Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume just about every backer here was a fan of the very original. I would love to hear who everyones number one pick was.

I can allready tell you that when my copy hits the table, most of my players will be fighting over Chun Li.
There will be a real street fight to determine who gets their pick of fighters!

Who did you play most?

Poll
What character was your most played from the original 8 SF II roster?
Tell us why they were your pick.
RYU
KEN
CHUN LI
GUILE
BLANKA
ZANGIEF
E HONDA
DHALSIM
      152 answers
Poll created by MajaiofDreams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am one of the rare E Honda fans.
I remember I selected him once by accident and ended up doing very well. I figured out all his moves instantly and felt in synch with his style.
From that moment forward, I was an E Honda fan.
It felt good to deviate from the same characters everyone seemed to pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Blanka player.

I'm not good enough for tournament play but I dominate casual play with him, to the point where I would pick other characters just to not fully annoy my brothers or friends when playing.

I find that if you know his basics, throw/grab ranges and when to use them, and can trigger his electricity without telegraphing it to your opponent, the fact I couldn't do his Cannonball Rolls with any reliability and did not know his Supers/Ultras (I was coming from the original SF2, but I would often pick up SF4 or SF5 casual play at cons) was not a major handicap.

I'm sure that a dedicated tournament player with a decent grasp of his main would just know the answer to all my tricks and wipe me, but Blanka is a great main to at least get to intermediate levels of competency at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Molina
msg tools
mbmb
When I first played SF2 I was constantly playing Ken. Idk why but his character was just appealing to play as. Later on I became a Blanka main in SF4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried my best to not play ken/ryu which was all everyone seemed to play in local arcades. So I tried Guile but was pretty lousy with him.

In the modern era once I moved to SFIV it was E.Honda all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Van Brandt
Italy
Forlì
flag msg tools
I got the game when I was about 9 so I mostly played with Dhalsim, because he could easily hit his enemy from most places on the screen because of his stretchy limbs. Though, to beat Bison, I had to switch because Dhalsim's simple attacks weren't fast enough (and memorising the big moves was too hard). I think I ended up beating Bison with Ken, but it was more perseverance than skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Originally in the arcade I used Guile, however once I learnt to pull of a dragon punch I never looked back and became a Ryu main.

Ryu is pretty much my favourite male fight game character of all time, even won some tournies with him.

That being said I have always found Ken's theme to be one of the greatest themes ever made, I have loads of remixes and versions collected lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lakoduk
msg tools
Ryu was my main. I was a kid so the wandering warrior cliché was new and fascinating to me. Not to mention he was one of the few characters I was able to figure out several of his special attacks.

Dhalsim was probably my least played. I found him more difficult to play when compared to the others so I never took the time to learn to play him effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mlai00 Mlai00
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guile, firstly because the pizza joint's arcade machine sticks were s**t (always half-broken from scrubs who jam on the sticks) so the simple linear motions for special moves can still work reliably.

Secondly, because I liked his 80's American Hero design. But I liked his original face, which wasn't so comically and unrealistically angular as it is now. He used to look like a young Christopher Walken rather than the current Schwarzenegger parody.

Also in his original standing animation, he seemed to be cursing constantly. That or chewing gum. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiatroll Chiatroll
msg tools
I was 10 years old in 1991. E Honda had easier controls similar to why so many picked guile he was a sumo.. and rapid slap against corners was amazing before I got better at the game and played people who were better at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved this so much I once got detention for week sneaking off to play it at the local leisure centre, where our school had swimming lessons, when we were meant to be congregating at entrance waiting for everybody else.

Similar to some above I started out with guile then moved Ryu, but tried to cycle through other characters just so was competent and not overly annoying destroying people (mainly my brother) with Ryu.

Got SFIV that play on PS3 every so often, but I’ve also got everdrive versions for SNES and Megadrive. At time I was a SNES fanboy after initially having an MD, but going back now the Megadrive and six button pad is a great game! I still default to RYU and do go through other characters but I do tend to stick with the original 8 and bosses.

I love this and can’t wait to get it, but there is an irony that video games looked like they were going to wipeout board games for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inx Hartschild
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bruh... Did the poll run out of options?
Fe Long! He was number one! Ken is number 2...

MajaiofDreams wrote:
I assume just about every backer here was a fan of the very original. I would love to hear who everyones number one pick was.

I can allready tell you that when my copy hits the table, most of my players will be fighting over Chun Li.
There will be a real street fight to determine who gets their pick of fighters!

Who did you play most?

Poll
What character was your most played from the original 8 SF II roster?
Tell us why they were your pick.
RYU
KEN
CHUN LI
GUILE
BLANKA
ZANGIEF
E HONDA
DHALSIM
      152 answers
Poll created by MajaiofDreams

I only played Super Street Fighter II Turbo... Because there were like 8 versions, he may not have been in Street Fighter II. If not, was a good add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original SFII just had the 8.

Then there was super SFII that unlocked the 4 bosses.
Then Turbo introducing the 4 new challengers.

So yeah, my poll is pre Fe long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
E.Honda's hundred hands was just too cool to not play him. I used to love edging forward while bashing the buttons. Of course I learned the hard way you can just sweep or jump in on Honda, but still the coolest attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Because I just looked this up the other day

Five arcade versions:

SF2... Original 8 + 4 bosses
SF2 Champion Edition... 4 bosses now playable
SF2 Turbo... No new characters
Super SF2... 4 new characters (Cammy, T.Hawk, Fei Long, Dee Jay)
Super SF2 Turbo... Akuma as secret boss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guile player, here. Ryu was pretty cool too, but Guile is my boy.

Sadly, he's less fun to play in later iterations of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.