Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the sense that this game is like Sucker Punch the movie in board game format. No problem there. However, I've read and seen lots of talks that some enemies may not be enemies at all. Is there some reveal or something like that after combat?
Is there any mechanic that plays with your mind somehow? Or its all spoken about but no real pros or cons for your mental state of mind?
Does your character get better mentally? I'm not entirely sure how the theme shines through.

Also how clumsy is the game? Does it feel bloated in terms of mechanics that should be refined?
I've seen some videos and it seems that way. Clumsy, not entirely thought out in terms of gameplay.

Please remember I do not own it, I'm interested in it but Id like to know from folks that own it and played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm not a good person to respond as I've only played it a few times now ( but like it and intend on playing more ). So your Insanity level can go up and down and there are benefits/detriments for being insane ( your skills take longer to cool down, but you you get a benefit if goes too high - don't recall what it is since I've not gotten that insane yet ). This game is a goal oriented game - you complete the goal before the Warden is "released", you win. If you don't, then you fight the Warden who is very tough to take down ( and his power scales to the number of players playing ). I don't find the game clumsy at all - pretty sound game logic best I can tell, lost my first game by 1 round and won the 2nd by only 2 rounds ( meaning before Warden completes his track and can now fight you ). I actually learned how to play from the rules and not from the aid provided by Judge here on BGG ( I found Judge's tiles confusing as he employs arrows to point at objects - would be so much easier to understand if he simply color coded objects - the big complaint about the game is the board it too difficult to discern what goes where as it's dark shaded - but gets easier faster after you play a game ). The rules are not long, but they did a good job in not making it complicated and provided a nice array of scenarios to play with - and you can make your own scenarios, there are fan-made, etc. I really like the game, myself - very fun/clever theme, the miniatures are amazing in detail and construction ( the Warden figure is hilariously designed ), very high quality components that seem will last a long time ( I sleeved my cards ). Anyways, can't guarantee you'll like it, of course, but this gamer here likes it a lot.

Recommendation if you buy it: Don't spend too much time on figuring out where to put cabinets and bodies on the board - as it's random which tiles you pick ( except 1 of the tiles will be scenario specific ), so just put some out there to get yourself going and it'll be fine. I even played with all the doors unlocked first game just to get playing and I still lost. So don't let the confusion of the board layout slow your start, just go with it and follow the numbers and it's still fun.

One more thing - imagination rolls are a bit confusing as it's treated in 2 different ways depending on what you're rolling it for. It can be you're rolling to be under your Imagination number or you're rolling a number of dice equal to your Imagination number and 4/5/6 for each die are considered successes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thanks.
Would you say the game is puzzly like Legends of Andor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I would call it clumsy, but the mechanics feel like they could be streamlined a bit. Especially the different kind of dice rolls - I'm sure it could have been designed with more unified mechanics.

On the other hand, it's dripping theme. The characters actually get mentally worse over time - whereby every disorder equals a skill, so you actually become more powerful (or at least you imagine to...). I love that later in the game, you can even imagine new cabinets, that you then can search for stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Hmm, thanks.
Would you say the game is puzzly like Legends of Andor?

No. It plays much more tactical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some mechanic whereas you search for made up cabinets but the realize there is nothing? Or you get crazier because there was nothing ever there? or you take damage or something? Or is it always positive the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion. Really looking to trade for this game someday - it sounds very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
Is there some mechanic whereas you search for made up cabinets but the realize there is nothing? Or you get crazier because there was nothing ever there? or you take damage or something? Or is it always positive the results?

You have to make an imagination roll or something. IIRC, you either find something, or simply wasted an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, that makes sense.

ipreuss wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:

You have to make an imagination roll or something. IIRC, you either find something, or simply wasted an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What of combat? does the same principle apply?
Would I attack something that wasn't really there? or face a danger that wasn't there? Anything else I should know that would apply because it was thematic. Things along this line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
What of combat? does the same principle apply?
Would I attack something that wasn't really there? or face a danger that wasn't there? Anything else I should know that would apply because it was thematic. Things along this line.

There may be a scenario employing something like that ( didn't read them all ), but basically no. This game is more strategic than combat as most of the "monsters" you can take out quick in a round ( but you're using an action, slowing you down ). Where it gets hairy is fighting multiple ones, so you have to think to avoid too many monsters at once while not delaying your objective as well. Some of the monsters get tougher, but the don't show up frequently and when they do I think the idea is to team up on them. If you "die", you just go back to the middle of the board ( again, more strategy, I purposely allowed myself to die by running to 4 monsters at once to move me across the board faster ), except when being killed by The Warden ( then death is final ).

Let me tell ya, I'm a rather dull knife, so if I can figure this thing out without much fanfare, anyone can ( once you get past the mental block of frustration figuring out how to set up the board ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I heard the setup was pretty involved.
The sounds a lot like Fireteam Zero with some obvious changes.
I think I have some good information at this point.
Thank you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, setup is fast once you know what you're doing. Just getting to that point is frustrating ( the seed of it all is the board is simply too difficult to understand where to put what given it's monochromatic nature, but once you get used to looking at it after a gameplay or two, it gets easy fast ). I think this is how it was missed during development, they play-tested so much it wasn't apparent to the developers the problem of how hard it would be to discern the board for new players. I look at the board now and am confused as to why I found it so hard to "see it" in the beginning, it's simply obvious to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
even better.
I'm currently looking at getting a copy. If anyone knows where I can get a KS version on the madness level. Please let m,e know. Thanks to you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Duran
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only places I know to get a KS version is here on BGG Geek Market and eBay. Could be some resellers like miniaturemarket and gamenerdz that picked up KS copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'm going through all the normal channels. See what jumps up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
gelaar wrote:
The only places I know to get a KS version is here on BGG Geek Market and eBay. Could be some resellers like miniaturemarket and gamenerdz that picked up KS copies.

Ironically enough, it appears that this is also true for the ROW backers who STILL have not received a single item from this campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just email Titan-Forge to get a KS version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean? Purchase KS version from them directly? The madness pledge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott D
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
That’s what I’ve heard...which is super frustrating for ROW backers who still have nothing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice Stephenson
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
firewolf81 wrote:
That’s what I’ve heard...which is super frustrating for ROW backers who still have nothing...

At least your copy will be put to a good use this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.