Subject: Ancient Allies: Yanna & Kuma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official anouncement: http://thecityofkings.com/news/ancient-allies-yanna-kuma/

Quote:
Calamis looks out from the battlements of the City of Kings, sensing something it had almost forgotten…

Calamis has been standing there, rooted into that spot for three days now and hasn’t said a word. What is wrong with it? Is it true what they say – The Risen have finally gone mad from the long millennia of struggle and strife they have lived? Attempts to talk to the Risen has failed, attempts to move them have met only resistance. But now, on the dawn of the third day a new breeze enters the city, and it brings with the smell of new growth, and deep woods.

“They have returned,” Calamis finally murmurs, and out of the plains emerge two impossible figures; Yanna Stormtree and Kuma the Old.

“Vesh has found them. The Hippogriffs of Mekael.” Yanna says in their singsong voice. “Will you help me protect this noble folk?”

Ancient Allies introduces a selection of expansions to The City of Kings universe allowing you to pick and choose the new content you would like to add to your world.

Today I would like to talk about the first of those expansions:

The Yanna and Kuma Character Pack

New Characters

Yanna Stormtree and Kuma the Old Man of the Woods return to The City of Kings and join our heroes as playable characters.

Yanna and Kuma both feature advanced skills and are designed for experienced players who are looking for unique ways to play the game. In addition to the normal 12 skills, both characters have a special skill that unlocks as soon as you receive your first stat disc.

New Stories

The pack also comes with 3 new stories which can be played alongside the existing 7, meaning you can play them alongside of after the core story line.

Each of these stories starts you with several skill discs, allowing you to craft a unique role for your character before the story begins, and they feature large 6*4 maps, new challenges, and easier to access linen!

Contents

The pack contains:

- 2 New character sheets and matching standees.
- 22 story cards, containing 3 stories.
- 3 new creature abilities.
- New bosses.
- 1 Ekka token – Which would be Yanna’s pet Wyvern…

Ancient Allies: Yanna & Kuma will be available on Kickstarter on 17th April 2018. If you would like to be notified, you can sign up for the newsletter at the bottom of this page.

Board Game Geek page: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/250977/city-kin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You had me at "easier to reach linen"!

Very excited for this, bring on the 17th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schultze
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I‘m sold
The content doesn’t list standees for the Ancient One - is it correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geschrei wrote:
Ok, I‘m sold
The content doesn’t list standees for the Ancient One - is it correct?

The first line "2 New character sheets and matching standees." include Yanna and Kuma's standees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New bosses seems quite vague compared to the rest...ninja

I’m going to take a wild guess and say four story/scenario expansions available total.

Also I like how you phrased the below sentence. Yes everyone, the character stat tracks are the same but you start customizing your character before the story begins!

TheCityOfKings wrote:

Each of these stories starts you with several skill discs, allowing you to craft a unique role for your character before the story begins, and they feature large 6*4 maps, new challenges, and easier to access linen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Irwin
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm so hyped for this. I'm all in for the new content for this kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
So cool !

I pre-ordered TCoK a while back from Gameslore and I finally received it !

Hence, I wonder whether all thoses expansions/add-ons will be available without the base game in the KS ?

Thanks ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Kleinfall
msg tools
Bigger maps, more stories, additional heroes with new abilities and a pet Wyvern? Gimme, gimme, gimme. TCoK has already become a favorite in my house and more of it is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lillumultipass wrote:
So cool !

I pre-ordered TCoK a while back from Gameslore and I finally received it !

Hence, I wonder whether all thoses expansions/add-ons will be available without the base game in the KS ?

Thanks ;-)

The extra content will be available individually, so you could just purchase the Yanna & Kuma character pack, or you could buy other things as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a great concept for new characters! Would also love to see if you had any ideas for adding that "special skill on first stat disc" for the original CoK characters too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
This seems like a great concept for new characters! Would also love to see if you had any ideas for adding that "special skill on first stat disc" for the original CoK characters too?

Hey Dillon, I'm glad you like the concept!

