Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

The Quest for El Dorado» Forums » Rules

Subject: are cave tokens worth money ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
patrick st-pierre
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
aside from yellow coin tokens are all others worth 1/2 coin to buy off the market if i dont use its power ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t believe so - I’ve never done that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Though they 'play' like cards, i.e. their action, but they are not cards to use for money. I looked through the rule book because I had the same question. In my opinion they ought to be able to be used as money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick st-pierre
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
im also leaning towards not treating them as cards and using all of the cave tokens (even the yellow ones) only for movement and there powers .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Though they 'play' like cards, i.e. their action, but they are not cards to use for money. I looked through the rule book because I had the same question. In my opinion they ought to be able to be used as money.


The powers on the tiles are all good enough that I can't imagine wanting to discard one for a mere half coin!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Though they 'play' like cards, i.e. their action, but they are not cards to use for money. I looked through the rule book because I had the same question. In my opinion they ought to be able to be used as money.


The powers on the tiles are all good enough that I can't imagine wanting to discard one for a mere half coin!


Which is probably why the play testers & designer thought not to make them be able to convert to money.
thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
killerjoe1962 wrote:
Though they 'play' like cards, i.e. their action, but they are not cards to use for money. I looked through the rule book because I had the same question. In my opinion they ought to be able to be used as money.


The powers on the tiles are all good enough that I can't imagine wanting to discard one for a mere half coin!


Which is probably why the play testers & designer thought not to make them be able to convert to money.
thumbsup


Indeed!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patswix wrote:
im also leaning towards not treating them as cards and using all of the cave tokens (even the yellow ones) only for movement and there powers .

Yellow tokens you most certainly can use to buy a card!

My interpretation of the rules is that the cave tokens cannot be used as “1/2 coin” - but I also agree with qwertymartin, that the powers are worth way more than 1/2 coin anyways... even the 1 machete!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick st-pierre
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
yeah that makes sense to me to the yellow ones should be used in the market but i wish we had an official answer cause i dont like breaking the flow of games with assumptions on rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
does it say in the rule book or mention at all or suggest any of the tokens can be used for money? If not then I'd say no, you can't. That said, I think it'd be cool to add components and/or cards from other games to this one like MTGs Counterspell or Earthquake, LOL!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
patswix wrote:
yeah that makes sense to me to the yellow ones should be used in the market but i wish we had an official answer cause i dont like breaking the flow of games with assumptions on rules.


killerjoe1962 wrote:
does it say in the rule book or mention at all or suggest any of the tokens can be used for money?

Yes, it is in the rule book under the cave token section...
I don’t have the English printed rules handy, but there is a PDF in the files section where someone translated the German rules. It is accurate about using the gold cave tokens for movement OR buying a card.

Edit: page 7 Quest for El Dorado - Official Rules
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick st-pierre
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
your absolutely right i guess i missed that ...here it is from the rule book ...thanks


2 
 Thumb up
55.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries... welcome to BGG! Go get an avatar and some other bling...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I read it that you can use the coin "gold" tokens, not the machete or oar tokens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, obviously the coin ones can be used as money!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Yes, obviously the coin ones can be used as money!

Obviously, and per the rules!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
I read it that you can use the coin "gold" tokens, not the machete or oar tokens.


Agreed. "Alternatively, you can use coin tokens to buy a card." Only the coin tokens are specified for this purpose, which says to me that you can't use the other token types (even valued at a half coin) for card-buying.

As for this:

qwertymartin wrote:
The powers on the tiles are all good enough that I can't imagine wanting to discard one for a mere half coin!


I can imagine it! It could be a last turn last gasp if your draw deck is almost empty: Buy that awesome card that can get you to El Dorado (Say for example the Giant Machete) using most of your hand for money (including tokens in this hypothetical scenario). Then play the card you DIDN'T use for money: the one in your hand that lets you draw more cards, forcing a shuffle and redraw, hoping to draw that big card you just bought.

It's a very specialized situation, and in any case we seem to have reached consensus that using the tokens for half-coin purchasing power is not legal per the rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.