Subject: Clarification needed - colonies, activations, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game tonight and a few questions came up.

1 - For U.E.S. Bluford 5120-E. The deploy ability requires no charges, but has an arrow and 1 point. Am I correct in understanding that it activates the deploy ability of the card to the left, not the main (blue) ability?

2 - UE.S Zudov 2056-G caused two questions. First - can it be used to trade with a colony card, so as to move a colony card to a less valuable position? Second - it has a deploy, that parallel to its main ability, says 'Exchange this card with any other card on your board.' While I assumed this means 'red' facing card, I was unsure because it does say 'any'. Can it one switch a red deploy with a blue?

3 - Can two charges of the 'set a die to any value you want' ability be used on the same roll, to for example get an instant 12? And in general - is there a limit to the number of activations that can be played in one turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achire wrote:
I played my first game tonight and a few questions came up.

1 - For U.E.S. Bluford 5120-E. The deploy ability requires no charges, but has an arrow and 1 point. Am I correct in understanding that it activates the deploy ability of the card to the left, not the main (blue) ability?

2 - UE.S Zudov 2056-G caused two questions. First - can it be used to trade with a colony card, so as to move a colony card to a less valuable position? Second - it has a deploy, that parallel to its main ability, says 'Exchange this card with any other card on your board.' While I assumed this means 'red' facing card, I was unsure because it does say 'any'. Can it one switch a red deploy with a blue?

3 - Can two charges of the 'set a die to any value you want' ability be used on the same roll, to for example get an instant 12? And in general - is there a limit to the number of activations that can be played in one turn?

1. If the ability is red then yes only the deploy ability.

2. No idea.

3. No restrictions that I know of and yes you can use both charge tokens to set both dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Good questions! Looks like Rick covered 1 and 3.

2. "...any card on your board" is meant literally "on" you board. So yes, it would exchange with a card on your board and not deployed above your board. The two cards would just swap spots, this card becoming undeployed and the other card becoming deployed.

Edit: Totally answered this wrong. Rules on pg. 23 cover this. Playtested this card both ways and my memory at 1 am failed me on where we settled on this effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
Oh yeah, and yes it can be swapped with any card, including a colony card. This would be the only way to get get a colony card off your board since they cannot be replaced via purchasing. If you deploy a colony card this way, just discard it since it has no deploy effect.

Wow! So after I posted this thread, I checked the rulebook again and actually found this card explained the rules, except the rulebook seemed to give the opposite ruling. So is the rulebook then incorrect?

The rulebook says, on p.23, "When you use this activation, exchange its deployed sector position with any other card also deployed. For example, you could swap this with a card deployed in your 4 sector, in which case that card would now be deployed in your 9 sector and this card would be deployed in your 4 sector."

Similarly, for the blue side, it only allows blue-blue exchange. You're the designer though, so if you intended it played in accordance with the text on the card, then I'm inclined to go with your ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
Oh yeah, and yes it can be swapped with any card, including a colony card. This would be the only way to get get a colony card off your board since they cannot be replaced via purchasing. If you deploy a colony card this way, just discard it since it has no deploy effect.

I don't understand how this could work with a Colony card. I thought only cards on the board could be swapped with other cards on the board and deployed cards could only be swapped with deployed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Achire wrote:
JohnDClair wrote:

Wow! So after I posted this thread, I checked the rulebook again and actually found this card explained the rules, except the rulebook seemed to give the opposite ruling. So is the rulebook then incorrect?

The rulebook says, on p.23, "When you use this activation, exchange its deployed sector position with any other card also deployed. For example, you could swap this with a card deployed in your 4 sector, in which case that card would now be deployed in your 9 sector and this card would be deployed in your 4 sector."

Similarly, for the blue side, it only allows blue-blue exchange. You're the designer though, so if you intended it played in accordance with the text on the card, then I'm inclined to go with your ruling.

Bew. Go with what the rule book says then. Station-with station (can swap with a colony card), deployed with deployed.

Knew I should have double-checked the rules for what our final decision on that card was before answering. We playtested it both ways and both worked. I'll make a note to the developer that the card text slightly contradicts the rule book. Thanks for the question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
rickert wrote:
JohnDClair wrote:

I don't understand how this could work with a Colony card. I thought only cards on the board could be swapped with other cards on the board and deployed cards could only be swapped with deployed cards.

You got it right Rick, my memory failed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam R
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I just apply space base’s golden rule to it. Blue = your turn, red = someone else’s turn. That’s made the card effects super easy to figure out. Also taking the text on the cards as literally as possible. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.