Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either as a new player

Or filling in for someone who needs to leave?

For the latter, I've gotten into 3 games of Battlestar Galactica in this manner since those people needed to leave earlier/game dragged on a bit longer than anticipated. Here, I had one game where I was paying more attention than not, so it was a relatively seamless transition. Other cases, I needed to be briefed in about things that I wouldn't be able to find out by gleaming at the board and components states, or stuff that I'd be likely to miss otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At a meet up a couple of weeks ago there was a game of Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition) at one of the tables. 2 of the 5 players had to leave early (at different times). Luckily both times the second table had been just finishing up our game, so 2 of us were able to sit in to hunt Dracula's pasty butt.

I'd played it before, but the other player was new... only took about 5 minutes to get him caught up on the rules, so no worries there. While he was getting the rules run-down, the other players refilled their beers and emptied their bladders.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I did this just once in my 15 years of gaming. Coincidentally, it was when some newbie left in the middle of a game of Battlestar Galactica, in a public meeting. I was leaving, too, earlier than usual, after having finished some game. My opponents had to go and it seemed no other game would end soon. So, when a friend asked me if I wanted to replace the guy, I agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, and I wouldn't want to. My strategy is my strategy.

I would also worry about a group where at least THREE times, people left early from Battlestar Galactica. Unless some life and death emergency had occurred, I would think very hard about whether I ever wanted to play again with someone flaky enough to quit a game like that even once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chinagirlgeek wrote:
I would also worry about a group where at least THREE times, people left early from Battlestar Galactica. Unless some life and death emergency had occurred, I would think very hard about whether I ever wanted to play again with someone flaky enough to quit a game like that even once.
Yeah, something's up with that group. If it was just one time I might suspect the player, but three times seems odd (unless it was the same guy every time). Is this a group that takes a really long time? Or to rephrase it... do people join the game expecting it to last X amount of time only to find out that slow players are causing the game to last 2X amount of time?

There's some sort of disconnect going on there if players are routinely joining games and later realizing they don't have enough time to finish the game. Time limitations and how long a game should take should be mentioned up front. Especially after the second time someone bowed out of a game. In the third play I'd have said "This game is probably going to last X hours... so if anybody has to leave around Y, we should probably play something else."

Actually if I'm going to be honest I'd just have said "Battlestar Galactica? We should probably play something else."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Sometimes I've excused myself to the bathroom and asked someone to play my turn for me, but that was in games like Betrayal at House on the Hill and Small World in which it doesn't really matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game. Kingmaker at conventions I always jump at the chance to. Wits & Wagers or other party games, nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took over a game of Snowdonia for someone once. At the time I really wanted to try the game, so after my game finished and since it was getting later, I just watched them play to get up to speed on the rules.

One of the players noticed the time and needed to leave and so asked if I'd take over.

Also played a game of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for a friends birthday and one player suddenly needed to leave because he'd forgotten something. Luckily he wasn't a cylon and was not suspected of being one at all and at our player count it made little difference on the game.

There are also a few games that actually allow new players to join in partway through (Shadows over Camelot comes to mind). But also any game where you have more pieces than players works for this (like Flick 'em Up!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
I took over a game of Snowdonia for someone once. At the time I really wanted to try the game, so after my game finished and since it was getting later, I just watched them play to get up to speed on the rules.

One of the players noticed the time and needed to leave and so asked if I'd take over.

Also played a game of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for a friends birthday and one player suddenly needed to leave because he'd forgotten something. Luckily he wasn't a cylon and was not suspected of being one at all and at our player count it made little difference on the game.

There are also a few games that actually allow new players to join in partway through (Shadows over Camelot comes to mind). But also any game where you have more pieces than players works for this (like Flick 'em Up!).
AFAIK, even though the option to add a new player in Shadows Over Camelot is there, I'm told it can quite unbalance the game.

BSG.. as someone who enjoys the board mechanics just as much (if not more) than the intrigue and hidden deception roles, I've enjoyed jumping into games when the Cylons are already made known. Perhaps even if we've figured out where the Cylon Leader's trying to go with their Agenda/Motive cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.