Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Swapping in free market cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hofland
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
My characters just colleced 10 xp each and reached lvl 2.

I've understood that an informal FAQ/comment allows you to swap in one 2 gold market card in equipement packs for lvl 2 characters. While doing so you have to take out 1 basic card.

Once I reach lvl 3 I could swap the 2 gold market card in my equipement pack for a 3 cold market card.

On lvl 3 I cannot keep the 2 gold market card and swap in another 3 gold market card for a basic market card.

This swapping of card does not include the bless card you can take for a multiclass character (I play with 3 characters).

Just wanted to check as another item on this topic was not fully clear to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of this, but is it necessary? The game is so much easier than Crossfire, you win just about every game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
I saw this rule come by often but where is it printed ?

Do you have a link to the FAQ ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You only swap in Market cards for higher level Adventures in 2p and 3p parties. In a 2p party, both characters get the swap. In a 3p party, only the character taking on two color roles gets to make the swap.

The rules are on pages 27 and 28 and of the Dragonfire Rulebook.

The clarification on the forums is that you always get to make the swap in 2p and 3p parties undertaking Adventures over Adventure Level 1. RAW States you only do it when boosting an Adventure over its default Adventure Level.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daskindt wrote:
YRAW States you only do it when boosting an Adventure over its default Adventure Level.


RAW was being misread as indicating that.

Clarification was that we were reading it incorrectly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
daskindt wrote:
YRAW States you only do it when boosting an Adventure over its default Adventure Level.


RAW was being misread as indicating that.

Clarification was that we were reading it incorrectly.


All do respect, but the rules as written were not being misread.

RAW:

Quote:
MODIFYING ADVENTURE LEVELS
Unless specifically stated otherwise by an Adventure, you can replay any of them at higher Adventure Levels, using the following rules. These only apply when the Party Level is higher than the Adventure Level. If playing an Adventure equal to the Party Level, none of these rules apply:


This heading is in a large font and clearly marks the section for all the following sub-sections:

Quote:
ADDITIONAL XP
ADDITIONAL MODIFICATIONS
FIVE- AND SIX-PLAYER GAMES
TWO- AND THREE-PLAYER GAMES


Once again, please note that the section introduction states, quite clearly:

These only apply when the Party Level is higher than the Adventure Level. If playing an Adventure equal to the Party Level, none of these rules apply:

You’ll even note the colon, indicating that this paragraph applies to all the following sub-sections.

I’m glad they clarified that the RAW are wrong and not what they intended or that they changed their minds. But the RAW were not being misread.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daskindt wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
daskindt wrote:
YRAW States you only do it when boosting an Adventure over its default Adventure Level.


RAW was being misread as indicating that.

Clarification was that we were reading it incorrectly.


All do respect, but the rules as written were not being misread.
...


I agree with you that the the rules as written are what you say. But the designer has clarified the intention, which is what BCZ has said. The rulebook is in error, or a change was made after the printing of the rulebook. The designer has come and posted on these forums at least once to verify that this is the intention. (I know because BCZ asked the designer to do so at my behest.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
keithjones wrote:
daskindt wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
daskindt wrote:
YRAW States you only do it when boosting an Adventure over its default Adventure Level.


RAW was being misread as indicating that.

Clarification was that we were reading it incorrectly.


All do respect, but the rules as written were not being misread.
...


I agree with you that the the rules as written are what you say. But the designer has clarified the intention, which is what BCZ has said. The rulebook is in error, or a change was made after the printing of the rulebook. The designer has come and posted on these forums at least once to verify that this is the intention. (I know because BCZ asked the designer to do so at my behest.)


Perhaps you did not read my original post. My original post was explaining that the designers had issued a clarification on the forums to indicate that the RAW were wrong and they wanted the card swap to occur as explained in 2p and 3p games whenever the Adventure Level is 2+.

That was part of my original post.

The post you are quoting was in response to BCZ insisting that I was wrong in stating the the original RAW were changed by the designers and BCZ insisting that the RAW had simply been misread.

The rules were not misread, unless you interpreted them to indicate that the card swap always occurred. In which case you were misreading the RAW.

The clarification changed the rules. The clarification is a direct contradication of the RAW.

I’m glad for it. I think it makes a lot more sense and is the appropriate balance for 2p and 3p games. I agree with BCZ that it was a needed and necessary change. But it was a change that reversed the RAW on this particular point.

Why BCZ is arguing that the RAW were being misread, I don’t understand. It’s not accurate nor is it important now that the designers have clarified that they want the card swaps to occur whenever the Adventure Level is 2+ in 2p and 3p games (for the dual role characters). But as he was contradicting my explanation of the situation, I wanted to clarify the record.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.