Hide
15 Posts

HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King» Forums » General

Subject: Scaling issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Herrald
msg tools
Someone told me this game has a huge scaling issue, starts out hard and is super easy and disappointing by the end. Any truth to that? Looking at backing but if true that would remove my interest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jene Weir
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such an issue unresolvable would stay my hand as well.

The difficulty can be adjusted through in-game mechanics (see the rulebook page 36), or, for the creative player, with simple house-rules.

Here is an example to 'focus' the experience:
splindeman wrote:
One simple goal makes it into a puzzly game: Defeat the Undead King in as few turns as possible. Then you'll have to weigh the costs/benefits of each gold spent, make the most efficient choices to build your character (quests vs. bosses vs. ruins), and press your luck often when moving. I could see myself playing the game that way to mix things up.

All the above is for me, ample direction--should I need it--for how I can tailor the difficulty, and my experience with the game (which arrives today!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stutz
msg tools
Think playing with marathon game rules would also help this as well. I’m thinking of trying that way to play soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lyannah wrote:
Someone told me this game has a huge scaling issue, starts out hard and is super easy and disappointing by the end. Any truth to that? Looking at backing but if true that would remove my interest

I asked about scaling when it comes to player count in the kickstarter forum for the next game "The Forests of Adramir" and Jonathan, the guy behind the game, replied:

"We build the game with 2-4 players in mind and the starter level for base difficulty. We've added mechanisms to change up your play experience by adding the Solo play and Double Up variants. These make it easier to run a 1 hero game and also increase the amount of fun to be had in an any size game. Double Up is an absolute whirlwind of power leveling. To answer the question about 2 player game being the most difficult, it is true it is a difficult game on starter for a 2 player game, but that is where the strategy kicks in. There are a TON of mechanisms built in to allow such a group to easily squash the game... if they're careful!"

It seems alot like a game where you are supposed to decide yourself what challenge you want. My problem with this is that I wouldn't know how to do this before I played the game enough. This to me seems like a weakness with the ruleset. I've played games with a similar kind of freedom for the players to decide and this ended quite anticlimactic. When it's too easy it gets boring.

Also, from the quote above as well as from one of his play throughs, Double up for solo play seems exactly like what you mentioned - hard gets super easy.

I really hope this will be dealt with for the next game in line as it seems like a great game concept and it does look alot of fun exploring the map. Perhaps with a recommended difficulty level, roles to fill etc. for each player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lyannah wrote:

I've never found it super easy with 2 heroes. Only thing somewhat easy was late game circumstances but generally have an affliction or 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only scaling issue is down to not moving the difficulty up soon enough, or choosing overly-synergetic champions, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I've only ever played this game by myself and always using a 2-player party. Of the games I've played (lost count but I have used every class at least one) I have only won 4 times. This is after restarting games where I died in the first few rounds of starvation due to some bad rolls.

I don't think the game is easy with 2 players, but I do admit once you hit a certain point you can steamroll some enemies (most all in the circumstance deck and several lesser bosses). When I hit that point I just up the difficulty which makes the battles more difficult.

I did try a game with 3 starting heroes and that was quite easy, though I had the Brute in this group so that may account for the quick victory.

My new goal is to beat the Cryovern, I have fought it twice and died both times. To me, at least, he is stronger than the Dead King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Syreni wrote:
I've only ever played this game by myself and always using a 2-player party. Of the games I've played (lost count but I have used every class at least one) I have only won 4 times. This is after restarting games where I died in the first few rounds of starvation due to some bad rolls.

I don't think the game is easy with 2 players, but I do admit once you hit a certain point you can steamroll some enemies (most all in the circumstance deck and several lesser bosses). When I hit that point I just up the difficulty which makes the battles more difficult.

I did try a game with 3 starting heroes and that was quite easy, though I had the Brute in this group so that may account for the quick victory.

My new goal is to beat the Cryovern, I have fought it twice and died both times. To me, at least, he is stronger than the Dead King.

But why do I as a player have to experience a too easy game before I raise the difficulty? Why can't there be like an act 2 where you're supposed to raise it? I'm not a big fan of making the rules for the games I buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belloque wrote:
But why do I as a player have to experience a too easy game before I raise the difficulty? Why can't there be like an act 2 where you're supposed to raise it? I'm not a big fan of making the rules for the games I buy.

