Hide
7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario question ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Purkiss
msg tools
Spoiler below relating to order of scenarios after 22 plays, for those who've completed the game / are familar with what happens in the scenarios.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Does unlocking 3 locations X, Y and Z mean that you can do the quests when you like or do you need to do them at that specific time?

There are some that don't make logical sense if you do them later on, however X,Y and Z are still added to the map.

For example we went to 13, found the seer who gave us the location of the Necromancer (20), who we then defeated, does this mean with can no longer do scenario 7 (the grotto), as the introduction refers to asking Hail how to get to the the Necromancer (20), which we've already done.

Is it a similar thing with scenario 10 (which refers to having just been at 5)? where you can only go there directly after 5.

Could we also go back to the Inox Encampment later in the game if we didn't do so earlier in the game?

If this is the case why do you unlock 3 locations (put 3 stickers on the map if you're not going to do all of them? as I assume other characters / players couldn't do these as the introductions wouldn't make logical sense?

Would I then be right in saying that the game can be relativily short? as you wont be able to do all the scenarios / play with all the characters at 2 players depending on the path, yet if you start with new characters there are limited places they can go?

We think we've been doing the game correctly aside from maybe one scenario but though I would check at this stage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
mb
If most of your post is about a single specific scenario, then you should mention the scenario number in the post title. That way only people that know that scenario will open the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I didn't read through all of the spoiler, but you should check to see if the scenarios you're unlocking are actually unlocked. Many scenarios will reference other scenarios as being related, but without specifically unlocking them (#14 is the big one for this).

Though I guess if you just power through one of the several "main quests", yes they could feel short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
You can do a scenario whenever you qualify for the ‘technical’ requirements: it should be unlocked (sticker on the board) and you need to have (or sometimes not have) the relevant party/world achievements.

The current composition of the party has no bearing on whether you can do a scenario, except for certain PQ-related scenarios. It’s fine to switch characters in between 2 scenarios that are related.

It is true that, sometimes, story-wise the scenario introduction or conclusion does not make much sense, depending on the order in which you play them. Feel free to fudge the story a bit, in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
That's a fair point, relates mainly to 13, 5 and 7

Didn't want to say too much as to avoid spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
frekol wrote:
You can do a scenario whenever you qualify for the ‘technical’ requirements: it should be unlocked (sticker on the board) and you need to have (or sometimes not have) the relevant party/world achievements.

The current composition of the party has no bearing on whether you can do a scenario, except for certain PQ-related scenarios. It’s fine to switch characters in between 2 scenarios that are related.

It is true that, sometimes, story-wise the scenario introduction or conclusion does not make much sense, depending on the order in which you play them. Feel free to fudge the story a bit, in that case.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

So to clarify we can do 10 and 7 as we have met the conditions.Think we would need to fudge the story a bit in those case, guess we can do that though, just reads in a slightly odd way and it jumps around a bit - but then again it would do I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I more or less abandoned trying to follow the story arc in Gloomhaven because of the problems that you mentioned and the challenge of meeting Personal Quests (which is, after all, the real focus of the game - i.e. unlocking stuff). Nowadays we just do whatever scenarios we want from those that are "legal" and I piece it all together by writing a "Previously in the Saga of <EnterCleverPartyName>" email, which I circulate shortly after the session. I also write a "Next Episode in the Saga..." email shortly before the next session to put the next planned scenarios into context.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.