3 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Sunstalker Strategies/Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Lynch
msg tools
mb
Today was my first run at the sun stalker in my solo "learning campaign" for the people of the stars and it went pretty tough and I've had a bit of trouble wrapping my head around it.

Since it was LY17, I chose a level 2 and he seemed to put out a ton of damage right away.

I had a steel sword, rib blade, cat gut bow, constellation spear, antelope, leather, raw hide. Some leather shields and a steel shield.

I actually ran through the first few hands and it whooped the ass, with one of my guys pulling the trap, and watching people essentially almost get killed in one round.

Then I said, hmmm, this is too much, so I reset the beast to level one by drawing out a few cards from the deck and reshuffling, then things seemed less off the hook, and when I realized it was nearly dead, I put the cards back to see if I could kill it before it got another round. Because I'm just trying to figure this out so I can run it well with a few friends.

I have the impression that if you can hold out from the first rush, it might be less hellacious...

Then again, when the solar flare went off, apparently I'm supposed to discard those and not put them back in the deck, thus taking three hits out of the wound deck and I'm supposed to do that with all the moods, which means I've been making things rougher on myself.

OTOH, I have been executing fights better and better, so that's something.

I'm just thinking it through. Sometimes I'm a slow learner.

Any thoughts? I suppose I will figure it out, but tips and strategies would be appreciated, even if I end up doing whatever I feel like in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bukharajones wrote:

Then again, when the solar flare went off, apparently I'm supposed to discard those and not put them back in the deck, thus taking three hits out of the wound deck and I'm supposed to do that with all the moods, which means I've been making things rougher on myself.

Discard in that case means in the AI discard pile so they can be reshuffled and still count as wounds, right?

You really do need to make good use of the shadows to take him on, and hide for the flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Perry
United States
Coral Springs
FL
flag msg tools
badge
TWIST Gaming
mbmbmbmb
Always recommend going up against a level 1 when facing a new monster so you can get an idea how the fight works. The moods and sun track cards discard to the AI pile to be re-drawn, but you can use this to your advantage because while there are in play the monster those cards are removed from it's life.

Also I really recommend some AI manipulation, Sunstalker can do some really nasty things and controlling/knowing the next AI card he will draw will help a lot.

Other tips, try to attack from the shadows and have weapons with reach. Sunstalker like to move back a space a bunch via first strike cards. Also use HL manipulation for everything to help see who needs to hit what cards.

Take the fight slow and don't rush it. Sunstalker can be brutal if you just go in swinging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.