Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Cure for Book Collecting?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harvey Dearden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I spent years (decades!) buying books faster than I could read them. Buying the book kinda meant I was half way to reading it. I don't have this problem any more. The cure? - I now buy war games faster than I can play them.

How on earth do the likes of 'calandale' or 'marnaudo' get to acquire, understand and PLAY so many games? Am I'm missing a trick here somewhere? I also see that Marco is a dad and typically has many books in the background. I can only trust that he hasn't actually read them yet - but he is 'half way there'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This bothered me until a few years ago when I read an interview with some author that said a bookshelf should not be for showing off all the books you have read, but is more useful for storing books you have not yet read as a personal library to browse for good new books to read. I started looking at both my book and game collection like that and now the amounts of unplayed games or unread books do not bother me the slightest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
This bothered me until a few years ago when I read an interview with some author that said a bookshelf should not be for showing off all the books you have read, but is more useful for storing books you have not yet read as a personal library to browse for good new books to read. I started looking at both my book and game collection like that and now the amounts of unplayed games or unread books do not bother me the slightest.

+!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What cured me, finally, was moving everything I owned from an apartment into a house, and from my parents' attic into my own place. I realized I had been lugging around boxes of books that I had kept since college, comic books since I was a teen, games I hadn't played in years.

The physical effort of carrying all this stuff from old place to car, from car to new place, box by box, trunkload by trunkload, was in itself exhausting, proving that these things own you, if you let them.

Slowly, I went through the painful discipline of selling and donating much of this horde. I still have books and games. I don't think I'll ever part with my four issues of The Dark Knight Returns, not anytime soon.

As for books, I go to the library first, and then (if the library doesn't have it), I get it on Kindle. That way, I can read the books without owning them, storing them, carrying them, and then, some day, selling or donating them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cure for Book Collecting?

If you discover such a remedy, keep the vile substance away from me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been collecting since I was a teenager and have been in the same quandary... until I became a dad. Now I seem to making a significant dent in my "own but have not read section."

The only other thing I can say is this: every once in awhile I take a pile of books I know I won't read or reference again and take it to a place like half price books and sell them. Of course, I never leave without spending some of the money I just acquired but at least I have cleared shelf space for new books.

I also used to collect comics but now have my collection down to about 5 long boxes of key issues ( I have a complete run of Frank Miller Daredevil) Recently, I gave up on collecting comics and now just pick up the trade paper backs instead. Cheaper in the long run and much, much easier to store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:

I know a guy who quit, drinking, smoking, collecting books, and playing wargames. All in the same day.

It was a lovely funeral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Marco doesn't sleep.

For me, I have way too many unplayed games. But, if I focused on
spending my free time on playing, I could do a lot better. The way
I play, it takes me a week to finish something I should be able to
play in an evening. Plus, I have the advantage of not understanding
what I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thankfully, no; the condition is terminal ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My cure for collecting so many book that they are in piles due to a severe book shelf shortage is to get a Kindle. At least now the piles aren’t getting any bigger and I can, at least, travel around with my library of unread books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm a lot better about reading the books I buy, and I have a lot, many inspired by wanting to learn more about the subject covered by my latest wargame purchase. The games on the other hand are a different story and I've only played about half of what must now be closing in on 400 titles. In the past year it has gotten really bad with probably over 15 purchases where I have taken off the shrink, admired the components and then shelved the game. But I long ago realized I'm about half game collector so that doesn't bother me. Thing is the darn books keep getting in the way of doing some solo play in the evening. Just easier to read a good book before going to bed. The huge GCACW pack is on its way and also a book about the Atlanta campaign which will foil my getting it on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
CaissiaC wrote:

How on earth do the likes of 'calandale' or 'marnaudo' get to acquire, understand and PLAY so many games? Am I'm missing a trick here somewhere? I also see that Marco is a dad and typically has many books in the background. I can only trust that he hasn't actually read them yet - but he is 'half way there'.

Comparing oneself to others is seldom a healthy exercise. Focus on each moment in your life. That's what matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
My bookshelves measure 169 linear feet if placed end-to-end. Thus I have no clue what you're on about. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Read like I do ... about 60-70 pages an hour. Took three novels with me on my recent vacation ... the first was done before the outbound plane landed, the second one complete on day two after: my wife's morning lap swim, and then a morning and afternoon on the beach, and the third one day by the fourth morning.

