Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Alexandros three times so far; twice there was a kingmaker situation at the end, and the other time there was a princemaker situation (the last player to move could decide who came in second). I realize there's a big learning curve for this game, and all of these games had 2 or more newbies, so perhaps with experience players can avoid being mathematically eliminated. Still, the fact that you can generally always choose whom to pick on (assuming you have the cards) means that it's potentially easy to swing the balance of power at game end.

So here's my (untried) suggestion to add some randomness to the game-end condition, which I hope would help avoid kingmaker situations: put ten black sticks and ten red sticks into a bag, and when the last black stick that's not in the bag is used up, start drawing sticks from the bag. As usual, the first red stick signals that the game will end this turn. (You might need to add five or ten black sticks from Transamerica to balance out the chance of the game ending much earlier than it would normally.)

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.