I think that for a game like HEXplore It, the design attracts players that like the journey or story over the difficulty. Now, that's just my guess as I don't know that it's been stated that way anywhere, but that's why I was drawn to it. The difficulty adjustments come in long after I've figured out the mechanics and I'm looking for an additional challenge. But initially, I'm all about playing the game over and over to experience different classes (and their interactions) as well as the story / quest events. The fun part (for me) is in the emerging story as it relates to the setup choices I've made and/or how my character experiences the world.

I hate to use the word "sandbox" to describe it because I know that some people are vehemently opposed to that style, but I do think it can apply here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
Belloque wrote:

I think that for a game like HEXplore It, the design attracts players that like the journey or story over the difficulty. Now, that's just my guess as I don't know that it's been stated that way anywhere, but that's why I was drawn to it. The difficulty adjustments come in long after I've figured out the mechanics and I'm looking for an additional challenge. But initially, I'm all about playing the game over and over to experience different classes (and their interactions) as well as the story / quest events. The fun part (for me) is in the emerging story as it relates to the setup choices I've made and/or how my character experiences the world.

I hate to use the word "sandbox" to describe it because I know that some people are vehemently opposed to that style, but I do think it can apply here.

Story, journey, exploration is what made me interested in the game. Especially the story part I'm hoping will get even more emphasised in the Forests of Adrimon. Actually, it will be my first experience with the game. But I also appreciate a game with a challenge to overcome and preferably thought out and not totally random. Of course the game has alot of random card draws but losing the game because of one unlucky die roll sounds worrying. I'm hoping Hexplore it won't be a roller coaster when it comes to difficulty, that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Marathon play style without Double up. And to be honest: That Mode without Double up ist awful. We played over 5 hours and that is just too much for this game. It dragged forever.

And the Mode just does not fix the difficulty. There is an endgame trigger missing so that you can play as long as you wish. Use the teleportation rune to teleport to the opposite side of the game board to kite the dead king and Level up as much as you want.

Even freeing a City is not a Problem at all. So you can play this game forever without getting to an end.

This is the biggest flaw of the game so that the endgame is no Problem at all. You will win every game if you Level up long enough.

So players who want a challenge have to Come up with house rules.
My suggestions so far:

- Trigger Boss battle after a fixed number of rounds.
- Increase the difficulty after a City has fallen (maybe Rolling dice for that like for placing the dead king on the board to make that a bit more flexible) (so the first difficulty change happens after the first fallen city on the roll of 6; the second change roll on the 5 or 6 etc.)
- Deactivate teleportation when six cities in total has fallen to the dead king (so even if you free a City again - the total amount is meant)
- Copy the Forest of Adrimon fate cycle for Dead King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jene Weir
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
There is an endgame trigger missing so that you can play as long as you wish.

This is the biggest flaw of the game so that the endgame is no Problem at all. You will win every game if you Level up long enough.

Is this an issue of being unable to gauge power relative to the dead king?

We all want an epic finale, but there is no explicit guidance as to when the twain should meet to achieve said climax. This is especially important--avoiding an easy victory--given the time invested in playing, and in particular in marathon mode. I agree that this is an unfortunate side effect of the freedom, as others have mentioned, offered in this game.

Beckikaze wrote:
So players who want a challenge have to Come up with house rules.
My suggestions so far:

- Trigger Boss battle after a fixed number of rounds.
- Increase the difficulty after a City has fallen (maybe Rolling dice fir that like the for placing the dead king on the board to make that a bit more flexible)
- Deactivate teleportation when six cities in total has fallen to the dead king (so even if you free a City again - the total amount is meant)
- Copy the Forest of Adrimon fate cycle for Dead King

House-ruling, or even role-playing, to heighten the need for player urgency, particularly if players aren't actively seeking to defeat the king, makes sense. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't tried it, but it's been suggested that the Dead King could go after the shrines once he's done with the cities. This will accomplish two things to force a final battle. 1) It will shut down the supply of teleportation scrolls, and 2) it will give him hella speed, from a top speed of 7 to a top speed of 11.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nonetheless there is so much time for the heroes to grind that you will be able to defeat him in two combat turns at max until he has destroyed all shrines.

So I do not think that will solve the problem at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This game always reminds me of the old school RPGs from the NES & SNES era. The game starts off quite difficult with several trips to town to refill my food. After a certain point, though, I am sufficiently leveled to handle most anything I encounter. If I spend too much time leveling up then nothing becomes a challenge for a bit. I enjoy finding that balance, though sometimes I just want to be overpowered and destroy everything.

This appeals to certain players. If it doesn't appeal to you then there are other games to enjoy. I certainly hope you can find some fun in this game as plenty others find it an absolute blast to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.