Hide
6 Posts

Kingmaker» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event Card - Scots Raid - Marshal to Cheviots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Seabridge
msg tools
This card came out of the event deck tonight - when it says "Marshal to Cheviots" is the Noble with that office placed in the Cheviots area (ie just north of the border running from Carlisle to Berwick)?

Assuming so then on his next movement turn is this Noble allowed to enter south of the border into any of the squares and hence continue from there as normal? So, by way of example, he could choose the square with Berwick in it as his first of five squares or alternatively the square with Carlisle in it or indeed any of the other border squares?

On the other hand can he choose to stay north of the border in which case can he be attacked by another faction crossing the same border?

Thanks - Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheviots is in England, not Scotland - one of the four spaces that borders Scotland between Carlisle and Berwick. So the Marshal will be placed in one of those four spaces, not in Scotland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Seabridge
msg tools
OK - my British geography isnt top notch but IIRC the term Cheviots covers an area which is both English and Scottish

However for the purposes of the game it makes a lot more sense than putting him in Scotland - one minor point of pedantry, on my map there are five squares (not four) that border Scotland - one with Carlisle in it, one with Berwick, one with Bamburgh and two in between - this ignores the fact that the map print is rather fuzzy and the square containing Chillingham castle "sort of" takes a nibble into the border at its upper left corner...

Jerry

PS After three full length games, aided by the many excellent responses after reaching out on this forum, I think I'm getting the hang of the basic rules now, many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
MadMikeHoare wrote:
OK - my British geography isnt top notch but IIRC the term Cheviots covers an area which is both English and Scottish

However for the purposes of the game it makes a lot more sense than putting him in Scotland - one minor point of pedantry, on my map there are five squares (not four) that border Scotland - one with Carlisle in it, one with Berwick, one with Bamburgh and two in between - this ignores the fact that the map print is rather fuzzy and the square containing Chillingham castle "sort of" takes a nibble into the border at its upper left corner...

Jerry

PS After three full length games, aided by the many excellent responses after reaching out on this forum, I think I'm getting the hang of the basic rules now, many thanks!

There are actually six - the square with Chillingham (Lord Grey's castle) DOES in fact BARELY touch the Scottish border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sarnecki
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how we read the rules differently.
From memory, the way I always played KM was that the Cheviots are just the two space along the border from Carlisle.
Marshal's choice as to which one.
(Isn't this all clarified somewhere in the rules?)
After all, if you were to play all 6 spaces, why not just call it the 'Scottish Border'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Seabridge
msg tools
Good point - in the Terrain Key table on page 5 of my AH v2 rules it defines The Cheviots as

"4 border squares between Carlisle and Berwick exclusive"

which tells me two things:

1. With that definition is it clear that it is to any one of these four squares a Noble must go when that Event card is drawn (the choice is the player's to make)
2. The square containing Chillingham castle does indeed count as a square on the boarder (even though it barely touches) as there are only three other squares between Carlisle and Berwick (two empty ones and one containing Bamburgh)

You guys are so helpful (two of us spent 30 mins puzzling over the rules last night, neither of use thought to look in the Terrain Key table, grrrr)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.