Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Advanced Game: Bernals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Schrieber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi!

I'll be playing my first Advanced game tomorrow with some friends. I've got a fairly good handle on the majority of rules at this point, but some things about Bernals aren't sitting well.

Full disclosure, I don't have my rules handy, so this is from memory. I'm more looking for a sense of how some of this works, not the itemization of the rules.

The Bernal can move like a normal rocket, with a few exceptions. I'm thinking it can't land, though, as it's a space station. Generally you park it somewhere that puts it adjacent to a dirtside (effectively a factory on a site). Do you then sort of use it as a station for your rocket, etc.

Is the Ersatz Bernal simply a stationary Bernal? It never leaves home orbit space, right? And, you can't launch one until you have promoted your Bernal (to it's black side)? Can they co-locate? (Is there any reason to do that?)

That's probably enough for now. Thanks in advance. I know it's a little ambiguous. I tend to understand these better when I understand their function or analog.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with Bernals yet. Here's what I see as their "purpose":

-- increase Colonist limit (more operations!)
-- serve as a Lab to promote cards
-- the dirtside thing (more isotope fuel, ET produce & refuel to orbit)

Getting a Bernal to a science site so you can make with the purple cards seems pretty important.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
trianglemoon wrote:
The Bernal can move like a normal rocket, with a few exceptions. I'm thinking it can't land, though, as it's a space station. Generally you park it somewhere that puts it adjacent to a dirtside (effectively a factory on a site). Do you then sort of use it as a station for your rocket, etc.
Sounds about right. I'd need to double-check the dirtside rules, but generally speaking yes.

EDIT:Oops, forgot that Bernals can land, but only on sites size 5 and smaller since they are banned from going through lander burns. Generally speaking though, unless you're dealing with comet labs it's almost always better to stay in orbit.

Quote:
Is the Ersatz Bernal simply a stationary Bernal? It never leaves home orbit space, right? And, you can't launch one until you have promoted your Bernal (to it's black side)? Can they co-locate? (Is there any reason to do that?)
Yes, yes, no, yes.
The one no: Bernals start black and promote to purple. The side rubric is: white=boosted, black=constructed, purple=promoted. Once your Bernal leaves orbit (under own power or towed) you can boost the Ersatz Bernal. Once that happens, the standard Bernal can fly back to the home orbit (though it doesn't double up your factional privilege or anything).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ersatz Bernal is primarily a way for you to have your cake and eat it too - you can get the benefits of Dirtsides (easier production, Lab with a science site) AND the benefits of having a Bernal in its home orbit (Boosting directly to it and possibly a faction benefit like the Sunflower Cycler).

It's also worth another VP.

One other thing I'll note - it IS possible to land a Bernal. Sometimes it's required, like to use a Synodic Comet as a Dirtside. It's probably not something you'll do often, though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
Avatar
mb
As far as I know, your Bernal can land, though there's rarely a good reason to do that. I seem to recall a game where someone did that in order to do a combat to kneecap the leader in our game, but I might be mis-remembering.

Erstaz Bernals are pretty much what you said, stationary Bernals. You can only boost one once you're Bernal has Promoted and flown away. They may be able to co-locate, but there's really no reason to have your Bernal come back to Earth once it's left. The Erstaz Bernal is mainly there to give you the boost push to your Bernal's location again for when you're boosting White Cards and Colonists.

Edit: ninja'd three times over. That's a new record for me!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernals can land, but they cannot pass through lander burns. That means they generally have to land on fairly small objects (no planets, etc.).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
As far as I know, your Bernal can land, though there's rarely a good reason to do that. I seem to recall a game where someone did that in order to do a combat to kneecap the leader in our game, but I might be mis-remembering.

Erstaz Bernals are pretty much what you said, stationary Bernals. You can only boost one once you're Bernal has Promoted and flown away. They may be able to co-locate, but there's really no reason to have your Bernal come back to Earth once it's left. The Erstaz Bernal is mainly there to give you the boost push to your Bernal's location again for when you're boosting White Cards and Colonists.

Edit: ninja'd three times over. That's a new record for me!


Although it's USUALLY true that there's no reason to have your Bernal come back to Earth, I'll confess to having done it - I was ESA, and I went most of the game using my Bernal itself as my primary thruster (the ESA Bernal actually flies pretty well all things considered - better than the Mass Driver, with the only real drawback being that it MUST be solar-powered). When I finally DID get a thruster card, it was a solar sail that I mostly used as an improved freighter. It was an odd game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
As far as I know, your Bernal can land, though there's rarely a good reason to do that. I seem to recall a game where someone did that in order to do a combat to kneecap the leader in our game, but I might be mis-remembering.
Comet labs are the only reasons. And yeah, I'd forgotten about that part.

Quote:
Erstaz Bernals are pretty much what you said, stationary Bernals. You can only boost one once you're Bernal has Promoted and flown away. They may be able to co-locate, but there's really no reason to have your Bernal come back to Earth once it's left. The Erstaz Bernal is mainly there to give you the boost push to your Bernal's location again for when you're boosting White Cards and Colonists.
Ersatz Bernals also give you your faction privilege back since you lose it when your main Bernal trucks it out of orbit.

Quote:
Edit: ninja'd three times over. That's a new record for me!
Glad to be of service
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cathexis wrote:
CthulhuKid wrote:
As far as I know, your Bernal can land, though there's rarely a good reason to do that. I seem to recall a game where someone did that in order to do a combat to kneecap the leader in our game, but I might be mis-remembering.
Comet labs are the only reasons. And yeah, I'd forgotten about that part.

You also land your Bernal on tiny sites to replenish them with dirt while on the journey.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
improove wrote:

You also land your Bernal on tiny sites to replenish them with dirt while on the journey.


Nyx is very good for this. Never use water for green or white bernal, get thee to Nyx and fill 'er up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.