Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to mazimize your number of scenarios (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A C
msg tools
mb
The following contains spoilers. If you would rather take your chances, do not read.

But if you want to maximize the number of scenarios you do, then:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Do 3 before 8 (do not do 9)
do 24 before doing 34,
Do 34 before aiding the Drake
Do 35 before doing 21,
do 21 before doing 31

Do not EVER do 42, 27, or 36, all of these scenarios block multiple other scenarios and do not allow you to do anything new

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tarkin2 wrote:
The following contains spoilers. If you would rather take your chances, do not read.

But if you want to maximize the number of scenarios you do, then:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Do 3 before 8 (do not do 9)
do 24 before doing 34,
Do 34 before aiding the Drake
Do 35 before doing 21,
do 21 before doing 31

Do not EVER do 42, 27, or 36, all of these scenarios block multiple other scenarios and do not allow you to do anything new



Spoiler (click to reveal)
Do 50 before 49 and then do 27 in casual mode. 27 is great and needs to be done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Why do you need to do 27 in casual mode? You can aid the Demons (22, 35, 45), then help the guard take back the city (50), then go kill the prime demon (21), and then, help Hail close the rift (27). Is that not correct? Am I missing something?

Also, you cannot do both 50 and 49, because the city rule changes and they require two different city rules to be achieved.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mhl7 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Why do you need to do 27 in casual mode? You can aid the Demons (22, 35, 45), then help the guard take back the city (50), then go kill the prime demon (21), and then, help Hail close the rift (27). Is that not correct? Am I missing something?

Also, you cannot do both 50 and 49, because the city rule changes and they require two different city rules to be achieved.

You are probably correct. I was using this and I think I just misinterpreted the last page:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143318/gloomhaven-campaig...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
My main point was I think people should do #27
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TimTamSlam
msg tools
Thanks for this! I've been curious what the optimal path is when looking for maximum campaign scenarios.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
Xaqery wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
My main point was I think people should do #27


I can't argue with that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g mos
msg tools
But you don't get the great reward is you only do it on casual mode correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gandoron wrote:
But you don't get the great reward is you only do it on casual mode correct?

I think michele thinks you can play it in campaign mode if you do it right.

But you are correct. If you play in casual mode you do not recieve any of the rewards at the end. In the this case its not the end that is rewarding. It's the scenario itself.

After completing
Spoiler (click to reveal)
#27 I decided that I deserved it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weisz
Sweden
flag msg tools
Seems to me that the characters need to have split personalities to do both scenarios that seem to be "evil" acts and ones that seem to be "good" acts.

I consider scenarios that lower party reputation and/or city prosperity to be "Evil" and scenarios that raises these to be "good".

Can anybody come up with good reasons why the same party would do this?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
A very good reason is because the players want to maximize th le number of scenarios played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
Does anybody know, while using this technique, how easy it would be to get through all the City/Road events?
There are 69 Road and 81 City, total. I know some of these are added to the deck via events that might not happen to my party, but if I get to a point where there are still events in the deck but only casual scenarios left to play, that will be a sad point in time for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nordell

North Carolina
msg tools
MikeyMike666 wrote:
Seems to me that the characters need to have split personalities to do both scenarios that seem to be "evil" acts and ones that seem to be "good" acts.

I consider scenarios that lower party reputation and/or city prosperity to be "Evil" and scenarios that raises these to be "good".

Can anybody come up with good reasons why the same party would do this?



Yeah, I think our party would have difficulty role playing this, because we are basically playing good. But to answer your question, you could be playing a "chaotic" party, I guess.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PoshFrosh wrote:
Yeah, I think our party would have difficulty role playing this, because we are basically playing good. But to answer your question, you could be playing a "chaotic" party, I guess.


LOL, Everytime I try to pick a "Good" act it just ends up screwing me over. Help and old lady out, here's a curse for you, save a city guard, lose 10 gold (these are not actual event cards to my knowledge, just examples to make the point). Then when I try to do something "Evil" good things start to happen. City and Road events were simply made to screw with you really bad.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
mb
MikeyMike666 wrote:
Seems to me that the characters need to have split personalities to do both scenarios that seem to be "evil" acts and ones that seem to be "good" acts.

I consider scenarios that lower party reputation and/or city prosperity to be "Evil" and scenarios that raises these to be "good".

Can anybody come up with good reasons why the same party would do this?


Two methods:
You are not playing one character, you are playing a group of characters.
As such, the party can be half good and half evil. If they vote on what to do, sometimes the evil guys will win and sometimes the good guys will win.

In fact, they could decide which to do by saying "I will agree to save the dog, if you give me your vote next time."

Or consider a 3 party situation, two good and one evil. When a good guy retires, he is replaced with an evil guy. So where you used to do good stuff, now you do evil stuff.

Both of these situations work best if you play realistically slightly greedy, rather than 'pure heroically'. I.e. your characters may be good and/evil, but both sides know they need to make money or they starve to death. So just like in real life, sometimes you work with/for idiots/bastards.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weisz
Sweden
flag msg tools
tarkin2 wrote:
MikeyMike666 wrote:
Seems to me that the characters need to have split personalities to do both scenarios that seem to be "evil" acts and ones that seem to be "good" acts.

I consider scenarios that lower party reputation and/or city prosperity to be "Evil" and scenarios that raises these to be "good".

Can anybody come up with good reasons why the same party would do this?


Two methods:
You are not playing one character, you are playing a group of characters.
As such, the party can be half good and half evil. If they vote on what to do, sometimes the evil guys will win and sometimes the good guys will win.

In fact, they could decide which to do by saying "I will agree to save the dog, if you give me your vote next time."

Or consider a 3 party situation, two good and one evil. When a good guy retires, he is replaced with an evil guy. So where you used to do good stuff, now you do evil stuff.

Both of these situations work best if you play realistically slightly greedy, rather than 'pure heroically'. I.e. your characters may be good and/evil, but both sides know they need to make money or they starve to death. So just like in real life, sometimes you work with/for idiots/bastards.



I undertand your point, but in my world individuals with highly different ethics would not work together in the long run. they would either kick the odd individual out of the group or leave the group.

The same when they conduct interviews with new prospects, if they discover that a prospect have completely different values that the current group they wont let that prospect join.

But I agree it would work if the majority of the group are in the "middle". My current group has two generally very "good" characters and a scoundrel that's more in the middle.

PS I know this is not the main subject of this thread so perhaps I should delete these?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael NA
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Taking the Inox as an excample, the race has certain racial views about never backing down from a challenge and how the strong rule the weak.

This would lead me to RP that when attacked, regardsless if it's by bandits, guards or a old man, that I, as an Inox, would defend myself, with lethal force if needed.

This might in some event be a "good" act, in other events its a "bad" act, but this is how "bad" and "good" characters might stay in the same party, because they aren't inherently good or bad necesseraly...
sometimes their personalities just makes them react in certain ways that us as players view as morally "bad"

also, you should never underestimate the bonds made in combat...
When someone have saved your life, taken a sword that was meant for you or killed the Vermling that was going for your throat...
You're alot more likely to forgive them being a little greedy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.