Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

Trying to fathom out the rules here and as a Brit, I think it's more about me understanding the terminology rather than the rules.

My only sketchy knowledge of American Footie is that you have four goes to try and get the ball ten yards and if you do you get another four (downs) to get another ten yards...so please bear with me on this modest

I think I've sussed out a lot of the rules but struggling with the kicks.

Q1. REGULAR KICKOFF
The receiving team can do one of the following:

Roll dice and run the ball out of endzone (the PLAY die may lead to a
Penalty, Turnover, Breakaway return, or Broken Play - ball on 20yd line).

....So what happens after this does the ball go to the defence or does the offence (the ones running/kicking the ball out start a first down from where the ball lans?

Q2

ONSIDE KICK
Place ball on 30yd line and roll dice. Move ball forward by the total rolled.
For kick to be successful, sum of dice must be 10 or more AND at least one
‘T’ must appear - otherwise, receiving team gets ball with no return.

...same again what happens next and what does...'gets ball with no return'mean.

Q3
Why would you want to do a punt kick on the 4th down instead of trying to score a field goal or touchdown? Isn't a punt kick just kicking it to the defence?

Q4
. If there is a penalty, assess the penalty yardage rolled (5A is automatic 1st down on defensive penalty, normal 5yds for offensive penalty).

...What happens here if its an offensive penalty with a 5A. Does the play change hands and the defence become the offence with a 1st down?

Thanks guys and please be gentle lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1. REGULAR KICKOFF
The receiving team can do one of the following:

Roll dice and run the ball out of endzone (the PLAY die may lead to a
Penalty, Turnover, Breakaway return, or Broken Play - ball on 20yd line).

....So what happens after this does the ball go to the defence or does the offence (the ones running/kicking the ball out start a first down from where the ball lans?

The kicking of the ball signifies a change from Offense to Defense. So, other than the start of the game or the second half the kicking team just scored on offense and is giving the ball to the other team to start their offensive plays. So, the receiving team, the ones the ball is being kicked to, will get the ball and be on offense.

Q2

ONSIDE KICK
Place ball on 30yd line and roll dice. Move ball forward by the total rolled.
For kick to be successful, sum of dice must be 10 or more AND at least one
‘T’ must appear - otherwise, receiving team gets ball with no return.

...same again what happens next and what does...'gets ball with no return'mean.

... the team getting the ball starts on offense. Normally, with a kickoff or punt, the team getting the ball gets a chance to move the ball towards the endzone as part of the kicking play. From the first question, the ball is "run out of the endzone", that is called the "return". For this case, there is no return so the receiving team cannot move the ball towards the endzone

Q3
Why would you want to do a punt kick on the 4th down instead of trying to score a field goal or touchdown? Isn't a punt kick just kicking it to the defence?

If the field goal attempt is missed, the other team gets the ball on the yard line where they attempted the kick from. If you don't think you can be successful on the field goal attempt you can punt the ball downfield so the other team will have further to go in order to score. Lets say you have the ball on your own 20 yard line and it is fourth down. The likely-hood of hitting a field goal or scoring a touchdown is very very slim. If you attempt it and fail, the other team will start their offensive possession on your 20 yard line and they don't have very far to go to score. However, if you punt the ball and they end up starting their possession on their own 20 yard line they have to move the ball 80 yards to score instead of 20.

Q4
. If there is a penalty, assess the penalty yardage rolled (5A is automatic 1st down on defensive penalty, normal 5yds for offensive penalty).

...What happens here if its an offensive penalty with a 5A. Does the play change hands and the defence become the offence with a 1st down?

Thanks guys and please be gentle lol

A penalty means one of the teams broke a rule. If the team is on defense and is penalized, the ball is moved towards the endzone the offense is trying move to. The "automatic 1st down on defensive penalty" means you move the ball to the yard line the offense needs to get to in order to get the first down. if they needed six yards for a first down, you move the ball six yards. Otherwise, you just move it the five yards.

On offense, you move the ball backwards so the ball is further away from the end zone being moved towards for a score.

The teams do not switch from offense to defense (known as switching the sides of the ball). The penalty just makes it easier or harder to get a either a first down or a score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Doug that seems to make a lot more sense.

I think I will have to play the game to see how it all hangs together.

Cheers again much appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Squires
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sayburr wrote:

A penalty means one of the teams broke a rule. If the team is on defense and is penalized, the ball is moved towards the endzone the offense is trying move to. The "automatic 1st down on defensive penalty" means you move the ball to the yard line the offense needs to get to in order to get the first down. if they needed six yards for a first down, you move the ball six yards. Otherwise, you just move it the five yards.

This is not quite correct. A 5A such as defensive holding indicates a 5 yard penalty on the defense and the offense gets a first down. So, if it was 3rd down and 34 yards to go for a 1st down and the defensive player was guilty of holding, the offensive team gets to move forward 5 yards and gets an automatic first down. It looked like the above poster is indicating the offense would move the ball forward 34 yards which would give them a first down.

An additional thing to keep in mind with penalties is that a team can't be penalized any more than half the distance to their own goal line (with the exception of defensive pass interference and other spot of the foul penalties). For instance, if the offense is at their own 10 yard line and one of their linemen holds, it is normally a 10 yard penalty. You don't move the ball back to their goal line in this case, you move it to the 5 yard line (half the distance to the goal). Likewise, if the offense has the ball on the defense's 4 yard line and a defensive lineman jumps offside, do not give the offense a touchdown. Instead move the ball two yards closer to the end zone (half the distance to the goal).

There's a bit more about penalties, but I haven't played that game so I'm not sure if the other information is relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.