8 Posts

Dungeon Alliance» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special effects on reaction cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TenMore Mr.
Denmark
flag msg tools
The reaction card Counter strike has a bonus (+1 Dodge) and a special effect (inflict 2 automatic damage). The bonus has immediate effect and persists for the rest of the round.

The special effect works when played in response to an attack, but does it persost for the rest of the round? In other words, does every attack against Emanon for the rest of the round trigger the 2 automatic damage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny O
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really good question. I may have been playing it wrong, but for that card and other Reaction cards that have effects aside from simple defense bonuses, if the card says that I may play it to get the effect (for examples, Roll with the Blow or Stubborn), then it only works when I play it. If it says "Afterwards...", or "After the Attack,...", (like Counter Strike or Acrobatics) then the effect works after each attack.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure I'm right. I AM sure that bonuses to Dodge or Armor do last through the Round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Manny is incorrect in this instance. Effects that trigger when the card is played only happen once, even though the stat bonus itself remains until the end of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TenMore Mr.
Denmark
flag msg tools
Andrew, you write that 'Manny is correct', but then continue with something that is different from what Manny stated (if i read both of you correctly), so now I am confused.

Is it only the stat bonus (melee attack, ranged attack, armor, dodge or speed) that remains until the end of the round, or is it also effects that are formulated as 'Afterwards...' or 'After the attack...'.

Sorry to be a bit pedantic , but these things tend to be discussed over and over in my group... I really appreciate all the answers you provide at this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I misread Manny's answer. blush

I edited my response to say Manny was incorrect.surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew - is the same true for Revive? Another thread suggested that cards previously played on a character are active during a Revive, but I'm wondering if that only means stat bonuses. For example, if Emanon plays Open Hand Attack, and is later reactivated via Revive, can he do a double attack again? (For that matter, can he use that for both attacks on his normal turn if he doesn't move?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narcisco, yes the same is true of Revive or making additional attacks. Only the stat bonus persists beyond the initial play of the card.

There are some exceptions, where a particular ability specifically lasts until the end of the activation. For example, Melinda's Point Blank Shot allows her to make ranged attacks against adjacent targets throughout her activation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, then my scores in my first couple of games should have been even more pitiful than they actually were. I didn't even think that was possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.