore might as well write that session off and start over.

Of course maybe we are just getting unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil B.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lazerus101 wrote:

Unfortunately this basically means you are essentially gambling on getting favourable quests.
In our experience most quests have required us to set up ANOTHER monster which we are ill prepared for, at which point you have to risk another quest to get enough XP to beat the one you just spawned and HOPE that it isn't Yet ANOTHER "set up a monster" quest. But if you do that, you are standing on the quest spot. Where you just spawned the last monster (and potentially yet another one). So are likely dead on the next pass.

That's true, I got lucky and go the "Add one attention token to all resources" quest which wasn't to bad. A monster spawned at the top left resource but I just stayed out of range. The other quest spawned a monster but the early ones are easy to beat, so it ramped up from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Cokayne
United Kingdom
Preston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe these small quests are balanced differently with 2 as they are with 4. For us at least to kill the first and second monsters, by the time a third had spawned it would have taken us more time than we had remaining to kill it, as pretty much all but the first have a mix of reflect, armour and/or healing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Finally got around to trying this scenario to see if it’s really that much of a problem. Was able to collect 34 wood with two rounds remaining. Some keys to success...

Use brutius. His Ignore skill is the best in the game for gathering. Focus allhis stats on getting 4 gather then getting 3 move. I was able to get 29 of the 34 stone from one location since brutius could just remove attention tokens I even had bad rolls in Spawned monsters twice but was prepared and was able to defeat it.

Your other character is all attack. With one or two extra attack from gear he should be able to handle anything.

Completed 3 quests and killed 5 creatures two of which spawned from quests.

One thing I’ve learned is don’t just strategize how to build your characters but also look at the character sheets and strategize what characters are going to be most effective in each scenario or story based on what you’re attempting to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.