Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Setup rules say you should shuffle the Exploration cards, but does not say to shuffle the Adventure cards. I know green cards are drawn before gold, but do you shuffle the green cards of the same number together?

When I draw an Adventure card, do I need to draw in the order they were packaged? I know they get shuffled when a location is out of cards, but what about the first playthrough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that if multiple green cards are available, you draw a random one of them. So yes, one way to ensure that is to pre-shuffle them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The rules say that if multiple green cards are available, you draw a random one of them. So yes, one way to ensure that is to pre-shuffle them.

Noting that if you have never seen any of them before then any order (e.g. the packaged order) is, for all intents, effectively sorted (edit: ) randomized (with respect to your knowledge of the cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks, I missed the part in the rules where it said to draw a random card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Noting that if you have never seen any of them before then any order (e.g. the packaged order) is, for all intents, effectively sorted.

Sorted, but certainly not randomised. The original sort order is bound to have some biases in what you could find. It's meant to be possible for any of the cards to come up when you first do something, making your game different to every other group playing the game, so it makes it really boring to remove that randomness if you were to use the initial sort order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Noting that if you have never seen any of them before then any order (e.g. the packaged order) is, for all intents, effectively sorted.

Sorted, but certainly not randomised. The original sort order is bound to have some biases in what you could find. It's meant to be possible for any of the cards to come up when you first do something, making your game different to every other group playing the game, so it makes it really boring to remove that randomness if you were to use the initial sort order.

i meant "randomized" rather than sorted :/. Since nobody discusses the order they drew the green cards, they are effectively randomized with respect to any given player's knowledge of the cards and their ordering. Shuffling them out of the box seems like overkill, and adds no new entropy to the game for the first time one encounters those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i meant "randomized" rather than sorted :/. Since nobody discusses the order they drew the green cards, they are effectively randomized with respect to any given player's knowledge of the cards and their ordering. Shuffling them out of the box seems like overkill, and adds no new entropy to the game for the first time one encounters those cards.

I can only agree with you if you are somehow randomising which of the cards you draw from the set of cards with the necessary number. If so, then pre-shuffling is indeed overkill. Pre-shuffling is useful if you just want to draw from the front when playing the game.

If you leave the adventure deck in its original order and draw from the front, then there is a ton of content that you never had a chance to ever see. That's not randomising your choice of card at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.