BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Miniature game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I own Blood Rage and Zombicide and love them, especially Blood Rage. I enjoy painting large size minatures. I like strategy games. Sadly, i have a hard time finding players to play with me. My teenager plays zombicide with me once in a while.

I am looking for my next miniature board game. I was looking at Rising Sun but it seems a little too complex for my teenager.

I also saw The Others ... looks like fun with very nice miniatures.

Warhammer 40,000 ??? Not sure!!! Seems like a money pit for me if i get into it.

Any suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Dungeon crawler with an app that makes it full coop. Great minis. More complex than Zombicide for sure. Not that bad with the app, and once you get into it you can get some great synergy going with the class decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
Floral Park
NY - New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you like Star Wars? Imperial assault for skirmish mode or Star Wars legion just came out also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles: Pantheon

Bye
Thanee

P.S. The Others has "nice" miniatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own Zombicide and Blood Rage, aren't you familiar with KickStarter and all the miniature games on it?

Anyway, Zombicide In Spaaaace will start next week, so should be a good value for miniatures, should have large ones (usually included towards the end), and you're already familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all for your suggestion, I'll have to take a closer look at each of them.

Concerning Kickstarter, I have seen the ads on this site but I am not too sure how it works. The way I understand it is you pay in advance for a boosted game. Its eventually produced and sent to you but it takes months ... am i right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much! You're funding the product in advance, rather than buying it from a store. There's no guarantee that your funds will result in your receiving product, but CMON, who produced Blood Rage and Zombicide, are reliable enough that they will deliver on a game you pledged for. However, find out how much costs will be to Canada, since international shipping may be more expensive than retail. Definitely ask question on the Zombicide: Invader. Starts in only three days, but you have an entire month to make your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about deciding on the subject matter first and then find the miniatures and rules to play it. This is what miniatures gamers be doing for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Mythic Battles: Pantheon

Bye
Thanee

P.S. The Others has "nice" miniatures?

+1, beautiful, fun exciting KS game about Greek Mythology and all their myths including miniatures such as Zeus, Heracles, Hydra, and Minotaur.

This game is only available through KS, but the good news is that it is expected to reprint June 7th. It will probably take a few months to get to you, but considering this is a reprint and not a brand new campaign, the turn around time should be shorter than Pantheon’s first KS.

Oh, not to mention Mythic Battles will have a future games such as Mythic Battles Ragnarok which will be the Norse Mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about; Doctor Who: Exterminate! The Miniatures Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ed123play wrote:
How about deciding on the subject matter first and then find the miniatures and rules to play it. This is what miniatures gamers be doing for years.

That is why i finally chose Rising Sun. Always loved Japanese culture. I loved Blod Rage and this was a logical choice in th end.

The minis are awesome and will make a nice display between game nights.

Thanks to all for the recomendations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There some nice MDF model buildings you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't large size minis but hubby and I just got War of the Ring (Second Edition), played 4 games so far and very impressed by it. It's certainly worth the investment of effort to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Memoir 44? It’s a game with miniatures, but to me delivers all I need to satisfy that miniature war game itch. It helps that it’s also one of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played.

If you mean painting and collecting tabletop miniatures games, then there are loads out there. I thought I was done with them but a buddy and I have started playing Test of Honour from Warlord Games recently. It’s a pretty cheap and excellent samurai themed game, inspired heavily by samurai movies.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yannsolo1975 wrote:
Ed123play wrote:

That is why i finally chose Rising Sun. Always loved Japanese culture. I loved Blod Rage and this was a logical choice in th end.

Well done, 'cause the minis are really a-ma-zing! I mean, basically, they're not tabletop sculpts.
(Imperial Assault also does a great job with its minis, but nothing close in terms of art, even if I love that game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Solanum wrote:
It isn't large size minis but hubby and I just got War of the Ring (Second Edition), played 4 games so far and very impressed by it. It's certainly worth the investment of effort to learn.

I forgot to mention I already have War of the ring 2nd edition.

Wonderful game but i find it difficult to find players, everybody thinks it is too complex. And the minis are rather small. I am not done painting them!!! That's another project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Desrochers
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Herman92 wrote:
yannsolo1975 wrote:
Ed123play wrote:

Well done, 'cause the minis are really a-ma-zing! I mean, basically, they're not tabletop sculpts.
(Imperial Assault also does a great job with its minis, but nothing close in terms of art, even if I love that game.)

Being a big Star Wars fan ... this might be my next buy!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are hundreds of options to look through here:

* Tabletop miniatures games by rank
* Board constrained Tabletop Miniatures Games
* Confined Corridor Combat
* Miniatures Skirmish Systems
* 30 Years of Skirmish Games
* 30 Years of Dudes on a Map
* Fantasy Dungeon Crawlers with minis by BGG ranking

The big question is what you are after. Miniatures are in everything now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yannsolo1975 wrote:
Herman92 wrote:
yannsolo1975 wrote:
Ed123play wrote:

Being a big Star Wars fan ... this might be my next buy!!!

There is plenty of Star Wars games from Fantasy Fight Games at the momment, but there is lots of toys out there which can also be used. like Star Wars Micro Machines which been used with the Full Thrust rules for years. Checked out the Star Wars Miniatures wiki for some options.

I purchaced a load of Hot Wheels toys which I aquired from £1 shops for my Star Wars game.

Through there are also these great Fan Made 40K downloads; https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/2015/04/08/codex-star-wa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire. Good game, great miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:

Just house rule the penalty for going through your deck first to just having other players drawing three cards and reshuffling if need be. Also, it is highly overproduced so you are paying more than you should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This new game could be intresting; What A Tanker!. All you need are a few Tank models to play a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fahad Malallah
Kuwait
flag msg tools
mbmb
you can never go wrong with Warhammer 40,000: Dark Imperium, you will enjoy putting up the miniatures then painting them ( only bad thing it will make you hate all other miniatures other company produces ), also you can find players for it everywhere world wide ( except where am from LOL ), so if your teenage not welling to play with you, others will.

i also recommend Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespirenice mini's joy to paint, solid game play, and teenagers love it because it is quick ( my boy is 12 and love it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
For just a bit of skirmishing, you could do a lot worse than Conan (which is available retail, but is also due a new Kickstarter soon which I imagine should include the base game in addition to some new expansions).

You're probably still in time to late pledge Batman: Gotham City Chronicles, which is essentially a 2nd edition of the same game, but based on the top DC Comics character rather than the half-naked barbarian. It looks a little more complex than the Conan version to me.

Edit: spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Large miniatures, strategy game, no overly complex rules? The first thing that came to my mind was Cthulhu Wars.

Sure, it's expensive, but the miniatures are awesome, the game is fun too. For four or five more days they have their Cthulhu Wars products in the shop of their website 25% cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.