Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Solo System» Forums » General

Subject: Tail Feathers ala Dropzone Commander rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone try this system with Tail Feathers? I saw someone did Dropzone Commander so it looks doable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a link of someone doing it with Dropzone Commander? I'd be very interested in that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actually heard of either game, so cannot comment specifically.

With that said, the Solo System can work for just about any game with one notable exception: The system cannot bluff. If there is a bluffing mechanic, then you will have to invent something to get around that part.

So for example, if you are playing Magic the Gathering, then you will have to play the game open handed. If the central game mechanic is bluffing, then it won't work.

If playing Lost Cities, then the AI drew it's card at the beginning of the turn as opposed to the end and we still played open handed.

I did manage to play the game with Twilight Imperium and had no problem whatsoever. All information had to be open though.

The system is meant to be unpredictable. The system does not always make the smartest decisions and will have some difficulty with long term planning ... and so you should implement a handicap for the system to make up for this.

If you want the system to make really smart decisions, then be prepared for the game to take double the time it normally would to play it. (Mostly because you have to come up with plausible moves that the system may or may not actually do.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
I haven't actually heard of either game, so cannot comment specifically.

With that said, the Solo System can work for just about any game with one notable exception: The system cannot bluff. If there is a bluffing mechanic, then you will have to invent something to get around that part.

So for example, if you are playing Magic the Gathering, then you will have to play the game open handed. If the central game mechanic is bluffing, then it won't work.

If playing Lost Cities, then the AI drew it's card at the beginning of the turn as opposed to the end and we still played open handed.

I did manage to play the game with Twilight Imperium and had no problem whatsoever. All information had to be open though.

The system is meant to be unpredictable. The system does not always make the smartest decisions and will have some difficulty with long term planning ... and so you should implement a handicap for the system to make up for this.

If you want the system to make really smart decisions, then be prepared for the game to take double the time it normally would to play it. (Mostly because you have to come up with plausible moves that the system may or may not actually do.)


Unfortunately there is hidden information at the beginning of the round during the Mission phase and it doesn't get revealed until the end of the round. That's a big part of the game but it could be removed.

However it sounds like, with the handicapping, etc, that if I want a decent challenge, I should just find a way to play hard against myself instead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Do you have a link of someone doing it with Dropzone Commander? I'd be very interested in that.


I saw it in the pictures of this forum, for the Solo System. I'm at work but will see if I can dig them up.

EDIT: Not good with inserting the geeklink to the pics but here's one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3788190/solo-system

The username is there. Let me know if you find out how it works.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
radchad wrote:
I haven't actually heard of either game, so cannot comment specifically.

With that said, the Solo System can work for just about any game with one notable exception: The system cannot bluff. If there is a bluffing mechanic, then you will have to invent something to get around that part.

So for example, if you are playing Magic the Gathering, then you will have to play the game open handed. If the central game mechanic is bluffing, then it won't work.

If playing Lost Cities, then the AI drew it's card at the beginning of the turn as opposed to the end and we still played open handed.

I did manage to play the game with Twilight Imperium and had no problem whatsoever. All information had to be open though.

The system is meant to be unpredictable. The system does not always make the smartest decisions and will have some difficulty with long term planning ... and so you should implement a handicap for the system to make up for this.

If you want the system to make really smart decisions, then be prepared for the game to take double the time it normally would to play it. (Mostly because you have to come up with plausible moves that the system may or may not actually do.)


Unfortunately there is hidden information at the beginning of the round during the Mission phase and it doesn't get revealed until the end of the round. That's a big part of the game but it could be removed.

However it sounds like, with the handicapping, etc, that if I want a decent challenge, I should just find a way to play hard against myself instead.


Another alternative and would work extremely well to add challenge to your game would be this:

You play your turn as you would normal. The Solo System does not choose what ever it would play during the Mission phase. Instead it makes its decision about what to play at the end of the round when it has full knowledge of what happened that round. Built in handicap and removes the bluffing limitation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Do you have a link of someone doing it with Dropzone Commander? I'd be very interested in that.


I saw it in the pictures of this forum, for the Solo System. I'm at work but will see if I can dig them up.

EDIT: Not good with inserting the geeklink to the pics but here's one:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3788190/solo-system

The username is there. Let me know if you find out how it works.


Thanks! That’s actually dropfleet commander, not dropzone commander. Different games in the same universe. I feel like doing dropzone would be easier though, as dropfleet has more hidden information.

Thanks though - now I’m interested in trying this out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
dreadknot69 wrote:
radchad wrote:
I haven't actually heard of either game, so cannot comment specifically.

With that said, the Solo System can work for just about any game with one notable exception: The system cannot bluff. If there is a bluffing mechanic, then you will have to invent something to get around that part.

So for example, if you are playing Magic the Gathering, then you will have to play the game open handed. If the central game mechanic is bluffing, then it won't work.

If playing Lost Cities, then the AI drew it's card at the beginning of the turn as opposed to the end and we still played open handed.

I did manage to play the game with Twilight Imperium and had no problem whatsoever. All information had to be open though.

The system is meant to be unpredictable. The system does not always make the smartest decisions and will have some difficulty with long term planning ... and so you should implement a handicap for the system to make up for this.

If you want the system to make really smart decisions, then be prepared for the game to take double the time it normally would to play it. (Mostly because you have to come up with plausible moves that the system may or may not actually do.)


Unfortunately there is hidden information at the beginning of the round during the Mission phase and it doesn't get revealed until the end of the round. That's a big part of the game but it could be removed.

However it sounds like, with the handicapping, etc, that if I want a decent challenge, I should just find a way to play hard against myself instead.


Another alternative and would work extremely well to add challenge to your game would be this:

You play your turn as you would normal. The Solo System does not choose what ever it would play during the Mission phase. Instead it makes its decision about what to play at the end of the round when it has full knowledge of what happened that round. Built in handicap and removes the bluffing limitation.


That is interesting, I may give that a try. Initially I thought that I could get around them going at the end of the round by just preparing for each possible outcome and pick the one that would be most devastating for me. Then I realized I'd do exactly that against a real player anyway.

I did forget about bidding for initative. That's a key component as well as it can be very important. I guess I could handicap and just let them go first always? Or... Perhaps just random could be even better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.