Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The absolute necessity of digital board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Later this year I will be going on a vacation with the in-laws. My mother in-law plays games up to and including Evolution, so it is not as painful. My father in-law however, took 30 minutes to understand Skip-Bo. Thankfully, I have 3 games already on the IPAD and by later this year, a couple more good ones will be out. Obviously developers are looking out for me. I owe them one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could bring a physical solo game .... just sayin'

whistle
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could play games online at various web sites.

Pete (dwells mostly over at yucuta.de)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I've found with digital board games: crappy AIs.

It's no fun to wipe the floor with a badly-playing AI. It's even less fun to be creamed by an AI that you're not sure is cheating or not.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Or you could bring a physical solo game .... just sayin'

whistle

No chance. I try to take carry-on only, and I want to game on the plane.
Yucata? No chance, not interested in the majority of the games on it.
Bad AI? Not really an issue. I suck at most games and also play pass and play with the Mrs.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about playing against AI or Digital games against real players? online or hotseat. I tend to like games digital if they are against real players. Even better is Tabletop simulator against my steam friends. Games against AI are only fun until you surpass their strategy. Like C Bazler said, they can cheat too.

+1 to pass n play
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle
Who in the world would want a vacation without games? What kind of vacations are you taking man?
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle


No chance, "vacation things" involve being around a lot of people, lots of traffic, and lots of sunlight. Can't have too much of any of that so need to have alternative plans.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
Or you could bring a physical solo game .... just sayin'

whistle

No chance. I try to take carry-on only, and I want to game on the plane.
Yucata? No chance, not interested in the majority of the games on it.
Bad AI? Not really an issue. I suck at most games and also play pass and play with the Mrs.
I have a tablet loaded with board games too. For me there's no such thing as a good or bad AI...they're all "bad." Whether it "beats me" or "loses to me" is just a question of difficulty settings chosen by the programmer. When I play against an AI, I mostly ignore the "competition" and try to play my best game. I realize that AI is largely arbitrary and treat it as a 1-player game or, more likely, a 1-player practice.

As for Yucuta, wow, there's over a hundred games over there and you don't like any of them? Maybe check out some of the other sites then? If that's not your scene, that's cool, but I enjoy playing human players a lot more than any AI, even when the human player is less "competitive" than the AI, at least I know it's not just preprogrammed.

Pass and play truly rules. I don't really have anyone to do that with when traveling.

Pete (usually when traveling just plays actual "1-player games" in the form of crossword/puzzle books)



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
Or you could bring a physical solo game .... just sayin'

whistle

No chance. I try to take carry-on only, and I want to game on the plane.
Yucata? No chance, not interested in the majority of the games on it.
Bad AI? Not really an issue. I suck at most games and also play pass and play with the Mrs.
I have a tablet loaded with board games too. For me there's no such thing as a good or bad AI...they're all "bad." Whether it "beats me" or "loses to me" is just a question of difficulty settings chosen by the programmer. When I play against an AI, I mostly ignore the "competition" and try to play my best game. I realize that AI is largely arbitrary and treat it as a 1-player game or, more likely, a 1-player practice.

As for Yucuta, wow, there's over a hundred games over there and you don't like any of them? Maybe check out some of the other sites then? If that's not your scene, that's cool, but I enjoy playing human players a lot more than any AI, even when the human player is less "competitive" than the AI, at least I know it's not just preprogrammed.

Pass and play truly rules. I don't really have anyone to do that with when traveling.

Pete (usually when traveling just plays actual "1-player games" in the form of crossword/puzzle books)





Absolutely agree with human competition being better than AI in every way, which is why I only play the app stuff alone, or with the in-laws. (which in my cause the AI is better than they are...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle

My wife hates games. Vacations = no games for me. So when I go on vacation it's pretty much the only time I'm not thinking about games. I KNOW I'm not playing any during that time so that whole urge to play just seems to subside.

But it's surprisingly refreshing to just enjoy people, places and new things without that constant urge to play. Sometimes I wonder if I have a hobby or an addiction. But at least I know I can step outside of it for a at least week or more knowing that it will be there for me when we get back.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:

My wife hates games. Vacations = no games for me.

cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a binder of PnPs. Solves all kinds of traveling problems.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. :whistle:


Has the great game Inquisition brought charges against Joe for such blasphemous statements we have had to endure this day? :D

Seriously...what does he think vacations are for!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle


Has the great game Inquisition brought charges against Joe for such blasphemous statements we have had to endure this day?

Seriously...what does he think vacations are for!


Apparently some abstract construct referred to as vacation things.

Roastedlaugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a tablet full of board game apps. they always seem like such a great idea, especially when they go on sale. plus, they can't rust or rot so no one can tell how little i play them just by brushing up against my tablet! yessir, it is quite satisfying to have all these games to browse through for a twenty minutes before giving up and checking bgg again.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Barronmore wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. :whistle:


Has the great game Inquisition brought charges against Joe for such blasphemous statements we have had to endure this day? :D

Seriously...what does he think vacations are for!


Apparently some abstract construct referred to as vacation things.

Roasted:laugh:


I'm sure we could find a box top to rent the corner of to show our horror at such a statement. :)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Barronmore wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle


Has the great game Inquisition brought charges against Joe for such blasphemous statements we have had to endure this day?


I know . . . I know . . . what the heck was I thinking? Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather K
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me introduce you to this fantastic geek list.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ward
msg tools
mb
Agreed that digital board games are great. I like having digital board games as both a way to demo games before I buy the physical version and to play on the bus or with saved games in short spurts at work during breaks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Hong Kong
State of Mind
flag msg tools
badge
I don't even drink!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Or you could do "vacation things" instead of playing games. whistle


For me and the wife, vacation is when we do most of our gaming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dayi Fu
msg tools
Rumbelow wrote:
i have a tablet full of board game apps. they always seem like such a great idea, especially when they go on sale. plus, they can't rust or rot so no one can tell how little i play them just by brushing up against my tablet! yessir, it is quite satisfying to have all these games to browse through for a twenty minutes before giving up and checking bgg again.


Me IRL.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.