The plan has always been to have the 6 base characters, and as people get more familiar with the game, to introduce some more advanced characters. I don't have plans to change the existing hero character sheets, but there are certainly concepts being tested for adding new things to all the heroes in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Will the expansion fit the original box? If not, will there be an option to purchase a bigger box to fit everything (plus possible future expansion) in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original box is full to the brim: there is no way we will be able to fit anything else in (actually, my lid doesn't slide all the way down with sleeved cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enral wrote:
Will the expansion fit the original box? If not, will there be an option to purchase a bigger box to fit everything (plus possible future expansion) in?

Hi J, this is very dependant on what version of the game you have, whether you sleeve your cards and so on. If you have everything, and it's all sleeved, then I'm afraid not.

We will be doing a slightly larger box which will accomodate the current content and expansions.

However, I cannot confirm the new box will be big enough to hold all future expansion content, as I hope to continue growing this game for many years to come. The currently considered approach is with a future "large" update, we'd move to a second large box - But that's a long way off!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
100% bought.

I didn't really want more characters but hadn't considered the concept of more complex ones.

I basically wanted story and got that. Wanted new mechanics and got that with new creature abilities. Happy Greg. But I also got new bosses and advanced heroes. Didn't even know I wanted those but turns out I do .

Well played Frank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
TheCityofKings wrote:
enral wrote:

Hi J, this is very dependant on what version of the game you have, whether you sleeve your cards and so on. If you have everything, and it's all sleeved, then I'm afraid not.

We will be doing a slightly larger box which will accomodate the current content and expansions.

However, I cannot confirm the new box will be big enough to hold all future expansion content, as I hope to continue growing this game for many years to come. The currently considered approach is with a future "large" update, we'd move to a second large box - But that's a long way off!

That's great to know! Looking forward to the launch on KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Like gloomhaven i really hope this reprint offers miniatures, just a thought. I know there not necessary but some people love them (myself included - its a sickness really) and i cant help but think it would help you get even more success, which is a good thing for everyone interested in this project. Maybe just as an add-on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mitchell
United States
Snyder
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kulky wrote:
Like gloomhaven i really hope this reprint offers miniatures, just a thought. I know there not necessary but some people love them (myself included - its a sickness really) and i cant help but think it would help you get even more success, which is a good thing for everyone interested in this project. Maybe just as an add-on?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1968219/introducing-city-ki...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kulky wrote:

Minis are listed on the page linked above mate. Your wish has been granted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beat me by a few seconds Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Frank... Any more info on the new creature abilities? I'm really interested. Would it be one of each colour? And if so would it include several copies of each ability?

I think you can add a lot of replayability and enhance the tactics by adding things like this. I'm intrigued to hear more.

Also.. will the new heroes have the same stat layout of the base?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
Wow, your world and art keeps amazing me. I want to live in that world!

Man, I just opened the box for my first game and then I read this. You promised us more content and I am very glad you are expanding this world.
But for now, the core box is more than enough on my plate. I hope the kickstarter runs for some time, so I can get a few games played and then wish for more
Thank you so much for this game and upcomming expansion. It is a joy to uncover the world you created!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregolution wrote:
Frank... Any more info on the new creature abilities? I'm really interested. Would it be one of each colour? And if so would it include several copies of each ability?

I think you can add a lot of replayability and enhance the tactics by adding things like this. I'm intrigued to hear more.

Also.. will the new heroes have the same stat layout of the base?

I'll release some information about them in the coming weeks, but they do a combination of things whilst keeping in theme the new characters and their stories.

There will be at least one for each colour, and for the mediums new combinations. They are directly aimed at forcing new strategies and countering existing ones, so better suited for more experienced players.

The new characters will start with the same base stats, although Yanna has a maximum heal/attack of 8 and not 10. They do both have the "first disc skill" on their skill trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gompel wrote:
Wow, your world and art keeps amazing me. I want to live in that world!

Man, I just opened the box for my first game and then I read this. You promised us more content and I am very glad you are expanding this world.
But for now, the core box is more than enough on my plate. I hope the kickstarter runs for some time, so I can get a few games played and then wish for more
Thank you so much for this game and upcomming expansion. It is a joy to uncover the world you created!

I'm very pleased to see your game finally arrived with you! The Kickstarter will run from April 17th - May 16th and hopefully will have a late pledge manager too aslong as the campaign goes well enough.

I can wait to release more content as the years go on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.