Fortunately my ability to comprehend wargame rules isn't at that speed. Weeks later and I'm still trying to understand Empire of the Sun's rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Read like I do ... about 60-70 pages an hour. Took three novels with me on my recent vacation ... the first was done before the outbound plane landed, the second one complete on day two after: my wife's morning lap swim, and then a morning and afternoon on the beach, and the third one day by the fourth morning.

Fortunately my ability to comprehend wargame rules isn't at that speed. Weeks later and I'm still trying to understand Empire of the Sun's rulebook.

That sounds unfortunate rather than fortunate to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Perez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twice addicted:

- Books

- Wargames

shake shake shake gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
DaveyJJ wrote:

I dunno, lately I've been feeling annoyed by this built-up desire to get through games and books. So, I've been trying to slow down and savor them. If doing so still makes me feel pressured, then I have too many games/books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

The problem I have is that I find biographies of aircrew, pilots etc who flew and fought in ww1 and ww2 sitting on shelves of charity (thrift) shops.
Nearly all of the people involved have passed on and I see these windows into the past just left there. My shelves are like a retirement home for these old memoirs. it drives my wife mad!shake

Other genres I like, which invariably are all things military.

Specifically:

Age of sail,
Submarines,
Ww2
Ww1
Napoleonics
American Indians ... sorry cowboys!!whistle

I think by having a few books on each subject you can find out about the not so well known facts at a particular battle e.g.:

The Battle of Trafalgar 1805 (not the London riots). The Captain Digby of HMS Africa (50guns) missed the signal to give chase to the Spanish/French fleet, the night before.
When he realised what was happening he set sail to catch up and when the Allied fleet turned back to Cadiz was able to catch up! He went along the whole line blasting at everything his ship could until he came up upon the San Tissma Trinidad (the biggest ship afloat 140guns) put his ship alongside and captured it!! - not David Howarths words but mine from his book- Trafalgar the Nelson Touch.

Another amazing account is from the German Ace pilot Heinz Knock - I flew for the Fuhrer, his accounts of his career and attacking the US heavy bombers head on is astounding! You almost see the wall of lead he flew into, so well written.

Enough of my ramblings... I don't know what will cure me?? Probably when I kick the bucket??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My cure for collecting books has been collecting games.

It sounds like a joke, but there is a grain of truth in it. Over the last 15 years my game collection has increased five fold while my book collection has halved.

In one of my books, "freakanomics" they say that the number of books in a child's home is one of the things that correlates the most with academic success at school. This is apparently not about whether the books are read by the child or not, but lots of books is an indicator of an upbringing favourable to academic success. I wonder what will happen to kids of parents that only books through electronic devices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dal Bello
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Why would one look for a cure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Chee
Australia
flag msg tools
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
badge
"The destiny of nations is shaped by the plangent vicissitude of destroying enemy flattops, interdicting their convoys, and severing their reinforcements and supply lines. And, if you make ace along the way... well, that's just gravy."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never been unduly worried about acquiring books faster than reading them, and the invention of e-readers has only exacerbated it. It is not something to be "cured", as having a love of reading and knowledge should be embraced for the vicarous pleasure and escape it provides.

I am, however, a lot more circumspect these days about new titles to curate and add to my reading backlog. A good deal of my reading is e-books from the library - can borrow titles anywhere, anytime and download them, and the three-week loan period (sometimes extended to six) is pretty good motivation to get on with the reading. (And the service, like dead-tree libraries, is free.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

Yeah, I read most of my books on a device. I make the font HUGE. Means I can get through a 4500 page book in about 6 hours. Gives new meaning to "it's a real page turner". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:

Never thought a cure was needed. The books will be read and the games will be played. Someday.
If I'm not playing them quickly enough for others, then oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
My cure for collecting books has been collecting games.

It sounds like a joke, but there is a grain of truth in it. Over the last 15 years my game collection has increased five fold while my book collection has halved.

In one of my books, "freakanomics" they say that the number of books in a child's home is one of the things that correlates the most with academic success at school. This is apparently not about whether the books are read by the child or not, but lots of books is an indicator of an upbringing favourable to academic success. I wonder what will happen to kids of parents that only books through electronic devices.

Not true in my case.
My habbit of collecting books is fueled by wargames. When I'm playing a wargame about a topic I don't know a lot about... I have the habbit to start looking for books about the topic.

Just to give an example... I recently bought a book about the Franco Prussian war to read when I'm playing At Any Cost: Metz 1870
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.