Subject: Alistair Maclean type theme? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the exception of maybe ambush and heroes of normandie are there any other sort of games that give that sort of Alistair MacLean "Boys own adventure" feel to them.

Just reading The guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare and was looking to see if there was anything similar i could get to the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V-Commandos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kreutzer
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Escape from Colditz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Raid on St. Nazaire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Orchestra- Conspire to eliminate Hitler.
Green Berets: Vietnam- Run a couple of GB teams to accomplish a variety of missions.
Earth Reborn- not WWII but it is a skirmish game that has a bunch of missions like that.
Aliens- Again not WWII.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
For his war novels:

Guns of Navarone /Force 10 from Navarone / Where Eagles Dare - possibly Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit or Incursion plus you have already cited Heroes of Normandie. Actually this sort of caper might be done better by an RPG than a wargame.

HMS Ulysses - PQ-17: Arctic Naval Operations 1941-1943 or North Cape: Convoy Battles in the Arctic, 1942-45.

South by Java Head - Lifeboat??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Range Desert Group: Special Operations Against Rommel by Decision Games is solitaire, cheap ($14.95 ziploc bagged minigame), fast-playing and simulates the Allied raiding war by the LRDG, SAS and commandos behind Axis lines in 1941 and 1942 North Africa.

Although the units are platoon-to-company sized raiding elements, the scale of the map and your player point-of-view are operational. Battles are abstracted dice-chucking affairs -- but...

I've become somewhat infatuated with the subject matter lately and I've developed a way to link LRDG with the great tactical game, Lock 'n' Load Tactical: Heroes of North Africa. Check the "files" section there. You can print-and-play my set of 3 special desert raiders LnLT countersheets, and an aid to show how the LRDG operational counters translate into LnLT orders of battle for tactical play. I'm still making and will be uploading a few more elements of this mod (OPFOR orders of battle and a set of scenarios) as time goes on.

The end result will be a fun operational/tactical campaign using both games, which lets you race around the desert on hit-and-run ops and blow stuff up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Millen
United Kingdom
Greyabbey
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
Also you might be interested in Tannhäuser if you can get it at a reasonable cost, for Alistair McLean vibes.

Although I have a major beef with Tannhauser, fine game though it is, for failure to include appropriate British or French characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Sniper! Special Forces: Sniper! Companion Game #2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Panic Station was totally based on Ice Station Zebra, but unfortunately the game sucks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools

always had a bit of that feel to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hour of Glory: Stronghold Kit.

Tannhäuser is in the same kind of theme, though the setting has horror/science fiction elements to it.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I had "hour of glory" and "earth reborn" previously and St Nazaire is permanently on my wishlist. However V Commandos and black orchestra look interesting. I also have copies of SPIs Commando, AHs Firepower and Victory Game's James bond assault game lying about unread...I'm not sure if they will fit the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raid, an SPI game at fire team level, an early (1977) Mark Herman design.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4037/raid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadsword56 wrote:
and I've developed a way to link LRDG with the great tactical game, Lock 'n' Load Tactical: Heroes of North Africa.

That's darned impressive! Nice work sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.