Zach
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
This game is beautiful and I’ve been looking for more dice based games to add to my collection when I’m not feeling burning my brain with Mk, Mistfall, dungeon alliance, etc.

I’m about to add Of Dreams & Shadows and Eldritch Horror Horror to my collection (the prior already ordered, the second ordering soon.)
I’m wondering with those two games, would this game be too similar to really justify picking up?

The game is beautiful, but it looks pretty similar to both.

Any thoughts from those that have played this and one or both of those?

Thanks!
Zach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zb1035 wrote:
This game is beautiful and I’ve been looking for more dice based games to add to my collection when I’m not feeling burning my brain with Mk, Mistfall, dungeon alliance, etc.

I’m about to add Of Dreams & Shadows and Eldritch Horror Horror to my collection (the prior already ordered, the second ordering soon.)
I’m wondering with those two games, would this game be too similar to really justify picking up?

The game is beautiful, but it looks pretty similar to both.

Any thoughts from those that have played this and one or both of those?

Thanks!
Zach

I haven't played of dreams and shadows, although it is something I have looked at before.

As for EH, I can state that GoK is completely different. In GoK he narrative and theme are from your actions and the places you go and what you find, so your whole story is formed directly from your actions, while in EH it is a more obvious written narrative.

Also, the combat in GoK is more rewarding to me than the combat in EH, as is the growth of your hero. In EH you tend to get a little more powerful as the game moves forward, but not exponentially so, whereas in GoK you really feel your character go from a basic character to a powerful hero.

GoK takes less time than EH for sure, but still manages to fit a lot of depth into that time. Plus it has competitive as well as cooperative/solo mode, so it has some additional options.

And as you mentioned, it's gorgeous, and in my opinion has the best art in any game ever released.

There is definitely room in any collection for both EH and GoK, no doubt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you for the response. I’m thinking you’re right.

The art is so damn gorgeous I want it right now just to look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the others but can testify to what Justin said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bee M
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I passed on Of Dreams and Shadows, but only because I have a decent amount of Eldritch Horror collection built up and to me those games seemed very very similar in style and play mechanics albiet minus the Mythos/Cthulhu vibe. I do like Greenbrier games alot and fully backed the 1st KS of Folklore for what that is worth in relation to my choice in not picking up ODaS.

GoK as mentioned, stands on it's own when compared to the former two and is quite different. A better comparison might be Talisman (for generating narrative and moving around a map, building up your stats etc.), but I'm hesitant to use that comparison because of the love/hate feelings associated with that game (I love it personally).

GoK is much more of a true 'magical/fantasy adventure/questing' game than the other 2 on your list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.